Book recommendations on ritual possession / horsing

Have a book that you love, give it a review here and recommend it to others. Knowledge is power and when we share, we all win.
Oflight Lokebrenna
Patron Deities: Loki

Hello everyone,

Well, the thread title is pretty straight forward so...

I'm looking for books with ritual possession / horsing. On the process, how-to, what to do, the works.

I'm looking for both demonic and non demonic related, with a preference to the Norse practices.

If not books, any blog, article, Tumblr post, whatever will do.

I've already been recommended Raven Kaldera and am looking into his work. Though if anyone has any insight into his work, I would appreciate your opinion.

I'm finding it a bit difficult to find much that goes past channeling or invocation...

No, I haven't gone off my rocker. Not entirely. I've already been experimenting with this on my own and so far have had incredible experiences. I figure, though, that maybe reading up on others practice may be a great aid versus me totally winging it and hoping my head doesn't pop off. Haaaa, kidding... Sorta. Hollywood. :P

Anyways! Ah! Please! And thank you!
I'm here and I'm QUEER!!!
Heretique
Patron Deities: Set, Kali ma, guided heavily by Svengali and Lucifer
Your favourite Demon?: Svengali, Lucifer, Paimon, Azazel, Lucifuge Rofocale, Eurynomous, Namaah, Belial, Lord O
Number of Demon Familiars: 6

I've read Raven Kaldera as well and I find him to be very good. Galina Krasskova also has interesting info but her views on something are racist and difficult to stomach somewhat, but her info is useful YMMV of course. Also try Jan Fries "seidways"- it basically has everything you are looking for, its excellent. I think his book visual magick helps as well. I really liked "The Catalpa Bow" but its more Japanese shamanism- which is more my area of interest but it has interesting techniques to help with trance and possession. Also shamanic forums tend to have experiences posted if you are looking at it that way and then of course it depends on what tradition you are interested in. I'll try and drag up some others sources for you if i can find them. Mostly I have been spirit taught and experimented myself with this, lots of practice helps.
Passchendaele
Patron Deities: none (yet)
Your favourite Demon?: Beelzebub, Lucifer, Lord Satan, Marquess Marchosias
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

I am very much looking forward to the responses. This is something of great interest to myself
"Push something hard enough...and it will fall over."
Fudds First Law Of Opposition

“All art that is not mere storytelling or mere portraiture is symbolic...If you liberate a person or a landscape from the bonds of motives and their actions, causes and their effects...it will change under your eyes, and become a symbol of infinite emotion, a perfected emotion, a part of the Dark Divine Essence.”

William Butler Yeats

(The italicized word “dark” is my addition.)
Shifa
Patron Deities: Ceiling Cat
Your favourite Demon?: Basement Cat

Raven Kaldera is known for making up stuff with no historical basis, and he doesn’t clearly define his UPG. I wouldn’t trust anything he says on Loki.
Fall into the depths of nothingness beyond the dark
Shifa

Lokakisa wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:59 am
Raven Kaldera is known for making up stuff with no historical basis, and he doesn’t clearly define his UPG. I wouldn’t trust anything he says on Loki.
Galina Krasskova is an absolute bitch, and I don’t think she separates out her UPG either.
Heretique
Your favourite Demon?: Svengali, Lucifer, Paimon, Azazel, Lucifuge Rofocale, Eurynomous, Namaah, Belial, Lord O

Well considering that northern tradition shamanism wasn't really apparent or readily available in a modern context UPG is kind of the usually case for shamans especially if they are "reviving" and unexplored/ explained tradition. Also they are both spirit taught so i'm not sure how much separation from UPG you want with this. Not that I necessarily agree with what they do or how they approach things, it is/was a relatively unknown tradition before they came at it - I think. In their books they also try to cross correlate with others who practice this. Also as for Loki i'm sure you area ware that he has many faces and many facets, so he may appear very differently to others then to you YMMV of course.

