Beyond the Dark Veil- Post Mortem Mourning Photography

Have a book that you love, give it a review here and recommend it to others. Knowledge is power and when we share, we all win.
Anatel
Your favourite Demon?: DH, my twin
Number of Demon Familiars: 16

I recently bought this book and cannot tell you how much i love it. Beyond the Dark Veil is definitely a journey. Its like someone standing behind you forcing you to look at something you normally would run crying or screaming from: death. Not talking about death. Actually SEEING it. I dont love death. What makes me love this book is that it made me look at death a bit differently.

The cover, for a mass produced book, is astonishing. Its a hardback with gold embossed letters and gilt pages. The pictures contained inside are of very good quality. I just needed to put that in there as I really was surprised by how beautiful the cover was.

To the Victorians, death was simply a part of life. You live, you die. It was a harsh time, with primitive medical practices, poor hygiene and plumbing. Disease was common, and as it so often does, targeted the vulnerable. This made them very well acquainted with death whereas, as Marion Peck points out, we are far removed from it in todays society. She notes that "when death comes close to us in the modern world, we don't really know how to act. Somebody dies and the body is whisked away as quickly as possible. Grieving is awkward. Mostly people don't know what to say or do."

In contrast, this book explores the journey of death from an era all too acquainted with it. They chose to take their time in the grieving process. They chose to honor their loved ones with photos, jewellery, clothing etc. this book is a very intimate look at what end-of-life looked like in the Victorian era. It is fascinating and sad and even a bit macabre though i dont feel that was their intention. For them, it was honoring and remembrance.

Be warned: Due to the ravages of diseases picking off the more vulnerable, it should be noted there are a large portion of these death stills depicting young children, which can be disturbing to some readers of a sensitive nature. Those I wont share with you. Instead I will share some of the less disturbing photos in this book.
Attachments
20160903_220757.jpg
20160903_220818.jpg
20160903_221057.jpg
Age is a number and an attitude......and a measurement of how far you can toss your boobs- Akelta
Anatel

a couple more ....
Attachments
20160903_221152.jpg
20160903_221115.jpg
Age is a number and an attitude......and a measurement of how far you can toss your boobs- Akelta
user1876
Patron Deities: Azazel Rosier
Your favourite Demon?: Azazel Satan Prince Mo Prince V Lucifer Mammon Belial Rosier Babael Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 26

Anatel wrote:I recently bought this book and cannot tell you how much i love it. Beyond the Dark Veil is definitely a journey. Its like someone standing behind you forcing you to look at something you normally would run crying or screaming from: death. Not talking about death. Actually SEEING it. I dont love death. What makes me love this book is that it made me look at death a bit differently.

The cover, for a mass produced book, is astonishing. Its a hardback with gold embossed letters and gilt pages. The pictures contained inside are of very good quality. I just needed to put that in there as I really was surprised by how beautiful the cover was.

To the Victorians, death was simply a part of life. You live, you die. It was a harsh time, with primitive medical practices, poor hygiene and plumbing. Disease was common, and as it so often does, targeted the vulnerable. This made them very well acquainted with death whereas, as Marion Peck points out, we are far removed from it in todays society. She notes that "when death comes close to us in the modern world, we don't really know how to act. Somebody dies and the body is whisked away as quickly as possible. Grieving is awkward. Mostly people don't know what to say or do."

In contrast, this book explores the journey of death from an era all too acquainted with it. They chose to take their time in the grieving process. They chose to honor their loved ones with photos, jewellery, clothing etc. this book is a very intimate look at what end-of-life looked like in the Victorian era. It is fascinating and sad and even a bit macabre though i dont feel that was their intention. For them, it was honoring and remembrance.

