All About Scrying!

A Place to practise and Learn together as a community. Post exercises and share results!

Moderator: Akelta

User1265455
Patron Deities: Paimon, Asmoday, Leviathan, Azazel, Amducius
Your favourite Demon?: Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 12

Aloventor wrote:What is "Scrying" and why does one need an Onyx Mirror for it?

Scrying is a divination practice that uses crystal balls or other reflective surfaces.

Black mirrors aren't made from onyx, they're made from obsidian.

Typically, we use obsidian mirrors for scrying only when we intend to conjure the being we scry. Other surfaces that can be used for scrying include: A bowl of water with a silver coin in the bottom of it; literally any reflective surface (which is why the first thing you should EVER do when getting a new mirror is warding the fuck out of it); crystals that reflect light, in any shape.

Ancients used to scry in wells or sacred pools, especially when the moon was full and shone down into the pool.
https://themoonlightshop.com/blogs/news ... i-learn-it

What Is Scrying And Why Should I Learn It?

Many witches use scrying in their practice to uncover truths about themselves and the world around them. The word “scrying” means to reveal or to perceive. To be a scryer, you are crossing over to another consciousness, a mystical plane, and leaving behind your conscious mind. The formal definition being: “Scrying is the art of gazing into a dark mirror, water or crystal, going beyond the physical eyes and letting the inner psychic eye open allowing us to receive visions and information.”

The use of the crystal ball
To scry, you need a reflective surface as a medium you can gaze into. This is where the water, the candle’s flame, the mirror, or the crystal ball comes into play. The earliest use of the crystal ball recorded was by the Druids and the Scottish Highlanders. They referred to them as the “stones of power.”

In the middle ages, crystal balls were considered precious items that should be passed on from one to another. Apache medicine men would use clear quartz crystals to induce visions.
The crystal ball is also used to communicate with the Divine. Through the crystal ball, the Divine can impart messages, lessons, warnings, and nuggets of wisdom. And in turn, you may communicate with the Divine through this very same medium.

Our ancestors and scrying
Our ancestors used the clouds during the day and the reflection of the moon in a puddle of water at night to scry. Many witches of today use the crystal ball to stimulate psychically induced images and perform scrying.

Our ancestors existing before the era of cell phones and an internet connection, and relied on nothing but the written word carried by a messenger or the spoken word, would turn to scrying and people were away from loved ones, scrying was one way to keep an eye on their loved ones and predict their situation.

The world was a much bigger place then which they could not traverse the same way we do now.

What will you see?
So what does one see in the puddles of water, mirrors, candle flames, and crystal balls? Well, usually irregular shapes or clear images from the past. What makes each experience unique is that it is up to the scryer to interpret the images that come up in the reflective surface, which, if the scryer wants to hone this skill and read with accuracy, should involve a lot of practice. A mark of an advanced scryer is the ability to read and interpret messages anytime and anywhere.

Scrying a learned skill
Scrying is a learned skill. Just like riding a bike is or driving a stick shift car. For the beginner, do not be intimidated by the practice since there is no right or wrong interpretation. Different things work for different people, so do not be afraid to experiment. Even if say you have the innate talent, there is still a learning curve you need to get past before you experience growth and a deeper understanding of the practice.

What to expect
When starting out, there will be times when you feel like you’re hitting a wall. And then there are times when you see a sliver of hope because things are working well. With this, I say, just keep on going! Because you will come to realize that there are more highs than lows in learning scrying. Some spend weeks, months, years, it is different for everyone. But the sooner you start, the sooner you come close to learning it well.

Why bother learning scrying?
You might wonder why would you wanna bother learning scrying? What will scrying do for you?

Everyone has this natural interest in what the future holds or what the present situation is trying to tell them. It can be about careers, financial situations, health, and relationships.
But the changeable quality of the future can become clearer to you through practice and careful and cautious study and contemplation of the symbols, images and messages that are shown to you. This way, you can make effective choices in your life and influence your destiny.

The most learned witches are expert scryers and are able to discern and interpret what is revealed to them, in whatever form it is presented.
https://lonerwolf.com/scrying/

Scrying: How to Practice the Ancient Art of Second Sight (With Pictures)
by Aletheia Luna

Scrying, also known by the names of hydromancy, crystal gazing and oculomancy, is the ancient art of revelation.

Traditionally, scrying has been portrayed through the popular image of the psychic gazing over her crystal ball. But scrying, like all esoteric practices, is not about “seeing the future.” The future can’t be seen, it can only be speculated based on present moment information.

