Using proxies as a means of protection and backlash defense

This is the the place to talk about your shielding practises and ask for feedback.
User1265455
Patron Deities: Paimon, Asmoday, Leviathan, Azazel, Amducius
Your favourite Demon?: Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 12

So, lots of things can be used as a proxy - essentially a stand-in for yourself which will take the hit - this can be used for protection, but also to take backlash from spellworkings you've done that didn't go according to plan.

Possibilities which I personally have used:
A poppet of ymyself
A plant that I've been feeding a drop of blood to every so often...
Once, a boulder in my yard as a lightning rod before.

For the plant. The recommendation is that you use a succulent.

What you want to do is, because succulents don't take a lot of water, only water your succy on the full moon and the new moon.

Give them the recommended amount of water, plus three drops of your blood.
The succy will not only take hits for you for spells you cast, but can also take hits for you if others cast against you.

You can tell the succy's taking a hit by its health, and you can take steps to protect yourself, and to protect/heal your plant.

With a poppet... you're basically making a copy of yourself. Use your hair, your nails, your blood, take a well-worn item of clothing to make it's outfit.

In the chest cavity before you stuff it, put a wax heart that's mixed with your blood. Your hair is its hair. The nails (I don't use them because that makes the dolly sharp) go in the chest cavity too.

Name the doll. Like, seriously, give it your name. It's going to bear your name and you won't have one anymore.

Then wrap your dolly up in black cloth (I like silk or satin because it's insulating), and store it somewhere. I keep mine hidden in the back of my closet on the top shelf... but you need to put it where no one will find it or disturb it, because it's YOU, so keeping it out of the hands of others is pretty important.

If your dolly takes a hit, you won't know, so I like to check on mine. But I also spent a lot of time casting protection shields, wards, and spells on it. And the box I keep it in is made of outward facing mirrors, with the lid mirror having a suction cup on it. Making a mirror box isn't too difficult... you just need six square mirrors from a craft store, some glue that works for glass, and some patience.

Happy Proxying!
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series
Gauche
Number of Demon Familiars: 2

Nyctophilia Raven wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:24 am
So, lots of things can be used as a proxy - essentially a stand-in for yourself which will take the hit - this can be used for protection, but also to take backlash from spellworkings you've done that didn't go according to plan.

Possibilities which I personally have used:
A poppet of ymyself
A plant that I've been feeding a drop of blood to every so often...
Once, a boulder in my yard as a lightning rod before.

For the plant. The recommendation is that you use a succulent.

What you want to do is, because succulents don't take a lot of water, only water your succy on the full moon and the new moon.

Give them the recommended amount of water, plus three drops of your blood.
The succy will not only take hits for you for spells you cast, but can also take hits for you if others cast against you.

You can tell the succy's taking a hit by its health, and you can take steps to protect yourself, and to protect/heal your plant.

With a poppet... you're basically making a copy of yourself. Use your hair, your nails, your blood, take a well-worn item of clothing to make it's outfit.

In the chest cavity before you stuff it, put a wax heart that's mixed with your blood. Your hair is its hair. The nails (I don't use them because that makes the dolly sharp) go in the chest cavity too.

Name the doll. Like, seriously, give it your name. It's going to bear your name and you won't have one anymore.

Then wrap your dolly up in black cloth (I like silk or satin because it's insulating), and store it somewhere. I keep mine hidden in the back of my closet on the top shelf... but you need to put it where no one will find it or disturb it, because it's YOU, so keeping it out of the hands of others is pretty important.

If your dolly takes a hit, you won't know, so I like to check on mine. But I also spent a lot of time casting protection shields, wards, and spells on it. And the box I keep it in is made of outward facing mirrors, with the lid mirror having a suction cup on it. Making a mirror box isn't too difficult... you just need six square mirrors from a craft store, some glue that works for glass, and some patience.

Happy Proxying!

Newbie question since I have never proxied..what happens if said succulent dies..how would that effect me?
Just imagine a desperate scream from far away;You can't hear what its saying but you know whats about to happen and its going to be really...painful

Ravenfire
Patron Deities: The Morrigan, Prince Orobas, Queen Beleth, Belial
Your favourite Demon?: I can't play favorites
Number of Demon Familiars: 6

Thank you for the info. Looks like I'll be adding a proxy to my laundry list of protective measures...what can i say, I'm spiritually paranoid.
Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but refuse. They cling to the realm, or love, or the gods…illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is. But they’ll never know this. Not until it’s too late.
-Petyr Baelish
Passchendaele
Patron Deities: none (yet)
Your favourite Demon?: Beelzebub, Lucifer, Lord Satan, Marquess Marchosias
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

I have heard of using a poppet to rid one's self of undesirable aspects of one's personality/ addictions, removing serious blocks or healing trauma, as a shield? Fascinating.

