What does DZ mean?

The answers to the questions our Coven has been asked. Don't see your question? Feel free to ask! :)

Moderator: Akelta

Peppercorn
Your favourite Demon?: Amdusias, Leviathan

First off, I am a beginner to demonolatry but have experience with other spiritual paths. Can someone explain what DZ means/stands for, why it is used to invoke demons, and where it originated? I like to understand the history and traditions around concepts before using them in my own practice. I read "The Complete Book of Demonolatry" by S. Connolly. Amazing book that cleared a lot of confusion and gave me a great starting point, but it mentions DZ multiple times without ever really explaining the details. I also googled it and searched it in the forum with no luck. My apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place.
Musician, toy fanatic, arts and crafts nerd
Lover of things old, odd, and adorable!
I've never quite felt human
Red6joker
Patron Deities: Lord Lucifer, Lady Scylla
Your favourite Demon?: Lord Lucifer, Lord Satan, all of my awesome companions
Number of Demon Familiars: 93

Peppercorn wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:22 pm
First off, I am a beginner to demonolatry but have experience with other spiritual paths. Can someone explain what DZ means/stands for, why it is used to invoke demons, and where it originated? I like to understand the history and traditions around concepts before using them in my own practice. I read "The Complete Book of Demonolatry" by S. Connolly. Amazing book that cleared a lot of confusion and gave me a great starting point, but it mentions DZ multiple times without ever really explaining the details. I also googled it and searched it in the forum with no luck. My apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place.
Never read her book, never heard that term before. Good chance it was explained in her book but you just missed it, happens to the best of us. What I did find after a quick search though is this.

"Daemonolators use it to represent Satan along with eight other deities especially beloved to practitioners. They are Lucifer, Flereous, Leviathan, Belial, Verrine, Amducius, Unsere, and Eurynomous. (Note the corresponding nine points on the ZD/DZ symbol."

Like I said I've never heard of it before. It is not something I use or will use. If you want to follow her example to the letter then that is fine and nothing is wrong with that.
Darth Moronius

i see this: https://qxz.dizajnegarnica.space/belial-sigil.html
"The ZD Sigil calls upon all nine of these deities, unless the intention of the witch determines otherwise: it can serve as a sigil for a given singular spirit i. The ZD sigil is often used to empower rituals of invocation, but it may be used to empower all other workings of demon magick as well.

The ZD Sigil might or might not have been created by someone among the personnel of OFS Demonolatry; I really want to give its creator credit but I have no fucking idea where it came from. I"
Gauche
Number of Demon Familiars: 2

Its literally..a DZ drawn in the air with your hand athame,dagger. It draws on the ones mentioned above. Similar to how some draw the trident symbol/ pitchfork symbol when working with certain other demons. Each point of the shapes represent the demons mentioned.
Just imagine a desperate scream from far away;You can't hear what its saying but you know whats about to happen and its going to be really...painful

Gauche
Number of Demon Familiars: 2

In reference to S.Conolly, its done that way. When I work with my own companions,I sometimes draw their sigil in the air instead or I may draw their sigil on paper and draw the reiki symbol for distance in the air and focus on their sigil. Depends on how you're wanting to work with them,really
Just imagine a desperate scream from far away;You can't hear what its saying but you know whats about to happen and its going to be really...painful

Peppercorn
Your favourite Demon?: Amdusias, Leviathan

Thank you for the responses. Based on my current understanding, it seems Demonolatry has quite a few aspects we don't really know the origin of and DZ is one of them. Given its, well, demonized status, it makes sense this tradition would be poorly documented and largely secretive. I think that sense of mystery is a lot of what draws me to it.
Musician, toy fanatic, arts and crafts nerd
Lover of things old, odd, and adorable!
I've never quite felt human
Red6joker
Patron Deities: Lord Lucifer, Lady Scylla
Your favourite Demon?: Lord Lucifer, Lord Satan, all of my awesome companions
Number of Demon Familiars: 93

Peppercorn wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:26 pm
Thank you for the responses. Based on my current understanding, it seems Demonolatry has quite a few aspects we don't really know the origin of and DZ is one of them. Given its, well, demonized status, it makes sense this tradition would be poorly documented and largely secretive. I think that sense of mystery is a lot of what draws me to it.
I think it's something Connolly created. People do that all the time especially when they page their own path when they get the foundational stuff down.
Heretique
Patron Deities: Set, Kali ma, guided heavily by Svengali and Lucifer
Your favourite Demon?: Svengali, Lucifer, Paimon, Azazel, Lucifuge Rofocale, Eurynomous, Namaah, Belial, Lord O
Number of Demon Familiars: 6

So something that may help with understanding of this, traditional demonolatry basically consists and resides within certain family groups. What s Connoly has done is publish information from some of these private grimoires of the families particularly Dukante, who she got permission from his daughter i believe to do this, who is also a close friend of hers. At least this was how it was in the beginning of her writing career. I think it has moved on into her own practices and expereinces now alongside the OFS. It is likely therefore that the origin of the dz sigil came from one of these family traditions. Its use however is basically in invocation and spellwork; it is used to signify the nine demonic divinities and in essence drawing at a very basic level the energies to the space, can be seen as blessing it in a way, to my understanding of it. In various grimoires there are different central demonic divinities, but from the OFS and what s Connoly has written, so in effect what is well known to practitioners of demonolatry today ( who are not within their own family traditions, perhaps) are these 9 divinities. It is likely also that the information the families have, has been passed down through tradition but also through channeling information directly from the demons themselves as well.
Heretique
Patron Deities: Set, Kali ma, guided heavily by Svengali and Lucifer
Your favourite Demon?: Svengali, Lucifer, Paimon, Azazel, Lucifuge Rofocale, Eurynomous, Namaah, Belial, Lord O
Number of Demon Familiars: 6

This is also not to say that s connoly could not have created it in her own practice either
badboychun
Patron Deities: Hecate

Its refering the Dukante system's nine divinities Demons. I have used it and it kinda feels like "By the power of the nine divinities...I now summon XXX"......For my personal view it is a power symbol...very much like christian would draw a cross to represents their lord....using higher power for their working...etc. However, I actually not always using it as I m not really that into the Dukante divintities system. So, I basically would only use the inverted pentagram to represents the elemental power. Also the inverted pentagram isnt really referal to specific demons, I can use it to whoever my highest force is. Personally I like a more "general" symbol, so I can apply it to every work I m doing. And I sees the elemental power as my foundation for every work. So I basically use Pentagram to represents the elementals and their elemental demons (This I will partly follow the dukante part, Lucifer, Flereous, Leviathan, Belial, Satan and Hecate) At least these demons means more important to me. But I m not very into the Nine divinities, at least not all of them, so I m not using DZ symbol that much. So if you are not into it, then feel free to use other symbol that meaningful to you. In my case, Pentagram for elements and highest force. A cross for balance and empowerment. Sometimes the symbol of sun and moon for masculine and femiline power. Its actually not a rule set on stone.....at least for myself. Its about what is meaningful to you........
O lunae lumen
puer tuus fac me sicut renascentur
me duce tenebris sunt
i ita erit renatus

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”