Self-made Silver Maple Divination Tools

Magical tools that we use in our workings
Chrysopaelian
Patron Deities: Eris
Your favourite Demon?: Prince Stolas
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

So I set out a few days ago with the thought, "I'm going to sit under the tree and whittle a pendulum."
A few hours later, I found myself with four gorgeous vaguely pendulum-y objects... and wood for another wand, and wood for a slingshot... the fallen branches were just too good looking to pass up. I never planned the shapes/designs/specific functionality of these, the wood was just sort of like, "here, this is what to do with this part, and this part..." etc. I found myself shaking my head like, "These are not pendulums..." and "Haha, no, these are better than your 1-dimensional ideas about pendulums."

To make these I used a sickle-shaped woodcarving knife, fine grit sandpaper, and a simple flat chisel.

The one on the left is the "true" pendulum, in that it's meant to hang from a string or chain for its use. I am thinking that I will borrow my brother's drill and just use a very small bit to drill a hole through the left and right sides of it to pass an attachment through. I could just tie string around it, but I don't think it would be quite as secure.

Second to the left is probably the one i worked the longest on. I wanted a nice smooth drop shape. It's the only one I really used the sandpaper on, because I liked the natural looking cuts on the other wood. This one is meant to be dropped on a flat surface, and the direction it points is the message. Due to its shape and material it can be dropped from only a few inches above a smooth, flat surface and bounce any particular way at all. It's been super neat to play around with this and watch it jump--for "jump" really is the better way than "bounce" to describe its unpredictable movements.

Third (Second to the right) is a spinner-pointer. (If there's a better name for such a thing, I don't know it.) I really enjoyed making this one, and you can't see it, but the tip is a bit hollow, sort of like a hypodermic needle. another fun one to just spin around on a smooth, flat surface.

The last one was definitely not my idea, but it was the first one I made. I was going to make it into a regular pendulum, or even a flat pendulum, but the wood basically said, "Lol, nope, you're making something else." I don't really know what to call this thing. "Divining rod" and "Planchette" sort of approximate its use, though. To use it, I place my thumb in the valley on top and then hold it by curling my fingers underneath. The bottom of the tip of this tool sits pretty evenly on a flat surface, so it could be used as a tool for a Ouija board (which I don't actually own and haven't used since i was a teenager) or some map or grid.

I'm very happy with how they turned out and how little time it took to make them. Usually my woodworking projects take forever (my wand and knife felt like they took a freaking eternity,) but this crescent knife is really nice, and these are all quite small. (the longest about 4 cm) I haven't finished the charging stuff for them yet, so it'll be interesting to see how/if the results change after I do that.
Attachments
pendulums.PNG
pendulums.PNG (382.72 KiB) Viewed 2851 times
S̡̻͎̺͖̟̋̌͗͊̀͆͘͡t̵̥̬̜͍̥̽̅̒́͋̊̍͞o̩̻̪̣͚̘͓̳̰̯̎̍̄̈́̕͘l̷̞͔͓̭̹͖̳̅̅̃̂͐ơ̛̛̱̩͇͍͈̫̖͋͗̅̍̂́͢s̢̡̺̖̯̱̮̼̠̪̾̿͆̄́̅̅̿̀̾ Ŕ͉̫̩̟̪̳̀̑͛̇̓͢͢͠ͅa̵̗̯̭͓̘̞̜̓̓̐̀̑̏̾̾̕͘m͍͈͔̯͌̌̎̒̄́̍͟e̛̮̻͈͕̭̲͛̀̊͂̕͟͞c̴̱͖̰̠̤͉̥̣̲͛̅͗̿̀͊͊̈̐̐͟ v̬͉̞̜̺͚͒̒̓͂̉́͒͑̇͘͟i̭̰̰̥͑̏̏̀͛͟͟͞ả̸͈͇̻̦̱̿̾̾͐͌̌͟ṡ͙̙̝̯͎̩͂̃̒̕͜͢ă͍͔̟͇̞̣̩͈̪̎̆̃̆͟ ơ̴̤̰͎̲̬̙̺̪̋̑͛͡ṉ̵̡̧̖͆̓̊̌̄͜ c̸̛̹͙̗̮̻̾̎̀͌̄͜ȃ̶̡̡̹̬̞͖̼́̉̄͞͠
moonshadowlab