Working with poppets...Hmmmmm.....Who could I possibly ask about such a thing? Who might possess knowledge about this? Who might know where to go to read up on such things? A font of occult wisdom! That's what I need! But, where, oh where could she be? :devilwave:
"Push something hard enough...and it will fall over."
Fudds First Law Of Opposition

“All art that is not mere storytelling or mere portraiture is symbolic...If you liberate a person or a landscape from the bonds of motives and their actions, causes and their effects...it will change under your eyes, and become a symbol of infinite emotion, a perfected emotion, a part of the Dark Divine Essence.”

William Butler Yeats

(The italicized word “dark” is my addition.)
User1265455

Gauche wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:01 pm
Newbie question since I have never proxied..what happens if said succulent dies..how would that effect me?
If your succulent dies, it will no longer be useful as a proxy. If it dies suddenly, you should probably thank it.

The succulent is receptive - like a wall between you and problems. It's not supposed to ever send something on to you, so if your succy dies, you will just have to get a new one. It's not going to hurt you when it dies.
Ravenfire wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:47 pm
Thank you for the info. Looks like I'll be adding a proxy to my laundry list of protective measures...what can i say, I'm spiritually paranoid.
Honestly, I think that even the NOT spiritually paranoid should have a proxy of some kind. I was reading somewhere a while back about this girl who grew a bunch of plants, and she named each of the plants after one of her friends. She would talk to the plants just like she'd talk to her friends, and if one of the plants wasn't doing well, she'd go see the actual friend, and usually, there was something wrong.

Having a proxy is good for all kinds of things. I talked about protection here, but they can be used for so much more!
Passchendaele wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:53 am
I have heard of using a poppet to rid one's self of undesirable aspects of one's personality/ addictions, removing serious blocks or healing trauma, as a shield? Fascinating.

Working with poppets...Hmmmmm.....Who could I possibly ask about such a thing? Who might possess knowledge about this? Who might know where to go to read up on such things? A font of occult wisdom! That's what I need! But, where, oh where could she be? :devilwave:
:P

So, I've only ever used a poppet as a shield. However, poppet magick is indeed a vast topic and is probably an amazing one. The truth is, poppet magick never really caught with me, because it's time-consuming and requires skills I don't possess and supplies that I almost never had available to me. SO - in this, I am not a font of occult wisdom.

HOWEVER - there are a lot of books out there that are excellent resources and honestly, a google search will bring up... :??: soooo many website pages dedicated to it. I have no doubt that if you really get into it, you will find all you need. :)
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
Gauche

Nyctophilia Raven wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:43 am
Gauche wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:01 pm
If your succulent dies, it will no longer be useful as a proxy. If it dies suddenly, you should probably thank it.

The succulent is receptive - like a wall between you and problems. It's not supposed to ever send something on to you, so if your succy dies, you will just have to get a new one. It's not going to hurt you when it dies.
Ravenfire wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:47 pm
Honestly, I think that even the NOT spiritually paranoid should have a proxy of some kind. I was reading somewhere a while back about this girl who grew a bunch of plants, and she named each of the plants after one of her friends. She would talk to the plants just like she'd talk to her friends, and if one of the plants wasn't doing well, she'd go see the actual friend, and usually, there was something wrong.

Having a proxy is good for all kinds of things. I talked about protection here, but they can be used for so much more!
Passchendaele wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:53 am

:P

So, I've only ever used a poppet as a shield. However, poppet magick is indeed a vast topic and is probably an amazing one. The truth is, poppet magick never really caught with me, because it's time-consuming and requires skills I don't possess and supplies that I almost never had available to me. SO - in this, I am not a font of occult wisdom.

