Raven Reviews: BOOKS!

Art, cultural, and music, share creative things that you love!
User1265455
Patron Deities: Paimon, Asmoday, Leviathan, Azazel, Amducius
Your favourite Demon?: Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 12

Raven Reviews: Kiss of Pride: A Deadly Angels Book (Book 1) by Sandra Hill

Rated 5/5 Bubblegum wrappers
For sheer fluff and silliness, this is great. The writer takes a couple of chapters to create the world, and while she's doing it, it's a little rough, because the premise is THAT silly (viking vampire angels - if there's a trope in there that Ms Hill hasn't abused I'll eat my halo) - but once the world is built, the story flows, the characters are easy to get atttached to, and all around this book is just fun.
Rated 2/5 Sexual Gratuity and Graphics
There is no sex in this book. There is, however, plenty of ALMOST sex, including imaginary penetration. No BDSM, no multiple partners, romantic couple is straight.
Rated 2/5 for Alt. Religions
Lucifer is the Devil (but doesn't show up in the book). Angels are good, demons are bad. (Demons are ugly and gross and slimy too.) Sex before marriage is a sin. Book is very catholic about sin all over - there is discussion about how to be saved, venial vs deadly sins, heaven/hell/purgatory, etc. The only reason it doesn't get a 1 is because the archangels mentioned get treated a little cavalierly by the characters for most of the book (this does change). Nicknames - Gabe, Rafe and Mike.

If you're looking for sheer bubble gum paranormal romance escapery and you're not virulently anti-christian, this is probably your bag, though I don't know if you'll want to chew the next stick... er... book.
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series
User1265455
Patron Deities: Paimon, Asmoday, Leviathan, Azazel, Amducius
Your favourite Demon?: Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 12

Raven Reviews: Welcome to Hell series by Eve Langlais

(Please note this review is for an 8 book series complete, not a review on an individual book)

Rated 5/5 Bubblegum Wrappers
I bought and read these books a few months ago, and I think I read all of them in about 48 hours. The worldbuilding is great, the characters are mostly ok though they're honestly all the same characters - the author has found a trope character pairing that works, and aside from changing names, sexes, and appearances, she tells the same story multiple times. There's a lot of "should I, I shouldn't," from the characters which gets a little annoying when you're reading all 8 books in a row, but if you paced yourself with other material in between, it wouldn't be noticable. However, that sameness absolutely makes her characters completely unremarkable and unmemorable.
Rated 3/5 Sexual gratuity and graphics
There is sex in these books. There is mild kink in these books (spanking). All romance couples are straight couples. No group sex. The sex scenes are well done, and the vanilla doesn't detract or impact those scenes. Definitely gave me the warm fuzzies. ;)
Rated 5/5 Alt. Religions
People who go to hell are working off sins, and are demons. Realm of stories is Hell. The devil is an interfering busybody who's decided that all his best demons should be in relationships so he's pulling strings behind the scenes to set up the characters. Devil and Gaia are a couple. Devil and God play golf against each other... badly. Irreverently funny. Demons are not seen as evil, hell is not seen as a bad place (boring sometimes, but not bad).

Conclusion - I honestly didn't remember reading them, but when I decided to create this thread, I remembered that I'd reviewed another series on another thread, and re-reading my review reminded me of the broad strokes. They made me smile, they were great for an escape, they're paranormal romance, and they're forgettable. I recommend reading them, but since you may not ever REread them, I suggest Kindle Unlimited. The series was forgettable enough that I forgot to buy her other series set in this world which involves the Devil's daughter and her reverse-harem.

Raven's Original Review

Ok. Bought the series, read all 8 books. They're cute. Occasionally funny. Very sweet. Little bit of soft smut. Kink references but no actual kink. All the relationships are m/f (though apparently there is another book series in the same universe that is a reverse harem?). Whether the male or the female is the demon, the stories all pretty much follow the same plot lines, so if you like consistency, you'll enjoy that. The books weren't SO set in the plot line that they were totally predictable - while sometimes the characters weren't totally believable from an emotional perspective, it didn't happen often and wasn't jarring when it did.

On the whole, considering the adult content of the book did give me the warm fuzzies, I'm giving them a 3/5 - mostly because I liked them, but honestly can't imagine reading any of them again... and when the last book tied all the characters together, I couldn't remember who was who even though I'd just finished reading them all - so the characters aren't memorable, and the attachment to their relationship situations is resolved well enough for you to stop caring.

They're not quite bubblegum fiction. Good for an afternoon at the beach.

I like the author though... next month I'm gonna grab her series about Lucifer's daughter and her reverse harem. ;)
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series

Return to “Art, Culture, & Music”