meditation while dancing to music?

Questions and Answers for where to begin on the Darker Spiritual Paths.

Moderator: Akelta

Soultransformer

I was just wondering if anyone knows any medition methods of getting into a trance/meditative state while dancing/listening to music. I'm actually going to some hippy beach party this weekend where they'll probably be be playing techno/psytrance and such. I thought might be fun to try it, otherwise I'll just try to find a way myself.
Yllidra
Patron Deities: Lord Leviathan
Your favourite Demon?: Leviathan, Satan, Lucifer, Belial
Number of Demon Familiars: 99

This is a incredible topic to explore as there is much variety and depth to meditative dancing. There are many cultures around the world that practise varying forms of Meditative Dance. Here is a website I found with some information on it.

http://www.trans4mind.com/jamesharveystout/dancemed.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is dance meditation? It is a type of meditation in which we use the rhythm, attentiveness, and an intuitive state which are typical qualities of many types of meditation and dancing -- even dancing which is recreational rather than meditational. Any kind of dancing can be meditative, but there is also a classification of "sacred dancing," which is the use of dance to explore and express our identity as soul.
Movement releases the energy of the body, allows this energy to naturally move through our chakras, stimulating our spirituals senses, and allowing us to enter an awakened state where we are connected to our source and in touch with the power of our spiritual side. The best way to enter this state is to release yourself from the judgments of society and allow yourself to align completely with the music. Step into your energetic self and just let the vibrations take you.
The first time I called myself a 'Witch' was the most magical moment of my life.
Margot Adler,

Just because I'm on a different path doesn't mean I'm lost.
~unknown~

Most witches dont believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they dont believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.
Terry Pratchett
Aprophis
Number of Demon Familiars: 5

You could look into carlos castaneda's tensegrity, which is basically old south american shamanistic dances worked over for general use (normally it was different moves for each individual).
Two Roads diverged in a yellow Wood and I took both, for I am Quantum.
Aksho Kharneth Akhash
Aksho Slaaneth K'Khaa
Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
Aksho Nurgleth Dh'Akh

Sanity is for the weak
Eilana
Lady of Monsters
Your favourite Demon?: Ombre, Mammon, Swallowtail, Sizzle, Elegy
Number of Demon Familiars: 69

Thank you soultransformer for bringing this up!
Yllidra wrote:This is a incredible topic to explore as there is much variety and depth to meditative dancing. There are many cultures around the world that practise varying forms of Meditative Dance. Here is a website I found with some information on it.

http://www.trans4mind.com/jamesharveystout/dancemed.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is dance meditation? It is a type of meditation in which we use the rhythm, attentiveness, and an intuitive state which are typical qualities of many types of meditation and dancing -- even dancing which is recreational rather than meditational. Any kind of dancing can be meditative, but there is also a classification of "sacred dancing," which is the use of dance to explore and express our identity as soul.
Movement releases the energy of the body, allows this energy to naturally move through our chakras, stimulating our spirituals senses, and allowing us to enter an awakened state where we are connected to our source and in touch with the power of our spiritual side. The best way to enter this state is to release yourself from the judgments of society and allow yourself to align completely with the music. Step into your energetic self and just let the vibrations take you.
And thank you Yllidra for this ^-^ think I might try this tonight. Feel like I've done it before but didn't know what it was... lol
:death: :death: :death:

~ Burn the ships to take the island. ~

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Soultransformer

haha cool, nice to know I wasn't the only one thinking of this :)
Eilana wrote:Thank you soultransformer for bringing this up!
Yllidra wrote:This is a incredible topic to explore as there is much variety and depth to meditative dancing. There are many cultures around the world that practise varying forms of Meditative Dance. Here is a website I found with some information on it.