HOWEVER - there are a lot of books out there that are excellent resources and honestly, a google search will bring up... :??: soooo many website pages dedicated to it. I have no doubt that if you really get into it, you will find all you need. :)
I was more along the lines of figuring out how the succulent would be different than the doll, seeing as how you are in a way making the doll part of you and using it to take the blows for you,but at the same time protecting it with all you can because it is tied to you. I was wondering how the succulent was different because the idea of it being tied so deeply to me yet coukd get sickly and die..not sure if im phrasing my thoughts right, but basically since it would be taking the brunt of things,does it suffering or dying not have adverse effects to me during that if its tied with me? Or is it just like..a sharing of my essence to pull things to it but not effect me because it would be something like a tether? I find this interesting and it already makes me want to try experiments 🤐
Just imagine a desperate scream from far away;You can't hear what its saying but you know whats about to happen and its going to be really...painful

User1265455

Gauche wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:56 pm
I was more along the lines of figuring out how the succulent would be different than the doll, seeing as how you are in a way making the doll part of you and using it to take the blows for you,but at the same time protecting it with all you can because it is tied to you. I was wondering how the succulent was different because the idea of it being tied so deeply to me yet coukd get sickly and die..not sure if im phrasing my thoughts right, but basically since it would be taking the brunt of things,does it suffering or dying not have adverse effects to me during that if its tied with me? Or is it just like..a sharing of my essence to pull things to it but not effect me because it would be something like a tether? I find this interesting and it already makes me want to try experiments
So, the succulent is alive, which means it has its own essence, unlike the doll - which is why you work to protect the doll, but not the succy.

And unlike the doll, the succy doesn't take your name. Because you feed it water with your blood in it, its cells are made up of you, which is why spells get confused and latch onto it... because you are protected from certain things, and the succy is not, it's easier for spells to hit it and not you.

So it's not tied so deeply that it could get sickly and die if you do - but more it gets sick BEFORE you do, in your place. If it dies, there's no damage to you. If it gets sick, there's no damage to you.

As you say, it's a sharing of your essence to pull things to it, but not affect you.

About the girl with the plants of her friends - if you've ever watched or read Harry Potter, there's this clock at the Weasley House, which has an arrow for every family member, and the arrows point to situations. So like, when Arthur was leaving work to come home, his arrow changed from Work to Traveling, and then to Home when he arrived. In the... fifth or sixth book, the arrows pretty much all pointed to "In Danger" or something like that.

So if you damaged the clock, it wouldn't hurt the Weasleys, but the clock still let Molly know what was going on. The plants the girl had for her friends served the same function...

And so will your succy - it will let you know when something's wrong. It will take the hit for you, and not pass it on - but if the hit doesn't outright kill it, then you can take action to deal with whatever's wrong.

If the plant dies, well, then you know to take pretty serious action. And of course, get a new succy... because if something kills your succy, you're going to want to replace it and also to cover your butt.
Gauche

Nyctophilia Raven wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:56 pm
Gauche wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:56 pm
I was more along the lines of figuring out how the succulent would be different than the doll, seeing as how you are in a way making the doll part of you and using it to take the blows for you,but at the same time protecting it with all you can because it is tied to you. I was wondering how the succulent was different because the idea of it being tied so deeply to me yet coukd get sickly and die..not sure if im phrasing my thoughts right, but basically since it would be taking the brunt of things,does it suffering or dying not have adverse effects to me during that if its tied with me? Or is it just like..a sharing of my essence to pull things to it but not effect me because it would be something like a tether? I find this interesting and it already makes me want to try experiments
So, the succulent is alive, which means it has its own essence, unlike the doll - which is why you work to protect the doll, but not the succy.

And unlike the doll, the succy doesn't take your name. Because you feed it water with your blood in it, its cells are made up of you, which is why spells get confused and latch onto it... because you are protected from certain things, and the succy is not, it's easier for spells to hit it and not you.

So it's not tied so deeply that it could get sickly and die if you do - but more it gets sick BEFORE you do, in your place. If it dies, there's no damage to you. If it gets sick, there's no damage to you.

As you say, it's a sharing of your essence to pull things to it, but not affect you.

About the girl with the plants of her friends - if you've ever watched or read Harry Potter, there's this clock at the Weasley House, which has an arrow for every family member, and the arrows point to situations. So like, when Arthur was leaving work to come home, his arrow changed from Work to Traveling, and then to Home when he arrived. In the... fifth or sixth book, the arrows pretty much all pointed to "In Danger" or something like that.

So if you damaged the clock, it wouldn't hurt the Weasleys, but the clock still let Molly know what was going on. The plants the girl had for her friends served the same function...

And so will your succy - it will let you know when something's wrong. It will take the hit for you, and not pass it on - but if the hit doesn't outright kill it, then you can take action to deal with whatever's wrong.

If the plant dies, well, then you know to take pretty serious action. And of course, get a new succy... because if something kills your succy, you're going to want to replace it and also to cover your butt.
That makes a lot of sense,thank you. I think I'll give it ago. Actually I will consult with my closest companions and see if they would like one as an offering in the altars I have been making haha.

Return to “Protection, Shielding, Warding and Psychic Defence”