Music Thread

Art, cultural, and music, share creative things that you love!
karenwpi
Patron Deities: Uphir
Your favourite Demon?: Uphir, Pazuzu, Chernobog
Number of Demon Familiars: 3

Wynd Runner wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:15 am
karenwpi wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:26 am

That song is a fun one!

I was in mid-teens when friends gathered new music from NYC and shared in our little section of CT. The music was always on cassettes lolol, a step above our traditional records. Felt very swashbuckling and was always fun and different. I tuned in to the gritty side and also the fun dance-side!
it was so avant-garde at the time. i remember we'd gather in the bus yard and some kid would have a little sony walkman with speakers. We all loved it and couldn't get enough of it. it was so new and fresh!

i think it was also the gritty and raw side that spoke to me so much!

Here's a fun one :wink:

Kurtis Blow – If I Ruled The World 1985
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3s3NfsEXlM
(sorry youtube player is being bad)
I Love that song! It plays on some of my Pandora stations, mostly the Tupac stations.
Karen S
Dragonoake
Patron Deities: Zepar, Delipitore
Number of Demon Familiars: 4

karenwpi wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:48 am
I've seen Waylon Jennings, Elton John, Ratt & of course Poison, ...and Grateful Dead in concert.
We had to drive 80 miles in any direction to find a city bigger than 30 thousand.
It was about double that to go to Minneapolis or Des Moines if you wanted to see an actual concert, and I had no desire to go alone.
I did see Three Dog Night, The Motels, and Leon Russell at The Surf Ballroom (the last place Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper played before their plane crashed a few miles out of town in 1959), but that's pretty much it. Peter Frampton played there in 2007, but it was on a Tuesday night and I had to work at 6 the next morning, so I didn't go to that one.
The first step in working miracles is realizing that you can.
karenwpi

Dragonoake wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:07 pm

We had to drive 80 miles in any direction to find a city bigger than 30 thousand.
It was about double that to go to Minneapolis or Des Moines if you wanted to see an actual concert, and I had no desire to go alone.
I did see Three Dog Night, The Motels, and Leon Russell at The Surf Ballroom (the last place Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper played before their plane crashed a few miles out of town in 1959), but that's pretty much it. Peter Frampton played there in 2007, but it was on a Tuesday night and I had to work at 6 the next morning, so I didn't go to that one.
I feel with the remote living. It's different.

For me, childhood was near bigger cities always.

However, as an adult I spent time in the far north. Only realistic way in & out of the 4500 town was via airplane. I read alot which entailed the full social outing to the library, visited many many people in our respective homes, went to the science talks, picked up hockey & basketball lol, sewed leather dolls, the list. It includes going to town meetings and voting with full knowledge & passion during local elections. Lots and lots of cooking.
Concerts were school children ones....ya know. And church ones lol.
Was endeavoring to share a youtube video but technology is not karen-friendly today. It's called Tikigak Dancers 2017 Alaska Federation of Natives. A lot long, but a few minutes gives a taste of the music. And the traditional dancing that ties into a continued subsistence lifestyle.
Karen S
Dragonoake

Wynd Runner wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:15 am
it was so avant-garde at the time. i remember we'd gather in the bus yard and some kid would have a little sony walkman with speakers. We all loved it and couldn't get enough of it. it was so new and fresh!
Dragonoake

karenwpi wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:02 pm
I feel with the remote living. It's different.
It wasn't quite that remote. We had small farming communities about every ten miles or so, but the average population was around 300 or so. Back in the 80's, David Letterman flew the entire population of one of the local towns (all nine of them, I think) to New York to be on his show.
For me, childhood was near bigger cities always.
The biggest city in the state has a population of 217k
Was endeavoring to share a youtube video but technology is not karen-friendly today. It's called Tikigak Dancers 2017 Alaska Federation of Natives.
A quick search turned up a bunch of videos
Dragonoake

A very straight-laced friend of my GF's loved this song, but freaked out when she found out what a steely dan is :devilshock:

karenwpi

Dragonoake wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:41 pm
A very straight-laced friend of my GF's loved this song, but freaked out when she found out what a steely dan is :devilshock:

Omg really? Yer a funny guy there.

Sorry about the video search. I might have to attack the technology challenge on my weekend. My daughters got excited to see childhood memories so I did manage to send the youtube video via snap lol....

My weekend isn't here yet, but soon! :cheekydevil:
Karen S
Dragonoake

karenwpi wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:19 am
Omg really? Yer a funny guy there.
I wasn't the one that told her.
In fact, I had never questioned the origin of the name until she freaked out about it.
I might have to attack the technology challenge on my weekend.
Isn't technology wonderful?
Especially when it works?
I maintain that if the Machines decide they want to kill us all off, they won't have to build a time machine and send a Terminator back a century...
They'll just all quit working one day....
Thank you very much. You're on your own. Good night.
The older people who still know how to plant a garden and catch a fish would survive, but a lot of the younger ones would starve.
Dragonoake

Nikki Sixx once said you should never piss off a musician because they will write a song about it and tell the world what you did.
If you've ever seen the movie "Yellow Submarine", you might remember the Blue Meanies attacking the people with green apples... At the time, The Beatles were recording on the Green Apple label

In this case, she's talking about the record company executives and a little rumor they dreamed up

Dragonoake

Return to “Art, Culture, & Music”