Be warned: Due to the ravages of diseases picking off the more vulnerable, it should be noted there are a large portion of these death stills depicting young children, which can be disturbing to some readers of a sensitive nature. Those I wont share with you. Instead I will share some of the less disturbing photos in this book.
It sound like a wonderful book . its my first time hearing of such a book in the 1900 their was no cure for a lot of . the Diseases that people would get so death was the only thing they had to , look forward to I am sure the pictures are very Sad .
I Have Won Sinner Of The Month Five Times Now ' My Grandmother Always Said either Stand For Something are You Will Fall for Anything ' I am not Just Walking My path . I am Living it !
Upsidedown

I'm wildly fascinated by death, and death photography is like a glimpse into two worlds at once ("back then", which I also love, and death). The transitons happening after death, necromancy (which I'm more than eager to learning more about), even my own death when the time comes.
A for Adventure.
Anatel

@velle- they are very sad, especially the little ones. I cant be fascinated by death in that context. When one is so young it always seems such a terrible waste .

Icecold wrote:I'm wildly fascinated by death, and death photography is like a glimpse into two worlds at once ("back then", which I also love, and death). The transitons happening after death, necromancy (which I'm more than eager to learning more about), even my own death when the time comes.
I know death is transitional and inevitable. It doesnt mean I embrace it though. I guess thats a human part of me i cant shake. Its probably because i've been too close to it - having a near death experience, being in job where i saw death regularly, having people close to me pass on... i think also having kids kind of makes me leery of it. Which ok, is bizarre since Eurynomous is one of my favourite DLs to work with LOL i make no sense, i know...
Upsidedown

I would rather keep the people and animals I hold close for as long as possible, and the thought I'll be able to communicate with them after death doesn't really make the thought of them dying easier.

I still find death it self interesting, and in many ways, dead people interest me way more than living ones do (hope I didn't come across as too creepy with that last sentence lol)
A for Adventure.
Elyun

For Me I Am Happy For THEM If THEY Live Happily. And I feel that the afterlife is happier and a wonderful world.where I want to go to
Fly Higher and Higher Let wings of love come flying over us!~
Elyun

Of course death scare me can't edit the post
Fly Higher and Higher Let wings of love come flying over us!~
Akelta
Goddess of the Void
Patron Deities: Satan, Lucifer, Mammon, Azazel, Andras, Paimon, Leviathan, Unsere, The Family
Your favourite Demon?: Tiger, High Prince H, Bear, Oblivion, Quasar, Prince V, Venom, Cadaver, My Family
Number of Demon Familiars: 66

Great review! and this book looks incredible rally. I have always been fascinated with Port Mortem Photography, especially from the Victorian Era. It is very beautiful.

it called to me, though I find the energies I pick up from it leave me with mixed emotions. There can be such intense sadness in the photos, and especially in the cases of children it is like an image of a life that will never be lived, a moment frozen in time. It is both beautiful and tragic.

They have started it up again though, Post Mortem Photography of still born babies. There was a time they use to not let mothers see their still born babies, but now they take pictures of them and let them hold them. They say it is a very healing for the grieving parents. I think it was healing for the parents and families in the past as they had that memory of their loved one to remember. There are so many layers to this, as well as all the energies of the little life that was.

Thank you for sharing this Anatel.
Lover of Demons
Royal Demon Goddess
Darling of Sublime Romance
Daughter of Demonic Macabre

Walk with Satan in Shadow
Rise with Azazel in Potential
Dance with Lucifer Under the Moon
Kneel before Mammon's Throne
Eilana
Lady of Monsters
Your favourite Demon?: Ombre, Mammon, Swallowtail, Sizzle, Elegy
Number of Demon Familiars: 69

*sneaks into Anatel's house, hides in the corner and reads the book.... then kidnaps Anatel and drags her to the Mutter museum*

Thank you for sharing this, actually it just gave me an idea...

What you said about this changing the way you looked at death I can relate as going to the Mutter museum of medical oddities did the same thing for me LOL which is why I want to drag you there now :lol:

I am really interested in this book and will have to find a copy for myself. Thank you Anatel for writing this up. It really was a different time then and people have become so disconnected from a lot of things.
:death: :death: :death:

~ Burn the ships to take the island. ~

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Return to “Book Reviews and Recommendations”