The word “scrying” actually comes from the Old English word descry which means “to make out dimly” or “to reveal.” Therefore, scrying is about revealing the unseen through the use of our in-born second sight. Second sight is our capacity to see things that can’t usually be perceived through our five senses.

Scrying was first mentioned in the 10th Century in an Ancient Persian text called the “Shahnameh.” Later, as Christianity rose to power, scrying was outlawed as a work of the “devil.” And yet almost every culture has used some form of scrying: from the Native American’s observation of smoke, to the Egyptians use of oil gazing to gain wisdom. These days, scrying has largely evolved into a pagan practice. But you don’t have to be pagan to experiment with it.

Scrying helps us to get in touch with our unconscious minds: the realm of the soul. As such, it can be used as a powerful form of self-understanding and psychoanalysis. If you’re struggling to find direction, meaning or purpose in life, scrying could be a wonderful way to get in touch with your core needs, dreams and goals.

Usually, scrying is performed with the use of a reflective surface, such as a mirror, water or crystal globe. However, there are many other forms. Here are nine common types:

Wax – This is done by dripping wax onto a water surface. The scryer then interprets the images or words formed from the dried wax.
Cloud – Also called cloud gazing, this form of scrying involves observing clouds and the shapes they form. This is used to gather special information or knowledge.
Mirror – This is perhaps the most popular form of scrying. Also called catoptromancy, this involves relaxing your vision and staring into a mirror. After a while, images and scenes will begin to emerge.
Water – Staring into water, images can be perceived after a time. Objects such as pebbles can also be dropped into the water to create ripples. These ripples are then interpreted.
Oil – This form of scrying can involve pouring oil into a dish, rubbing it on the body, or coating a cup/plate. The scryer then observes the light reflected off the oil for information.
Fire – Possibly the most ancient form of scrying, this type of scrying involves gazing into fiery flames for visions. This can be done through the use of a simple candle or oil lamp. Bonus points if it’s a bonfire!
Smoke – As smoke rises from fire, its ethereal shapes present spiritual messages.
Crystal – This is the stereotypical form of scrying, but nonetheless very effective. It involves the use of a crystal object (usually a ball or globe) to gather special meaning.
Eye – This is unusual! Also called soul gazing, this form of scrying involves looking deep within a person’s eyes and observing the reflections.

As we can see, we’ve practiced unknowingly many types of scrying in childhood and throughout our adult lives!

How to Practice Scrying

For this demonstration, I’ve chosen water scrying, also known as hydromancy. I particularly like water because it is fluid and it has been proven to adjust to our personal vibrations. Water to me is also symbolic of consciousness, so it seems very fitting to use it for the purpose of conscious revelation.

You’re welcome to copy my method or create one of your own. Also, don’t feel restricted by water, especially if it doesn’t “call” to you. Experiment with many of the other scrying techniques I described above.

What you will need:
A bowl (preferably black or natural)
Water (preferably natural)
1 or 2 candles
Lighter/matches
Crystal/small object
Table
Darkness (e.g. a room at night)
Optional:
Smudge stick

1. Fill your bowl with water.

I bought this wooden bowl at the thrift store for $1. I prefer wood, but you can also use a dark (navy or black) plastic, marble or glass bowl. Dark bowls are recommended because they allow you to concentrate better.

You can put your bowl out in the rain to collect natural rainwater (like I did above). Or you can fill your bowl with mineral water. If all else fails, tap water should be fine.

2. Put your crystal in the bowl.

Prepare your space. You can water scry indoors or outdoors. Just ensure you have a clear space to put your bowl and a candle or two. I chose this crystal quartz as the focal point for my water scrying. Quartz is said to have balancing, amplifying and focusing properties. You can choose any object you like (it doesn’t have to be a crystal). Ensure that the object is right in the center of the bowl: it will serve as a point on which your eyes can focus.

3. (Optional) Smudge the area.

Smudging is the ancient practice of energetically cleansing spaces and people. You can learn how to make your own easy, affordable smudge stick in this article. (This is actually the exact same smudge stick I made, but dried!) To use your smudge stick, light its tip and blow it out. Draw the stick over the space you want to use with an intention in mind. More details can be found here.

4. Light the candle/s.

Light your candles and place them either side of your bowl. The light of the candles must be able to reflect off the surface of the water.

5. Enter a trance-like state.

Trance is an altered state of consciousness. Almost every culture known to man has had its own trance rituals. These may include chanting, drum beating, dancing, singing, fasting, the use of psychoactive plants and visualization. In your case, simply meditating may help you quickly enter into a trance-like state. I like to focus on my breath while listening to tribal music.