Also more information on the topic, I read a while ago a great tumblr post( which i can't find again sorry) that explained about the energy dynamics of being possessed and how to enhance possession techniques. It stated that basically it works better if our energy centers are hollowed out to an extent, and the more hollowed out the easier it is to be possessed. I find this to be true as well, when I allow a being into my body ( I think they call it transvocation here) I need to be out of the way completely and in a trance so my conscious mind doesn't interfere, the more I can let go the more they can take over, also shielding i find before you begin allows me at least to relax enough that I can let go completely. I've only done full possession a few times with my animal guide way back when I first began and I let her use my body to walk around it- i was watching from 3rd person perspective- also if you have experienced full dissociation from your body its similar to that. Odin says horsing isn't for me either but we will see. I'll keep looking up voudou horsing resources they seem to have some in depth techniques as well.
Oflight Lokebrenna
Patron Deities: Loki

Thank you for the recommendations!

I have also looked into Galina in the past, but I also found her to be problematic. I consider just dealing with it and reading her work to find what is useful to me and pitch the rest, but I also do not want to support someone with those toxic views and by purchasing her work I'd be supporting her. It isn't just Galina I've this issue with; I've found many other practitioners with published work that I debate whether or not to read because they are also bigots. THAT is why it is difficult for me to find suitable material to use as reference. Then I think, though, that everyone has their flaws, and who am I to judge... but then I remember, racism isn't a flaw, and racism is not excusable.

Ah! Sorry, getting a bit carried away there.... Hey it's my thread though. :P

I have been looking into voodoo/voudon practices concerning horsing, and I think this may be the area with the most material on the subject. I haven't yet found anything at this point that I would recommend here.
I'm here and I'm QUEER!!!
Heretique

I think most of it relies on being initiated and there seem to be strict protocols about who can horse and whatnot, so yes it is difficult to find stuff. Unfortunately most of the info i looked into is probably long gone now it was along time ago.
Darth Moronius

Oflight Lokebrenna wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:15 pm
It isn't just Galina I've this issue with; I've found many other practitioners with published work that I debate whether or not to read because they are also bigots. THAT is why it is difficult for me to find suitable material to use as reference. Then I think, though, that everyone has their flaws, and who am I to judge... but then I remember, racism isn't a flaw, and racism is not excusable.
there is story that asatru and voodoo is racist :frowndevil:
Shifa

Heretique wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:38 pm
Well considering that northern tradition shamanism wasn't really apparent or readily available in a modern context UPG is kind of the usually case for shamans especially if they are "reviving" and unexplored/ explained tradition. Also they are both spirit taught so i'm not sure how much separation from UPG you want with this. Not that I necessarily agree with what they do or how they approach things, it is/was a relatively unknown tradition before they came at it - I think. In their books they also try to cross correlate with others who practice this. Also as for Loki i'm sure you area ware that he has many faces and many facets, so he may appear very differently to others then to you YMMV of course.

Also more information on the topic, I read a while ago a great tumblr post( which i can't find again sorry) that explained about the energy dynamics of being possessed and how to enhance possession techniques. It stated that basically it works better if our energy centers are hollowed out to an extent, and the more hollowed out the easier it is to be possessed. I find this to be true as well, when I allow a being into my body ( I think they call it transvocation here) I need to be out of the way completely and in a trance so my conscious mind doesn't interfere, the more I can let go the more they can take over, also shielding i find before you begin allows me at least to relax enough that I can let go completely. I've only done full possession a few times with my animal guide way back when I first began and I let her use my body to walk around it- i was watching from 3rd person perspective- also if you have experienced full dissociation from your body its similar to that. Odin says horsing isn't for me either but we will see. I'll keep looking up voudou horsing resources they seem to have some in depth techniques as well.
Yes, we are lacking a lot of knowledge about the Norse practices.
Still authors should differentiate between what is known and what they pulled out of their ass, or readers will mistakenly think it is all historical.
Of course I am aware of Loki’s facets, what I mean is that Raven has a big Rokkatru stance and leans heavily on UPG as if it’s fact, making up stuff about Loki’s past and relationships that were never detailed in the stories.
I too had a meditation with him about his parents Farbauti and Laufey, but I wouldn’t go around claiming it’s fact.
Authors just need to be clear about where the info comes from (i.e “this is my own experience”) so readers can make their own judgements and have their own experiences rather than believe it’s a true reconstruction.
Ideally people should read scholarly works first, then pagan books ... since the pagan books are largely like fiction.
We all have “personal fiction” but I’m not going to trot it around like it was in the sagas or something.

Return to “Book Reviews and Recommendations”