Behold a Roman Pilum

Art, cultural, and music, share creative things that you love!
Ymirson
Patron Deities: Sutehk
Your favourite Demon?: DC L'
Number of Demon Familiars: 6

So I have still been working at my forge. Just lately I have not been crafting items for my spiritual companions. Although I just started crafting a most wicked item for my Silent Hill Nurse Ms. Kyma. She has inspired me to make something with a twist. I will post that when it is complete.

I crafted this for a friend. It is a Roman Pilum and stands 6'7". I posted this on the other forum as well and just wanted to share.
Attachments
pilum4.JPG
pilum4.JPG (18 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
pilum3.JPG
pilum3.JPG (42.76 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
Phlan
Number of Demon Familiars: 1

Man I dig that so far! You got some mad skill!! :devilgrin:
Ymirson

Thanks Mr Phan. I think binding it to the handle was the hardest part. The handle is pretty flimsy and next time I know to use a stronger one. I am sure this one will snap after a few throws. But the iron will hold out.

That might be another reason why they made them with longer iron stalks than a traditional spear, to get back and re-use and rebuild quickly with less wood.
Phlan

Man.....as an artist of a different sort I dig others art! Random question though what made you get into this? Was it like always a passion or one that just kinda snuck up on you? Also I love the twist part(not sure if there is a proper term for it) was that like hard to do? Or tricky just looks sweet! Also I would not want to be impaled by that hahahaha
Ymirson

I looked into this about 3 years ago right before I left for Afghanistan. Then when I got home, I needed a hobby. I took a class, and started doing it. Like many, I found my great grandfather was a really good smith. I started accumulating items, hammers, an anvil, table, blower. All of which are 100+ years old.

The twisting is the easiest and funnest part, I think. Drawing out things to a point is the hardest, to me anyway. All I do is heat it up until it has a nice orange glow, then place it in my post vice, grab a crescent wrench and twist. It turns like butter. This is usually one of the last things I do. Then after I do the twists, I straighten it on the anvil. I am getting better at my edges too, This piece is sharper yet than my last ones. I felt I had a good point but they were not as sharp as I would like. But this thing is sharp and pointy.

Thanks for the compliment. I feel I am far from an artist and more of a hobbyist. It is way fun to pound on hot iron and shape it. Then put together the final product.
Phlan

No problem! But I think it's art lol hobby seems like a for example when you play guitar and just learn songs. I think art is when you apply what you learned and start to create things in your own vision.
Ymirson

I think you are right Mr Phlan, totally makes sense. I like your definition of art. :devilgrin:
fire083

From what I've understood to form an edge easily you usually want to go to a bright cherry red. Though since I've not done any smithing in this life I could be wrong.
All my freestyle dancing is basically magic.
To be the left hand of a god.
Ymirson

@fire, the edge is pretty easy, yes, but takes more finesse and I use a smaller hammer. Then hold it at an angle on the edge. I am still learning and my edges are improving too. But the twists are easiest to me, now consistency can be tricky as you don't have a lot of time and the area you want to twist.
Akelta
Goddess of the Void
Patron Deities: Satan, Lucifer, Mammon, Azazel, Andras, Paimon, Leviathan, Unsere, The Family
Your favourite Demon?: Tiger, High Prince H, Bear, Oblivion, Quasar, Prince V, Venom, Cadaver, My Family
Number of Demon Familiars: 66

I love it, it is really awesome and I cannot wait to see what you are making for your silent hill nurse! I bet she is thrilled with the offering!
Lover of Demons
Royal Demon Goddess
Darling of Sublime Romance
Daughter of Demonic Macabre

Walk with Satan in Shadow
Rise with Azazel in Potential
Dance with Lucifer Under the Moon
Kneel before Mammon's Throne

Return to “Art, Culture, & Music”