Phantasmagoria: A Compendium Of Monsters...

Have a book that you love, give it a review here and recommend it to others. Knowledge is power and when we share, we all win.
Anatel
Your favourite Demon?: DH, my twin
Number of Demon Familiars: 16

Ive decided to do book reviews of some of the weird and wonderful books i come across or have in my possession. Today is this little gem: Brevertons Phantasmgaoria- A Compendium of Monsters, Myths and Legends by Terry Breverton.

First of all, just the title "Phantasmagoria" is fantastic. According to the author, "Phantasmagoria is the art of creating supernatural illusions , the gathering of phantoms or fantasies". Mix that with the highly ornate cover remniscient of late Victorian hardcovers, you end up with a very cute little tome, appropriate for all (or most) ages, that is bound to draw attention if left laying out or strategically placed on a bookshelf.

This is a book its ok to judge by its cover because the inside is just as fun. Inside its 384 pages are an adventure through 8 chapters such as "Mythical Monsters, Ghosts, and Things That Go Bump in the Night", "Magical Places of Legend and Reality", and "Flying Monsters, Mysteries, Odd Happenings, Strange Sightings and Legends". While it doesnt give extensive information on each subject, it literally touches on hundreds of creatures, monsters, legends and myths. It gives you just enough to tease, to spark your interest in something. This book talks about dragons, vampires, werewolves, demons (they actually spend a little more time on this one, refreshingly giving the original derivative of the word "daimon" meaning divine intelligence, instead of automatically lambasting them as evil beasts.) There are gorgons, the evil of the banana explained, the Burmuda Triangle, lore of the Number 7, the legendary Mandrake, and the origins of unicorns.

Here's what i dont like: Though it has hundreds of little illustrations scattered throughout, which are excellent, the actual print color is brown. If you have old eyes like I do, you'll have to get your reading glasses on lol But all in all, as critical as I can be about some books, I think thats not a bad run.

As for price, this was very affordable. It retails here in the UK for £9.99 (though i got it on sale for £6).
Attachments
20160807_152329.jpg
Age is a number and an attitude......and a measurement of how far you can toss your boobs- Akelta
User5191
Your favourite Demon?: DW and the DF
Number of Demon Familiars: 10

Yay, pictures!!!! :devilthumbs:

Awwww, thank you for sharing with us. There are so many books out there and so many are a waste. I'm glad you're helping us all out by pointing us to certain pieces, etc., and enhancing the debate on others. I look forward to the next review!!!
"Verily I say unto thee, thou shalt gaze upon my field of fucks, and ye shall see that it is barren." -Bathosias

"Allow me to quote myself" -Bathosias
Darth Moronius

Evil banana!! :crazy:
Eilana
Lady of Monsters
Your favourite Demon?: Ombre, Mammon, Swallowtail, Sizzle, Elegy
Number of Demon Familiars: 69

This book sounds totally amazing, I love monsters so much.
Darth Moronius wrote:Evil banana!! :crazy:
Ok that stood out to me too.

Anatel LOL what is this evil banana you speak of?
:death: :death: :death:

~ Burn the ships to take the island. ~

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Akelta
Goddess of the Void
Patron Deities: Satan, Lucifer, Mammon, Azazel, Andras, Paimon, Leviathan, Unsere, The Family
Your favourite Demon?: Tiger, High Prince H, Bear, Oblivion, Quasar, Prince V, Venom, Cadaver, My Family
Number of Demon Familiars: 66

This book looks fantastic! What an incredible collection of information and for a great price! People ask us all the time, what are the secrets of the occult. What are the secrets of Magick. The secrets are found in books! read and learn and embrace knowledge and master your craft through learning. Any occultist, magician who starts is always told to start with reading as reading is really the first foundational tool on these paths. Before you do, you have to learn how to do, one of the best ways to learn how is through reading.

These books that Anatel is sharing are a wealth of knowledge just waiting to be explored!