These are very creative and it sounds like you really enjoyed making them. I really do not see many people doing wood carvings and i’m sure not many people even think about doing this old craft with all the modern day do dads. You really come up with some great ideas ! :devilpaint:
User3246
Patron Deities: Papa Legba, Shiva, Odin
Your favourite Demon?: Samael , Lord Uphir, Lord Asmodeus, Lord Satan, Lord Mammon, Lord Azazel
Number of Demon Familiars: 17

How did I miss these Chrys? I love them! :) Esp the on that ends in the sharp point.
“If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.” – Jim Rohn

"The Master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Do not rely on ANYTHING, unexamined. If It does not seem to fit, ask about it. If it ultimately degrades or dishonors or holds you back, it is bad for you, so remove it from your life. If it takes from you and never gives back, it is a leech. Discard it. In magick rely only on your own work: What you have seen and done and used for your own self and in your own way. Only keep what in your own estimation is worth keeping. (Hellcat's Rules Of Satanic Magick)"

Don't get too close. It's Dark inside. It's where my Demons hide!

Hailing Satan isn't a hobby, its a lifestyle. (S@tan)
Chrysopaelian
Patron Deities: Eris
Your favourite Demon?: Prince Stolas
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

moonshadowlab wrote:These are very creative and it sounds like you really enjoyed making them. I really do not see many people doing wood carvings and i’m sure not many people even think about doing this old craft with all the modern day do dads. You really come up with some great ideas ! :devilpaint:
:) for me there's definitely a different feel to having something made myself. I think it's worth the time in my case at least to have something that is so personal. It's more aligned to me and my own purposes from the outset. In a way, when we cleanse an object that used to belong to someone else, we sculpt it ourselves at least a bit. We chip away what we don't want there, just not physically in this case.

Satan's Hellcat wrote:How did I miss these Chrys? I love them! :) Esp the on that ends in the sharp point.
That one i have mostly used so far to find whatever direction to connect with Eris in at any given moment, since it seems to change all the time. I'd also like to make some wheels for it on paper or something and try out how it works with different things like that. Thanks for your comment :D
S̡̻͎̺͖̟̋̌͗͊̀͆͘͡t̵̥̬̜͍̥̽̅̒́͋̊̍͞o̩̻̪̣͚̘͓̳̰̯̎̍̄̈́̕͘l̷̞͔͓̭̹͖̳̅̅̃̂͐ơ̛̛̱̩͇͍͈̫̖͋͗̅̍̂́͢s̢̡̺̖̯̱̮̼̠̪̾̿͆̄́̅̅̿̀̾ Ŕ͉̫̩̟̪̳̀̑͛̇̓͢͢͠ͅa̵̗̯̭͓̘̞̜̓̓̐̀̑̏̾̾̕͘m͍͈͔̯͌̌̎̒̄́̍͟e̛̮̻͈͕̭̲͛̀̊͂̕͟͞c̴̱͖̰̠̤͉̥̣̲͛̅͗̿̀͊͊̈̐̐͟ v̬͉̞̜̺͚͒̒̓͂̉́͒͑̇͘͟i̭̰̰̥͑̏̏̀͛͟͟͞ả̸͈͇̻̦̱̿̾̾͐͌̌͟ṡ͙̙̝̯͎̩͂̃̒̕͜͢ă͍͔̟͇̞̣̩͈̪̎̆̃̆͟ ơ̴̤̰͎̲̬̙̺̪̋̑͛͡ṉ̵̡̧̖͆̓̊̌̄͜ c̸̛̹͙̗̮̻̾̎̀͌̄͜ȃ̶̡̡̹̬̞͖̼́̉̄͞͠

Return to “Magickal Tools”