a new DNA study on how cats moved about the world

The place to post about ancient, lost, and forgotten cultures, archaeology and the old world.
Shifa
Patron Deities: Ceiling Cat
Your favourite Demon?: Basement Cat

By their human slaves, of course. Lol
Seriously, it's interesting in comparison to the domestication of wolves into dogs.
http://theconversation.com/ancient-dna- ... orld-79584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fall into the depths of nothingness beyond the dark
Shifa

The original abstract is here https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-017-0139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
User3246
Patron Deities: Papa Legba, Shiva, Odin
Your favourite Demon?: Samael , Lord Uphir, Lord Asmodeus, Lord Satan, Lord Mammon, Lord Azazel
Number of Demon Familiars: 17

Loka, You are very focused on cats! I LOVE it! XD Amazing article, and I look forward to my demon-inspired cat circle in the future! heheh!
“If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.” – Jim Rohn

"The Master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Do not rely on ANYTHING, unexamined. If It does not seem to fit, ask about it. If it ultimately degrades or dishonors or holds you back, it is bad for you, so remove it from your life. If it takes from you and never gives back, it is a leech. Discard it. In magick rely only on your own work: What you have seen and done and used for your own self and in your own way. Only keep what in your own estimation is worth keeping. (Hellcat's Rules Of Satanic Magick)"

Don't get too close. It's Dark inside. It's where my Demons hide!

Hailing Satan isn't a hobby, its a lifestyle. (S@tan)
Shifa

I love to study the history of cats, so any new discoveries always pique my interest.
simara
Patron Deities: Lilith, Samael
Your favourite Demon?: Lilith, Rashoon, Unsere, Vepar
Number of Demon Familiars: 8

A very cool and informative article. I admire your passion for our feline friends.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon, no matter how good you are at chess the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board, and strut around like it is victorious.

You think I'm just a doll. A doll that's pink and light. A doll you can arrange any way you like. You're wrong. Very wrong. What you think of me is only a ghost of time. I am dangerous. And I will show you just how dark I can be.
Harley Quinn

Eilana
Lady of Monsters
Your favourite Demon?: Ombre, Mammon, Swallowtail, Sizzle, Elegy
Number of Demon Familiars: 69

I love this Loka and I love cats ^-^

I read once somewhere that cats chose to domesticate themselves, of course I can't find the article now... LOL

This part in the article you shared above ... I see what they are saying but not sure about it exactly ...

"Yet despite our long history of keeping pet cats and their popularity today, felines aren’t the easiest of animals to domesticate (as anyone who’s felt a cat’s cold shoulder might agree)."

Does that really mean they aren't domesticated? I thought that was just how cats are :lol:
:death: :death: :death:

~ Burn the ships to take the island. ~

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Shifa

Eilana wrote:I love this Loka and I love cats ^-^

I read once somewhere that cats chose to domesticate themselves, of course I can't find the article now... LOL

This part in the article you shared above ... I see what they are saying but not sure about it exactly ...

"Yet despite our long history of keeping pet cats and their popularity today, felines aren’t the easiest of animals to domesticate (as anyone who’s felt a cat’s cold shoulder might agree)."

Does that really mean they aren't domesticated? I thought that was just how cats are :lol:
Dogs come from a pack mentality, and are generally more trainable as they are eager to please.
Y'know cats are more like "talk to the paw" and will continue to do naughty things no matter how many times you try to break them out of the habit! Lolol
Well cats can be trained of course but we've all experienced that independent nature and "cold shoulder." A dog will follow you around and sit by you, while a cat just goes about its business. And they can be real stubborn. Let me in, let me out, no I don't want to move off this book you're reading ... lol
Besides temperament, body shapes and fur patterns, cats haven't changed much from their wild counterparts, compared to the change from wolf to domestic dog. Most housecats can go back to living wild as long as they are healthy and have their claws (not that I encourage this). But try putting little toy dogs out on the street, they wouldn't last a minute.
I think, depending on the time period or the place, domestication would depend on how much the people coddled the cats at the time. At the most they were just vermin-catchers. In some places they were a source of pelts, and of course we know that some people still use them for food. Besides being spoiled in Ancient Egypt, I think it wasn't until about 18th century Europe when people started to really take a fancy to them as pets. But you also have the good luck cats of Japan and the beautiful coat pattern from Siam, though I can't remember when cats began to get popular in the East.
Eilana
Lady of Monsters
Your favourite Demon?: Ombre, Mammon, Swallowtail, Sizzle, Elegy
Number of Demon Familiars: 69

Lokakisa wrote:
Eilana wrote:I love this Loka and I love cats ^-^

Dogs come from a pack mentality, and are generally more trainable as they are eager to please.
Y'know cats are more like "talk to the paw" and will continue to do naughty things no matter how many times you try to break them out of the habit! Lolol
Well cats can be trained of course but we've all experienced that independent nature and "cold shoulder." A dog will follow you around and sit by you, while a cat just goes about its business. And they can be real stubborn. Let me in, let me out, no I don't want to move off this book you're reading ... lol
Besides temperament, body shapes and fur patterns, cats haven't changed much from their wild counterparts, compared to the change from wolf to domestic dog. Most housecats can go back to living wild as long as they are healthy and have their claws (not that I encourage this). But try putting little toy dogs out on the street, they wouldn't last a minute.
I think, depending on the time period or the place, domestication would depend on how much the people coddled the cats at the time. At the most they were just vermin-catchers. In some places they were a source of pelts, and of course we know that some people still use them for food. Besides being spoiled in Ancient Egypt, I think it wasn't until about 18th century Europe when people started to really take a fancy to them as pets. But you also have the good luck cats of Japan and the beautiful coat pattern from Siam, though I can't remember when cats began to get popular in the East.
Thank you! That's amazing Loka, that is exactly what I wasn't getting LOL I was like ... wait ... but ..cats are cats.... I see what they meant now by domestication.

That's really interesting to think about. I've always been more of a cat person, though I do love all animals I will admit now having a dog has been more challenging for me than cat ownership :lol: it's really true too about dogs not lasting a minute. I could set things up for my cats and just have someone come check them while I was away but dogs ... I can barely leave for the day and can only be gone so many hours unless I have someone to check on the dog. Totally new concept for me.

Your knowledge of cat history is amazing :devillust:

ROFL @ no I don't want to move off this book you're reading. I have one exactly like that
:death: :death: :death:

~ Burn the ships to take the island. ~

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Shifa

I happened to find this article debating on whether cats are truly domesticated or not - http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/ ... mesticated" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Ancient Cultures, History, and the Evolution of Religion and Spirituality”