We have our evil banana.... he dances... :devilbanana: :devilbanana: :devilbanana: :devilbanana: :devilbanana: :devilbanana:
Lover of Demons
Royal Demon Goddess
Darling of Sublime Romance
Daughter of Demonic Macabre

Walk with Satan in Shadow
Rise with Azazel in Potential
Dance with Lucifer Under the Moon
Kneel before Mammon's Throne
Eilana
Lady of Monsters
Your favourite Demon?: Ombre, Mammon, Swallowtail, Sizzle, Elegy
Number of Demon Familiars: 69

Akelta wrote:This book looks fantastic! What an incredible collection of information and for a great price! People ask us all the time, what are the secrets of the occult. What are the secrets of Magick. The secrets are found in books! read and learn and embrace knowledge and master your craft through learning. Any occultist, magician who starts is always told to start with reading as reading is really the first foundational tool on these paths. Before you do, you have to learn how to do, one of the best ways to learn how is through reading.

These books that Anatel is sharing are a wealth of knowledge just waiting to be explored!

We have our evil banana.... he dances... :devilbanana: :devilbanana: :devilbanana: :devilbanana: :devilbanana: :devilbanana:
hahahaha WE DO!!! I forgot about him :devilbanana: :devilbanana: :devilbanana:
:death: :death: :death:

~ Burn the ships to take the island. ~

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
user1876
Patron Deities: Azazel Rosier
Your favourite Demon?: Azazel Satan Prince Mo Prince V Lucifer Mammon Belial Rosier Babael Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 26

Anatel wrote:Ive decided to do book reviews of some of the weird and wonderful books i come across or have in my possession. Today is this little gem: Brevertons Phantasmgaoria- A Compendium of Monsters, Myths and Legends by Terry Breverton.

First of all, just the title "Phantasmagoria" is fantastic. According to the author, "Phantasmagoria is the art of creating supernatural illusions , the gathering of phantoms or fantasies". Mix that with the highly ornate cover remniscient of late Victorian hardcovers, you end up with a very cute little tome, appropriate for all (or most) ages, that is bound to draw attention if left laying out or strategically placed on a bookshelf.

This is a book its ok to judge by its cover because the inside is just as fun. Inside its 384 pages are an adventure through 8 chapters such as "Mythical Monsters, Ghosts, and Things That Go Bump in the Night", "Magical Places of Legend and Reality", and "Flying Monsters, Mysteries, Odd Happenings, Strange Sightings and Legends". While it doesnt give extensive information on each subject, it literally touches on hundreds of creatures, monsters, legends and myths. It gives you just enough to tease, to spark your interest in something. This book talks about dragons, vampires, werewolves, demons (they actually spend a little more time on this one, refreshingly giving the original derivative of the word "daimon" meaning divine intelligence, instead of automatically lambasting them as evil beasts.) There are gorgons, the evil of the banana explained, the Burmuda Triangle, lore of the Number 7, the legendary Mandrake, and the origins of unicorns.

Here's what i dont like: Though it has hundreds of little illustrations scattered throughout, which are excellent, the actual print color is brown. If you have old eyes like I do, you'll have to get your reading glasses on lol But all in all, as critical as I can be about some books, I think thats not a bad run.

As for price, this was very affordable. It retails here in the UK for £9.99 (though i got it on sale for £6).
' Compendium Of The Monsters Its a Must have its Teaches On Myths Legends and Other Creatures like Werewolves demons Dragons Unicorns Vampires all Good Topics To Read about ' I Will be looking Up this Book Today Were Do you Order all these Wonderful Books at that Your Doing Reviews ON they are Some Of ' The Best Books that .. I Have Seen Reading is My thing its Something that Makes Me Happy Because At One point it Was all that '' I Do Was Read So to help keep My mind Off other things that Wasn't Helping me at the Time But thank you For Warring me about the Fact you had to Get your Reading Glasses ' :lol: I Will keep that in Mind when Ordering this Book its Still Nice :D
I Have Won Sinner Of The Month Five Times Now ' My Grandmother Always Said either Stand For Something are You Will Fall for Anything ' I am not Just Walking My path . I am Living it !

Return to “Book Reviews and Recommendations”