Creating a Dark Altar

Magical tools that we use in our workings
User3246
Patron Deities: Papa Legba, Shiva, Odin
Your favourite Demon?: Samael , Lord Uphir, Lord Asmodeus, Lord Satan, Lord Mammon, Lord Azazel
Number of Demon Familiars: 17

I am just starting on a LHP, and to me it is important to set up a space that resonates with dark energies. I am wondering if it is acceptable to use an altar space shared with other energy or tasks, or would having one totally dedicated to my dark works and offerings be better? Would it be offensive to have other images on the altar, for instance, an Egyptian Goddess? Candles, incense burners, and offering bowls are a must, but how about an image of a patron demon? Is it better to just have their Enn, or should I have an image AND an Enn? What tools are basic for demonolatry workings and meditations? Is there a list of frequently used materials and incenses? Lastly, how did you pick your patron demon, and do you think that will ever change? Could you share what your altar is like (in general terms)? Thanks in advance for your time and patience! :devilwave:
“If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.” – Jim Rohn

"The Master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Do not rely on ANYTHING, unexamined. If It does not seem to fit, ask about it. If it ultimately degrades or dishonors or holds you back, it is bad for you, so remove it from your life. If it takes from you and never gives back, it is a leech. Discard it. In magick rely only on your own work: What you have seen and done and used for your own self and in your own way. Only keep what in your own estimation is worth keeping. (Hellcat's Rules Of Satanic Magick)"

Don't get too close. It's Dark inside. It's where my Demons hide!

Hailing Satan isn't a hobby, its a lifestyle. (S@tan)
User5191
Your favourite Demon?: DW and the DF
Number of Demon Familiars: 10

SikruaSuncat wrote:I am just starting on a LHP, and to me it is important to set up a space that resonates with dark energies. I am wondering if it is acceptable to use an altar space shared with other energy or tasks, or would having one totally dedicated to my dark works and offerings be better? Would it be offensive to have other images on the altar, for instance, an Egyptian Goddess? Candles, incense burners, and offering bowls are a must, but how about an image of a patron demon? Is it better to just have their Enn, or should I have an image AND an Enn? What tools are basic for demonolatry workings and meditations? Is there a list of frequently used materials and incenses? Lastly, how did you pick your patron demon, and do you think that will ever change? Could you share what your altar is like (in general terms)? Thanks in advance for your time and patience! :devilwave:
Well.... Here are a LOT of questions. Lol
Let me do my best from my stance:
Alters... What feels best to you? Are you planning on walking an individual path that you create, or are you trying to work within the confines of a particular religious practice? If it's more formal, I would follow that guidance. Personally, I say do what works best for you - whatever your drawn to. These days, I work exclusively with demons, so it's pretty easy for me. But, I say let your intuition guide you. Same for offerings and instruments. Some forms of demon work will have more formal setups and tools. Again, adapt and improvise to what works for you. As far as offerings go... It's very specific on what that demon likes, has stated they like, or you feel compelled to offer. After all, they know your intent and that's what is most important.

As far as patrons goes. Do NOT get in a rush. At all. There is simply no reason for you to ever rush into that decision. When the time comes, and you've worked with enough demons, you'll know. Personally, I'm like 95% confident that I know who my patron should be. Even still, I'm in no hurry to jump into it until I'm 100% sure - or they directly tell me. There are also competing views on how to even select a patron... So... Don't rush.

Most people who work with demons will not be super excited at the idea of showing you their set up There are several reasons for that. But, from my stance, I'll give you the GENERAL overview. It's really simple. A bowl (or several) for offerings/ works. Incense. Offerings. occasionally a sigil. A knife. And their spelled/offering stones. Again, with all things, ask demons for help and use your intuition. Intent is like 90% of this game, and the LHP is highly individualized.
"Verily I say unto thee, thou shalt gaze upon my field of fucks, and ye shall see that it is barren." -Bathosias

"Allow me to quote myself" -Bathosias
DoubleD
Patron Deities: Aranunna, Marduk, Anubis, Horus
Your favourite Demon?: Still Learning This
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

Agreed CK, it's all very personal and if you listen to your instincts they will guide you. I have 7 different alters in my temple, each god/demon gets their own and when I work with them I move it to the front of my temple. Each one has different things on it, I just follow my heart. Often times what they ask me to do is go into estate stores or antique stores and look for unique things. I know it when I see it and I always know who wants it.

Take time on the patron, this can't be stressed enough. Once you commit, that's it you are committed and don't take it lightly. this is not like a human relationship where you can sneak around. It's a very serious declaration of love, they are in no hurry and neither should you be...

Return to “Magickal Tools”