Greek Philosophy Creates Zen Magic

A Place to practise and Learn together as a community. Post exercises and share results!

Moderator: Akelta

User1265455
Patron Deities: Paimon, Asmoday, Leviathan, Azazel, Amducius
Your favourite Demon?: Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 12

“Give me a place to stand, and a lever long enough, and I will move the world. ”
― Archimedes
Even practitioners of magic don’t always understand it. That’s important to remember, whether you’re a curious observer, a neophyte, or a seasoned worker of the Art.

There are few rules besides one – Know Thyself.

Most modern practitioners will tell you there are two types of magic – low magic, the art confined to worldly matters, everyday problems in life – love, career, money, safety, justice and revenge, healing. All these are, no matter how they are achieved, considered to be low magic. They affect this realm only – the lower realm only.

High magic is the magic of spiritual gnosis and transmutation. High magic, no matter how it’s done, is the art focused on evolving your spiritual consciousness.

Both are levers and a place to stand. However, as someone who’s been a practitioner for forty years, I can say with absolute certainty that when you polish and clarify your soul and make of yourself the purest lever, and your spirit the strongest place to stand, low magic is absolutely unnecessary.

About 8 months ago, I loaned out some of my spiritual and magical texts to two different people. Last week, I decided that eight months was more than enough time for them to learn what they could, and I was ready to have my books back.

I decided that when I next had a good mental health day, that I would contact the two borrowers, and ask for the return of my books.

This never happened. Instead, within three days of making the decision that I was ready to have my library complete again, and making a plan to bring that about, both people contacted me, scheduled a time to visit, and brought my books home to me.

This happened completely organically. My decision simply evolved into a solution, bricks fell into place, the Universe opened the way, and what I desired became reality, without any real effort on my part beyond actually deciding I was ready to call my stray texts home.

This is what High Magic achieves. Years of work to know myself, to shore up my weaknesses, or even to delve into the depths of them, years of work to refine my strengths, has made the entire universe my place to stand, and me the lever that moves the world as I see fit.

Not to say that I can walk on water, or prevent Trump from getting a second term in office, but – when situations touch on my life, my needs, my decisions – there I am the absolute authority. I am the power in my life.

Low magic gets you that job you thought you wanted, or that great guy you saw at the bar last night. Low magic doesn’t fix why you weren’t satisfied with your current employment, and it doesn’t make the relationship with that guy work out.

High magic makes you aware of your real needs, drives, desires – and as a consequence, what you decide you are ready for simply and naturally occurs, with, as the Zen Buddhists say, Effortless Effort.
You aren’t happy in your work – high magic lets you know who you are, and what your part is in your dissatisfaction, lets you see clearly what the root issue is, and when you’re ready, and you make a choice to fix it, the work that will bring you joy and satisfaction, wholeness within, will simply fall in your lap. The same will occur with relationships, with finances, with any lower realm concerns.

High Magic is why the perfect husband for me, for whom I am the perfect wife, simply fell into my lap – literally. We’ve been together nearly ten years now, and we’re as happy as we were, as in love as we were, when we first met… because we know who we are.

And yes, he, too, is a practitioner of the Greater Art.

Tl:Dr – So you want to use magic to make your life perfect… good luck with that. It takes work… because the only way to have a perfect life… is to perfect yourself.
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series
Chrysopaelian
Patron Deities: Eris
Your favourite Demon?: Prince Stolas
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

Thanks for sharing your insights here. I'm going to be looking into the Greek philosophers more over the next month or two, so if you have suggestions of what specifically to read I would appreciate that.

A lot of what you've said makes sense with the little bit that I've experienced so far. Very much appreciate your perspective.
S̡̻͎̺͖̟̋̌͗͊̀͆͘͡t̵̥̬̜͍̥̽̅̒́͋̊̍͞o̩̻̪̣͚̘͓̳̰̯̎̍̄̈́̕͘l̷̞͔͓̭̹͖̳̅̅̃̂͐ơ̛̛̱̩͇͍͈̫̖͋͗̅̍̂́͢s̢̡̺̖̯̱̮̼̠̪̾̿͆̄́̅̅̿̀̾ Ŕ͉̫̩̟̪̳̀̑͛̇̓͢͢͠ͅa̵̗̯̭͓̘̞̜̓̓̐̀̑̏̾̾̕͘m͍͈͔̯͌̌̎̒̄́̍͟e̛̮̻͈͕̭̲͛̀̊͂̕͟͞c̴̱͖̰̠̤͉̥̣̲͛̅͗̿̀͊͊̈̐̐͟ v̬͉̞̜̺͚͒̒̓͂̉́͒͑̇͘͟i̭̰̰̥͑̏̏̀͛͟͟͞ả̸͈͇̻̦̱̿̾̾͐͌̌͟ṡ͙̙̝̯͎̩͂̃̒̕͜͢ă͍͔̟͇̞̣̩͈̪̎̆̃̆͟ ơ̴̤̰͎̲̬̙̺̪̋̑͛͡ṉ̵̡̧̖͆̓̊̌̄͜ c̸̛̹͙̗̮̻̾̎̀͌̄͜ȃ̶̡̡̹̬̞͖̼́̉̄͞͠
Darth Moronius

this interesting :devilread: :devilread:
User3246
Patron Deities: Papa Legba, Shiva, Odin
Your favourite Demon?: Samael , Lord Uphir, Lord Asmodeus, Lord Satan, Lord Mammon, Lord Azazel
Number of Demon Familiars: 17

Certainly something to think about. Good share!
“If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.” – Jim Rohn

"The Master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Do not rely on ANYTHING, unexamined. If It does not seem to fit, ask about it. If it ultimately degrades or dishonors or holds you back, it is bad for you, so remove it from your life. If it takes from you and never gives back, it is a leech. Discard it. In magick rely only on your own work: What you have seen and done and used for your own self and in your own way. Only keep what in your own estimation is worth keeping. (Hellcat's Rules Of Satanic Magick)"

Don't get too close. It's Dark inside. It's where my Demons hide!

Hailing Satan isn't a hobby, its a lifestyle. (S@tan)
moonshadowlab

If it is as easy as making up your mind about what you want to do and wait for it to evolve then I define rly have to try this
Amaranth Rose
Number of Demon Familiars: 5

Thanks so much Raven!! Your posts always help me. I will definitely focus on the things you discussed and apply them to my studies.
On a side note, I laughed out loud at your Trump joke. Lol!! If only!!
Hope will never die!" -Lucina
“In a world of spiders and flies, you are a butterfly.” - companion J

Return to “Study Groups and Community Exercises”