Race/Ethnicity/Culture

Art, cultural, and music, share creative things that you love!
alikat13
Patron Deities: Aries, Hades, Lilith, Aphrodite
Number of Demon Familiars: 1

So I wanted to share some background info on my ethnicities and a little but of culture within my community. I myself am mixed with many different races, I'm African American, Irish, German, Native American (Blackfoot, Cherokee) and on my father's side I'm Mexican and Native American. People tend to only racially identify me as Mexican within my community because that's the majority of people here in town and that can be very upsetting at times. People are really heavy on tradition within my community therefore a lot of Mexican traditions and holidays have been celebrated here and most of the time it is beautiful and wonderful.... I have been to a quinceañera and have even seen people have their own little Dia De Los Muertos party which is really fun in my town they're largely celebrated.

A little bit out of town there's a small Native American Reservation with just a couple thousand members in it. A large majority of my relatives reside there. They have a blend of Christianity and Native American history. It was one of the newer found tribes that derived from larger previous tribes (I believe the Sioux had some sort of influence). I went to my first funeral/cremation last year.... on the reservation and we had to go to church (lucky I didn't burn to death..) afterwards we went to the cry house but that last until sunrise.... so you stay there with the body until then... they say tobacco helps the spirit to ascend to the great beyond or afterlife, so everyone would smoke tobacco.... by around four they put the body in the box and put all his belongings there.... all of my uncle's belongings were burned with him, it's way of saying this person's life no longer exists....

I am happy to be a diverse mess really it's great being able to explore many cultures out there that I'm racially apart of.

Please feel free to share your cultural background or ethnicity :crazy: :crazy:

:ghost:
"Take a lover who looks at you like maybe you are magic" - Frida Kahlo

"You're mad. Bonkers, Off your head... but I'll tell you a secret all the best people are" Alice In Wonderland
Nefer
Your favourite Demon?: I have a few
Number of Demon Familiars: 4

That's great you get to experience many cultures. It's a very good thing to be culturally diverse, at least in my opinion. I believe even if one is not of a certain culture, it still would do them good to learn about other cultures and become more diverse.

I myself am a European mix , but my son is a mixed race. He is mixed with Puerto Rican. It is sad how at times he is discriminated against, for he is so young. I believe if everyone would become a little more culturally diverse these types of situations will not arise so often.
The power of the universe lies within. "Those who don't believe in magic will never find it" ~Roald Dahl
alikat13

Nefer wrote:That's great you get to experience many cultures. It's a very good thing to be culturally diverse, at least in my opinion. I believe even if one is not of a certain culture, it still would do them good to learn about other cultures and become more diverse.

I myself am a European mix , but my son is a mixed race. He is mixed with Puerto Rican. It is sad how at times he is discriminated against, for he is so young. I believe if everyone would become a little more culturally diverse these types of situations will not arise so often.
Thank you for sharing Nefer and I'm sorry your son is being discriminated for being Puerto Rican and I can understand what that's like because though I'm culturally and racially diverse in my community mostly everyone else is Mexican and are very strong on tradition so therefore there culture became largely celebrated where I live which s great of course but people here can be very close minded and not want to believe that you are more then one race. I am mostly looked at as only Mexican which can be rather upsetting like I said because people expect you to have strong traditional and religious values while also knowing Spanish (I don't speak fluent Spanish..... but I'm learning). If you don't you uphold any of these qualities you are deemed inferior or just looked down upon really. Though the majority may be strict some people here can be open minded and accepting of other people's diversity, you just have to find the right people to affiliate yourself with.

"You're mad. Bonkers, Off your head... but I'll tell you a secret all the best people are" Alice In Wonderland
User3246
Patron Deities: Papa Legba, Shiva, Odin
Your favourite Demon?: Samael , Lord Uphir, Lord Asmodeus, Lord Satan, Lord Mammon, Lord Azazel
Number of Demon Familiars: 17

I love to explore different cultures and customs. Growing up, we pretty much had none! My Father's family had a lot of Native American, and my father would turn dark copper with the sun every year, and his freckles from our Irish blood would disappear! :) I loved that! I celebrate mostly Wiccan holidays, with the Wheel Of the Year, but the Satanic holidays have been good for me! Every ritual helps. I also honor my Werewolf and WereBear ancestry each month at the full moon, and my Vampire ancestry at moon dark. Sometimes I will have a blot to give thanks to the Asatru Gods. No one tells me what to do! I have a bit of everything! I take my drinking horn and pour libations to the gods....any god I want.
“If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.” – Jim Rohn

"The Master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Do not rely on ANYTHING, unexamined. If It does not seem to fit, ask about it. If it ultimately degrades or dishonors or holds you back, it is bad for you, so remove it from your life. If it takes from you and never gives back, it is a leech. Discard it. In magick rely only on your own work: What you have seen and done and used for your own self and in your own way. Only keep what in your own estimation is worth keeping. (Hellcat's Rules Of Satanic Magick)"

Don't get too close. It's Dark inside. It's where my Demons hide!

