What are dreams?

Dreams and their deeper meanings, post your dreams here.
Kiku
Patron Deities: Freya, Loki, Set, Anubis
Your favourite Demon?: U, M, N, I, I, D, O, S, Z, family back home
Number of Demon Familiars: 9

I have been having questionable dreams and me not knowing the nature of dreams to begin with makes me more confused. Before I went to sleep, I asked my companion, Forrest, if he can give me a nice dream to calm my mind. The dream was far from nice, I was a runaway science experiment with ice powers. I thought it was Forrest laying out a lesson, or even projecting my inner desires I do not know about.

The next day (today), I got in to an argument with my partner. That night, I dreamt of meeting and kissing my celebrity crush. Unlike the dream yesterday, I remembered everything clearly. I woke up extremely confused, I kept asking Forrest if it was him trying to make me feel better, or if it was just my desires of being with a different man..and just me simply fancying said celebrity. I had an argument after all.

For your information, I still can't hear my companion yet, but I reckon he will find a way to let me know.

What is the nature of dreams? I am quite caught between the spiritual and the science. Some people say its your mind simply projecting your fears, desires, stress etc. Some say it's spiritual messages.

Or, are they both? What are your opinions on dreams?
Celtic Star

Why not both? Dreaming is a way for us to process things. So I imagine getting messages in dreams from spirits can be helpful. In a way it kind of makes me think of shadow work.

As far as nice and bad dreams go, it is kind of subjective. Perhaps the 'nice' part of the dream was you escaping and not currently being imprisoned? And with your other dream, of kissing your celebrity crush, some could see it as a 'bad' dream if they experienced it. And that they would feel guilty of having such thoughts. Even if it is something as uncontrolled as a dream.
Magic is really very simple, all you've got to do is want something and then let yourself have it.
Aggie Cromwell
Passchendaele
Patron Deities: none (yet)
Your favourite Demon?: Beelzebub, Lucifer, Lord Satan, Marquess Marchosias
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

The simple answer is...there is no simple answer. I have been doing dreamwork since the early 90's but I can only speak to my own experiences. I very rarely have "wish fulfillment" dreams. I rarely have nightmares, as most people would define them. that is, imagery that invokes strong fear. I have vampires and werewolves up the wazoo, but I'm not afraid of them at all, probably because I'm often one of them. Lot's of shapeshifters and ghosts as well. Vampires are just flat-out sexy. :devillust: Wither I am one or just being with one, it's always veeeery erotic. :devillust:

If there is anything like a general rule about dreams it is that the symbolism will be uniquely yours. That does not mean you will not see common things that many people dream about, only that what those images mean to you, is unique to you. Keeping a dream journal is the key starting point to understanding your personal symbolism. It will also help point out the many different types of dreams we all have.

The most common for me are what I call "processing dreams" The events of the day, what my waking self is worried about, that movie I saw, the friend I ran into downtown. less common are "Astral Contact dreams" Which are just what they sound like, people, and beings I work...and play... with on the Astral Plane. I like to have fun. I like to have fun with people and beings who like to have fun. For some odd reason a lot of that fun involves sex in somewhat other-worldly locations. It also involves spiritual work. A lot of that, actually. There is no law that says spiritual lessons have to be serious undertakings. Um...not all the time, anyway. Which brings me to the rarest type of dream for me....

"Vision Dreams" Always, ALWAYS deeply spiritual in nature, always involving contact with a deity (Demonic or non-RHP), always on a Plane far higher than the Astral, and ALWAYS to teach an important lesson that has to do with the life I am living now. And I will never forget a single detail of one after I wake up. They are realer than real. Even after years, decades, have passed.

I create dreamscapes that incorporate places I have lived, some past-life scenery thrown in, I'll "inhabit" a dreamscape for a few months, adding and subtracting as I see fit, then create a new one. I do not often return to old dreamscapes, If I do it is because there is an important lesson involved and I pay close attention to such dreams.

But all that is just me and my dreams. :devilwave:
"Push something hard enough...and it will fall over."
Fudds First Law Of Opposition

“All art that is not mere storytelling or mere portraiture is symbolic...If you liberate a person or a landscape from the bonds of motives and their actions, causes and their effects...it will change under your eyes, and become a symbol of infinite emotion, a perfected emotion, a part of the Dark Divine Essence.”

William Butler Yeats

(The italicized word “dark” is my addition.)

Return to “Dreams and Their Deeper Meanings”