The invention of satanic witchcraft [article link]

The place to post about ancient, lost, and forgotten cultures, archaeology and the old world.
guesswho
Number of Demon Familiars: 11

So . . . . my Firefox browser knows me better than the Facebook algorithm! This article was the first one shown to me after visiting the forum.

It's from a site called The Conversation and was published on July 2, 2020. The article is titled:
The Invention of Satanic Witchcraft by Medieval Authorities was Originally Met with Skepticism.
https://theconversation.com/the-inventi ... ism-140809

The article's author, a professor of History at Iowa State University, presents that Satanic Witchcraft was created by church and state authorities to further their own purposes.

Thoughts? :devilpaper:
This is why the Mantis Shrimp is my new favorite animal,
because in the presence of such extraordinary light and beauty it embraces

DARKNESS,
It extols DEATH with the luminescent brilliance of a
DYING STAR

. . . The Mantis Shrimp is the harbinger of blood-soaked rainbows

- The Oatmeal

Avatar graphic from the amazing "The Oatmeal" site
TaipanTwist
Patron Deities: Pazuzu, Satan
Your favourite Demon?: L
Number of Demon Familiars: 3

I know that in some regions, if you accused someone of witchcraft and they were found guilty you got to keep half of their possessions. The other half went to the authorities.

As many people were poor this material bonus was useful for keeping the population divided against each other.

It was also a useful cover for sexual predators, who had carte blanche to molest victims on the pretext of looking for the Devil’s mark, which could be anywhere on the victim’s body.

guesswho
Number of Demon Familiars: 11

TaipanTwist wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:31 am
I know that in some regions, if you accused someone of witchcraft and they were found guilty you got to keep half of their possessions. The other half went to the authorities.

As many people were poor this material bonus was useful for keeping the population divided against each other.

It was also a useful cover for sexual predators, who had carte blanche to molest victims on the pretext of looking for the Devil’s mark, which could be anywhere on the victim’s body.

:bandit: Sounds like a quick and dirty way to fill the institution's coffers. :angrydevil:
Sadly, when people are desperate and hungry, they are capable of acts toward their fellow humans that they would never otherwise entertain the idea of. :saddevil:

Yeah, they don't talk about sexual predators in the church, any church. It's like it doesn't exist if you don't talk about it and meanwhile the predators are free to continue to terrorize those unfortunate victims.
This is why the Mantis Shrimp is my new favorite animal,
because in the presence of such extraordinary light and beauty it embraces

DARKNESS,
It extols DEATH with the luminescent brilliance of a
DYING STAR

. . . The Mantis Shrimp is the harbinger of blood-soaked rainbows

- The Oatmeal

Avatar graphic from the amazing "The Oatmeal" site

Return to “Ancient Cultures, History, and the Evolution of Religion and Spirituality”