Religious people are stupid and dangerous.

The place to post about ancient, lost, and forgotten cultures, archaeology and the old world.
Passemoon
Patron Deities: Cailleach, Tefnut, Bes, Kwan Im, Dark Lords

dragynraken wrote:
Calin wrote:How many demonologists or satanists do you know do community work?
In my thoughts. Is it compulsory they must do community work?

Lol I do volunteer and community work.. does it matter on the religion and beliefs? I always think that's like an individual thing. I can perfectly see a wealthy satanist donating large amounts of money to an animal shelter... :wink:
ImageImage

Don’t only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
Ludwig van Beethoven
Calin

Lol not wealthy but I do donate to our animal shelter every fortnight!
Noctua
Patron Deities: Loki

Most of us are religious. Brushing your teeth each day (or as the dental lords ask of us, after each meal) is a religion. If your path will always involve devotions to a particular deity whether they be Satan, Neptune, or Eris.. you're religious.
Religion is a commitment which borders on obsession, in harmony it nurtures and sustains and in dissidence it breeds volatility and ignorance.
"Do you even know that I know everything? I can see you like a.. sponge."
Daxflame

"No."
David Lynch
ASD_666
Patron Deities: Lilith, Lucifer, Belial, Leviathan, Hekate, The Morrigan
Your favourite Demon?: Lilith
Number of Demon Familiars: 7

While in this particular case I agree with you, I think it's important to draw a specific distinction - as much as dogmatic religion that forces everything to comply to it's will is damaging, anti-theism that insists all religion is destructive and all religious people are deluded madmen is equally brain dead and damaging. It's very easy to get swept up in western centric viewpoints and specific arguments against specific forms of religion, after all, that is the shared, lived experience. Especially for Americans, and especially if they lived through and remembered any of the Satanic panics that happened since the original panic of the 70's. But most anti-theists (especially the terminally online ones, you know what I mean) conflate the worst excesses of evangelical Christianity with every religion that has ever existed, and the critiques just don't stand up to scrutiny.

TLDR - Organized religion bad, anti-theist chuds equally bad, reasoned thought and discussion good, acceptance of others based :P
PupatingDeity
Patron Deities: Loki, Anpu, Fenrir, Aphrodite, Closed Mesoamerican Deities
Your favourite Demon?: Sebastian or Blue <3
Number of Demon Familiars: 3

I believe the terms "religious fanatic" or "cultist" would be more appropriate for the demographic OP is trying to describe. Not all who are religious are dangerous and/or stupid. Also, OP is addressing the dangerous mentality within most Abrahamic paths. You do not have to be of an Abrahamic faith to be religious. (Nor do you have to be of an Abrahamic path to be dangerous and/or stupid.) There are many, many other religions out there. To completely disregard all of those other belief systems is quite rude and disrespectful.

I, myself, am of an eclectic Pagan religion. I'm heavily religious. My religious beliefs are woven into nearly everything I do all day long. Yet I have not once thought about committing the atrocities that cultists or fanatics of any religion have done. The peaceful religious people are still here. We're just not as loud as the idiotic and dangerous.
THEY/THEM
32, chronically ill, parent, nerd, Omnist, Chaos Witch

Godspouse of Loki, Anpu, Fenrir, and 3 Anonymous Deities
Love and Balance Lightworker
Embrace the Chaos for it is Growth in disguise.

Return to “Ancient Cultures, History, and the Evolution of Religion and Spirituality”