And thank you Yllidra for this ^-^ think I might try this tonight. Feel like I've done it before but didn't know what it was... lol
Thank you also Yllidra, will have a look at this and try it. For anyone interested ,this is the clip that gave me the idea.
fire083
Number of Demon Familiars: 1

I have done this sort of thing for years. I start dancing and just let the music move me, as I go I add intent to my movements.
All my freestyle dancing is basically magic.
To be the left hand of a god.
user1876
Patron Deities: Azazel Rosier
Your favourite Demon?: Azazel Satan Prince Mo Prince V Lucifer Mammon Belial Rosier Babael Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 26

I Have been told this is Something that can be Done now giving ' I Have never tried this Myself it Would be Fun to Do with Some of my Companions they love
different kinds of Music that they love hearing when their around me Witch ' I am all to Happy to play for them it gives them that happy Feeling so they Say but

Meditation while Dancing this is Now on My to Do list for Sure if No more just , To how it Works if its Something that ' I Like and Want to keep doing are Stay Doing Meditations how ' I Have been doing them but this is a Good post it brings Up New Ways of Working with Companions but also Trying a Different Way of Doing My Sessions with them its worth looking in to giving it a Try anyways at least :cloud:
I Have Won Sinner Of The Month Five Times Now ' My Grandmother Always Said either Stand For Something are You Will Fall for Anything ' I am not Just Walking My path . I am Living it !
Red6joker
Patron Deities: Lord Lucifer, Lady Scylla
Your favourite Demon?: Lord Lucifer, Lord Satan, all of my awesome companions
Number of Demon Familiars: 93

From my wife's personal experience, (she loves to dance) that whenever she just dances and gets into that "dance mode" she just drifts off naturally into a trance and starts meditating.
Eilana
Lady of Monsters
Your favourite Demon?: Ombre, Mammon, Swallowtail, Sizzle, Elegy
Number of Demon Familiars: 69

Red6joker wrote:From my wife's personal experience, (she loves to dance) that whenever she just dances and gets into that "dance mode" she just drifts off naturally into a trance and starts meditating.
I have heard this from some people I know who love dancing. I do it for fun and have managed to get into a trance state. I love tapping into the different energies of various genres of music.
:death: :death: :death:

~ Burn the ships to take the island. ~

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Passchendaele
Patron Deities: none (yet)
Your favourite Demon?: Beelzebub, Lucifer, Lord Satan, Marquess Marchosias
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

Soultransformer wrote:I was just wondering if anyone knows any medition methods of getting into a trance/meditative state while dancing/listening to music. I'm actually going to some hippy beach party this weekend where they'll probably be be playing techno/psytrance and such. I thought might be fun to try it, otherwise I'll just try to find a way myself.
I think a place to start would be with whatever music you favor when dancing. There are no "official" guidelines for this. Personally, I love African drumming, and Afro-Brazilian, Afro-Cuban, basically the music of the African Diaspora. It makes me feel alive in a way that no other music does, although I love many different types. Especially Celtic. (More drumming) I also really get into Techno/ House/ Trance because I love dancing and that stuff is fun to dance to, but I don't reach deep trance as easily or as quickly as I do with African music.

The first time I entered deep trance was at a Rainbow Gathering in Minnesota in 1990. The drummers circle there was amazing. They started playing around sunset, and didn't stop until the Sun was well-up the next day. The thing there was that, there were so many drummers, people would drop in and out all night long without causing any disruption, the same with the dancers. People were coming and going constantly, and most importantly, they gave each other space to move in any way the music moved them.
You can't dance like that in a bar or at a concert.

I admit, I was high on ecstasy when I started, but that wore off fast once I entered deep trance and, literally, plugged into the Earth and drew my energy from there. I could feel it move through all my Chakra Centers. That is a close as words will get to describing it. “I” was gone the whole time. There was no “I” There was just Body-Soul-Earth Energy-Drumming- Movement. A constant flow of energy through me, around me, above me, then back into the Earth

It went on (for me) for five or six hours. I am still SOOOO thankful that it happened where it happened, where people knew enough to give certain dancers as much space as they needed.

After that, entering deep trance while dancing is not something I even think about. My body/mind just does it. Although there still is some resistance from “me” because “me” doesn't like giving up control when the result is a clear lesson in Getting On Just Dandy without “me” while in trance.
"Push something hard enough...and it will fall over."
Fudds First Law Of Opposition

“All art that is not mere storytelling or mere portraiture is symbolic...If you liberate a person or a landscape from the bonds of motives and their actions, causes and their effects...it will change under your eyes, and become a symbol of infinite emotion, a perfected emotion, a part of the Dark Divine Essence.”

William Butler Yeats

(The italicized word “dark” is my addition.)

Return to “Starting out on the LHP and the Dark Spiritual Paths”