Hailing Satan isn't a hobby, its a lifestyle. (S@tan)
alikat13

Satan's Hellcat wrote:I love to explore different cultures and customs. Growing up, we pretty much had none! My Father's family had a lot of Native American, and my father would turn dark copper with the sun every year, and his freckles from our Irish blood would disappear! :) I loved that! I celebrate mostly Wiccan holidays, with the Wheel Of the Year, but the Satanic holidays have been good for me! Every ritual helps. I also honor my Werewolf and WereBear ancestry each month at the full moon, and my Vampire ancestry at moon dark. Sometimes I will have a blot to give thanks to the Asatru Gods. No one tells me what to do! I have a bit of everything! I take my drinking horn and pour libations to the gods....any god I want.
That's awesome SH how you were able to explore so many wonderful cultures and traditions. I'm also Irish (well a tiny bit of me is anyways) that's awesome how were able to celebrate Wiccan holidays. There are Satanic holidays? I guess I should look them up and see which ones I can possibly celebrate in my life, Satanic Holidays sound very interesting. Oh and how can I possibly forget about non human beings :o
That's great how you have all those wonderful non human ancestral backgrounds I'm still figuring mine out :)devil:

Vixen

This is a lovely post, I love exploring the diversity of cultures and especially so how this manifests within the temperament and inclinations an individual, whether genetic or environmental~

My father is Middle Eastern, Palestinian in particular, and my mother is a variant of the Euro-American mix of some Dane, some Native American, something, something or another...but mostly white.

You all sound like you have a beautiful mix and it is an interesting thing to add to my conception who you are on top of what is known through the forum...layers, layers.
cotton candy delirium
...madness like sugar
sweetness
still dark
but colored
ravenous ecstasy
in cookies cream
alikat13

Vixen wrote:This is a lovely post, I love exploring the diversity of cultures and especially so how this manifests within the temperament and inclinations an individual, whether genetic or environmental~

My father is Middle Eastern, Palestinian in particular, and my mother is a variant of the Euro-American mix of some Dane, some Native American, something, something or another...but mostly white.

You all sound like you have a beautiful mix and it is an interesting thing to add to my conception who you are on top of what is known through the forum...layers, layers.
Ah wonderful mixes Vixen and I'm glad you liked the post
I love being able to experience so many cultures and embracing my ethnicity I was born to be diverse, and complex lol :crazy:

Akelta
Goddess of the Void
Patron Deities: Satan, Lucifer, Mammon, Azazel, Andras, Paimon, Leviathan, Unsere, The Family
Your favourite Demon?: Tiger, High Prince H, Bear, Oblivion, Quasar, Prince V, Venom, Cadaver, My Family
Number of Demon Familiars: 66

I live in Vancouver BC, Canada (well just outside the city) and we have cultures from all over the world here. It is a lot of fun and I love all the different foods and celebrations. Cultural and Religious Anthropology is my background and so learning about different cultures and peoples is a passion of mine!

As for me one side of my family is descended from the Vikings, the other descended from the Celts, and I am a mix of German, Italian, English, Scottish, Irish and possibly a little French. Though the older I get the more I realize culturally I am Canadian though and through.
Lover of Demons
Royal Demon Goddess
Darling of Sublime Romance
Daughter of Demonic Macabre

Walk with Satan in Shadow
Rise with Azazel in Potential
Dance with Lucifer Under the Moon
Kneel before Mammon's Throne
alikat13

Akelta wrote:I live in Vancouver BC, Canada (well just outside the city) and we have cultures from all over the world here. It is a lot of fun and I love all the different foods and celebrations. Cultural and Religious Anthropology is my background and so learning about different cultures and peoples is a passion of mine!

As for me one side of my family is descended from the Vikings, the other descended from the Celts, and I am a mix of German, Italian, English, Scottish, Irish and possibly a little French. Though the older I get the more I realize culturally I am Canadian though and through.
Wow descended from Vikings :deviljaw: that's amazing lol I love Vikings
Thanks for sharing, Akelta :devillove:

Utu
Patron Deities: Namma

I'm Mexican and Salvadorian, but on my dads side his grandpa on his moms side was Chinese and his dads mom was german. But I generally associate more with Mexico and el Salvador. Its hard growing up the the states and being 'different' I went through a lot of discrimination with my dad because I was the first one in our family to learn English and when we went out even though I was only like 9 but people would give my father the most terrible disgusted looks for not being able to speak english. I really miss mexico and el Salvador the jungles there really call out to me and its my dream to move back there one day and live in the jungles.

Return to “Art, Culture, & Music”