musings about DL offerings

Demonosophy, what is it? what do Demonosophers do? Find out here.
Shifa
Patron Deities: Ceiling Cat
Your favourite Demon?: Basement Cat

You've probably seen what I like to call the Demon Lord profiles here by Akelta, or around on the web, which list planet, color, incense, etc. Chances are though that unless you have the "Daemonolatry Goetia" book by S. Connolly, you haven't seen a breakdown for everybody.
When I was starting to learn about new DLs, I would fret about trying to find these profiles, until I figured out where the info was coming from and finally bought the dang book myself.
Then I noticed there is actually a simple system to it, so I thought I would post it here along with some other ramblings I wanted to share.

So, really all you need to remember is rank:

King - yellow, frankincense, gold, Sun
Duke - green, sandalwood, copper, Venus
Marquis - violet, jasmine, silver, Moon
Prince - blue, cedar, tin, Jupiter
President - orange, storax, mercury, Mercury
Earl - red, dragon's blood, copper or silver, Mars
Knight - black, myrrh, lead, Saturn

And then when you look further they have their individual elements and plants.

Most of this is pretty self-explanatory. Use your imagination, creativity, resources, and your personal connection to the DLs as you see fit. And exercise common sense when it comes to safety, like we all know lead and mercury are out of the question, and be careful what you leave out around pets and children.
If you want to give them something else entirely, that's fine too.

Another point Connolly makes is that the incenses that are listed are meant to be understood as a base. it doesn't have to be the only fragrance.
And I want to point out that you don't have to take the word "incense" literally. Think "scent" instead. Burn a resin, diffuse an oil, light a candle, dab on a perfume, bathe yourself in a soap, whatever.

Be frugal with sandalwood, as it is a threatened species. It is best to get the Australian type.

Storax is not to be confused with styrax. It comes in the form of wood chips or a gooey resin. The Turkish type is best.

Dragon's blood is a hard resin. Most oils, incense and candles are probably fake.
Fall into the depths of nothingness beyond the dark
Nefer
Your favourite Demon?: I have a few
Number of Demon Familiars: 4

Very nice share. I like it a lot. I had no Idea sandalwood was endangered. I shall use it sparingly. I bought it because my spectral loves the sent. Thank you .
The power of the universe lies within. "Those who don't believe in magic will never find it" ~Roald Dahl
Catamite
Patron Deities: That’s a Secret
Your favourite Demon?: Dunno yet

Thank you for this, I know so little about demons because I've been researching so many other magics and such and this simple post has given me some knowledge that I can use in the future ;p ^^
Fe Yo We. "Make Them See."
Shifa

It gives a nice jumping off point, so as you go about your normal day, or your particular talents and hobbies, and you keep the rank list in mind for your chosen DL, you could say, find nice antiques, incorporate it in your art, pick up certain candle colors or stones, lean towards certain fragrances, even bring in the occasional fresh flower, I mean the list goes on.
But you're not strictly limited to it either.
Probably more important are their personal sigil and enn, and if you just want to sit and have tea with them, then sit and have tea with them, and don't fret about planets and metals and such.
DoubleD
Patron Deities: Aranunna, Marduk, Anubis, Horus
Your favourite Demon?: Still Learning This
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

@Lok, I am glad you had that aha moment, i did as well about a year ago when I was fretting around trying to satisfy everyone, I was constantly at the candle shop when I stepped back and looked at it logically. Rank and planet, well there we go. I bought all the candles in bulk and have them ready.

I tend to buy the tibetan sandalwood from one specific supplier, I would have thought they would mention that so I will look into that. I don't like to mess with anything threatened.

Great share, I appreciate that you took the time on this and helped spread the word. :)
Shifa

Also you know, you might find something else not on the list that really speaks to your connection with a certain DL.
Like I have an old Ylang Ylang - Myrrh candle from Bath & Body Works, back from when they actually sold real aromatherapy stuff, well of course they added fragrance oils too, there's no way it'd hold scent this long.
Anyway I've been burning it lately, and I thought, "this is so Sitri."
And what do you know, when I bought Sitri items from S. Connolly's online store, I laughed when I opened the package - she may use cedar as a base for the Prince rank but there is a definite strong Ylang Ylang note!

Return to “Lessons in Demonosophy”