Workin' It!: RuPaul's Guide

Have a book that you love, give it a review here and recommend it to others. Knowledge is power and when we share, we all win.
Kharybdis
Patron Deities: Hel, Odin
Your favourite Demon?: Lilith, Leviathan
Number of Demon Familiars: 8

Okay, this is a weird one, but bear with me a moment. I picked up this book because it's currently free reading through Amazon Prime, and because RuPaul's Drag Race is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. I wasn't expecting much from it, really, but I was curious to see what Ru had to say in this little volume.

Imagine my surprise when, in the introduction and first chapter, RuPaul echoes many of the sentiments Akelta has made in her posts regarding the lessons she is learning from the demons! Raise your vibrations, focus on the positives, cut negativity and toxic people out of your life, respect and expect success, be present, build yourself up and love yourself so that you may extend that love to those who deserve it--all of the things that have resonated with me as I have poked around the forum. I never knew RuPaul was a spiritual kind of person! Just goes to show...

Granted, I'm just now about to begin the second chapter (the Drag Queen Diet, apparently), but so far I'm incredibly intrigued--and I feel like, just maybe, my demon companions directed me to it because I specifically needed to see these things being said by someone I respect and find amusing--someone around my wavelength of weird. After all, I had no reason to go browsing for books today amidst all the work I had to get done!

(Bonus Question, because I'm a teacher and this sort of thing is what I do: Have any other books or articles you've read resonated with you in strange places? Have you found pearls of wisdom in places you never would have expected? Do share!)
Kharybdis
Patron Deities: Hel, Odin
Your favourite Demon?: Lilith, Leviathan
Number of Demon Familiars: 8

Update: chapters 2-5 were all about various fashion and style tips, especially for drag queens, so I skimmed most of those as that is not my especial interest. Chapter 6, the last chapter, was a good read in how to attain success, and what success actually means. (Which, again, reminds me of some of the points that Akelta has made in her discussions--fascinating how truth spreads through the most disparate sources!)

So, in summary: if you're a drag queen looking for tips, this is a great book for you. If you're just interested in some salient points about spirituality and success, read it for free on Prime if you have it and focus on the first and last chapter in particular.
User3246
Patron Deities: Papa Legba, Shiva, Odin
Your favourite Demon?: Samael , Lord Uphir, Lord Asmodeus, Lord Satan, Lord Mammon, Lord Azazel
Number of Demon Familiars: 17

I laughed when you said 'guilty pleasures' because watching Ru Paul is one of mine, too! No, I am neither gay nor male but I am bi-sexual. I saw how my Demons supported my blossoming awareness of my own sexuality, and even my darker sexuality. I can relate how hard it is to come into a sexuality that is so different from the 'norm', and one that is considered sick and twisted. :( I am still a loving and lovely person, even if I want my ass spanked while I am tied down at times! My Demons provide an outlet for those sexual impulses that my body can no longer handle, too. I need that. So, I understand Ru Paul, and I love the show. His books are absolutely amazing. He is a very wise being. Yes, it is perfect for free on Amazon, especially since it was so short.
“If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.” – Jim Rohn

"The Master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Do not rely on ANYTHING, unexamined. If It does not seem to fit, ask about it. If it ultimately degrades or dishonors or holds you back, it is bad for you, so remove it from your life. If it takes from you and never gives back, it is a leech. Discard it. In magick rely only on your own work: What you have seen and done and used for your own self and in your own way. Only keep what in your own estimation is worth keeping. (Hellcat's Rules Of Satanic Magick)"

Don't get too close. It's Dark inside. It's where my Demons hide!

Hailing Satan isn't a hobby, its a lifestyle. (S@tan)
Passemoon
Patron Deities: Cailleach, Tefnut, Bes, Kwan Im, Dark Lords

Oh hello. How did I missed this post. Someone mentioned something about being tied down? Takes out my whips to play :excellent:
ImageImage

Don’t only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
Ludwig van Beethoven

Return to “Book Reviews and Recommendations”