Remember, all of this needs to be done in a darkened room preferably at night. You could also try scrying outside as the sense of expansion could contribute favorably to your experience.

6. Stare into the water.

After you have achieved an altered state of consciousness, you can then gaze into the bowl. You’ll be able to tell when you’ve reached an altered state when you feel peaceful, expanded, alert, focused and connected.

In order to scry, your eyes need to be relaxed. The crystal (or other object(s)) in the center of the bowl will help to focus your eyes. You might also like to seat yourself in a comfortable position, as sometimes scrying can take a while. Be patient. Often it takes many tries to master scrying.

Next, hold your intention in mind. For example, your intention may be to uncover a hidden gift of yours, or perhaps to discover what is holding you back from achieving a dream. As you gaze into the water, let your eyes soften. Relax your entire face, from your mouth to your ears. Breathe deeply from your stomach. At times images may come and go briefly. Don’t try to hold on to them – this will make it much harder to scry. Instead, allow all images and sensations to come and go freely. The goal is to become a passive observer rather than an active participant. Once again, this can take practice.
After a while, your mind may start to wander. Allow it to. However, ensure that your eyes stay focused within the bowl. Eventually, a word, image or even entire scene may play out before you. This is normal. Once you “feel” that your scrying session is over, you may like to ruminate on the words, images or scenes that were presented to you. What were they trying to reveal? Sometimes you’ll be able to immediately understand the nature of the visions presented to you, but not always. Look out for symbolism, analogy and metaphor.

Tips: I like to put a cushion on the floor and sit on it, so that the bowl on the table is at chest height. Before scrying experiment with a comfortable seating position. For example, you may prefer to have the bowl very close to your face or very far away. This all depends on personal preference.

Scrying is the ancient practice of accessing the unconscious mind. While some forms of scrying may appeal to you, others may be incompatible. Finally, always ensure that you scry with an intention in mind, otherwise you’ll walk away disappointed.

I hope you benefited from this article. Tell me, have you tried scrying? What was your experience like and what did you discover?
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series
User1265455

Aloventor wrote: So basically, it could help me see the future until I can regain my bearings in the spiritual and get comfortable.
A sort of tool.
You can scry for many things... it's not just helpful in predicting future events. You can scry conversations right now - so like, I could pull out my scrying tools and talk to one of my companions, or to an ancestor, or to my patron or mentors.

If I'm having trouble with a personal issue, sometimes it helps for me to scry the root of it, look into my past to see where it started.

You can also use scrying to find lost objects or people.

Basically, any application of divination that you can do with other systems, you can do with this.
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
User1265455

http://www.crystalskulls.com/scrying-crystals.html
The Art of Scrying with Crystals and Crystal Skulls

How to do scrying
Scrying, also known as crystal gazing or crystallomancy, allows one to see psychic visions or impressions in a particular medium, such as a crystal ball or polished black surfaces such as black obsidian or golden obsidian or a scrying mirror. Scrying is a powerful psychic tool. It can bring hidden knowledge and clairvoyant ability and can act as a portal to other planes of existence.

For centuries, many cultures around the world have used scrying techniques for divining the past, present, and future. History shows its use in many of the traditional mystery schools and oracular temples, and Nostradamus used scrying with a bowl of water to foresee the future. This powerful tool is now even being used for therapeutic purposes, as Dr. Raymond Moody has utilized scrying techniques to allow people to access an altered state of consciousness so they can connect with the spirit world and departed loved ones.

Scrying is the art of gazing into or upon a crystal (or a dark mirror-like surface such as polished obsidian), allowing the physical eyes to relax, and letting the inner psychic eyes open to receive desired visions or information. Scrying tools allow one to achieve the state of mind required for entering a trance, acting as a focal point for visualization, which can become a doorway into the astral plane. Scrying allows communication with higher realms, the subconscious self, and access to the Akashic record (which contains the record of the soul, and information about All That Is, all that has been, and all that will be). Accessing the Akashic record can offer a vast source of timeless knowledge.

A clear crystal ball or clear crystal skull are wonderful tools for scrying, as are dark polished crystals such as obsidian. With scrying, a person has the ability to focus intent in order to receive visions and desired information. Scrying can provide a connection with one’s guides who can lead the scryer in astral travel and mental journeying through crystal gazing. Scrying develops one's clairvoyant abilities and is especially helpful in strengthening the third eye.

Scrying can be used to:
Receive clairvoyant visions
Access the Akashic Record for yourself or others
Contact spirits and spirit guides
Access knowledge from higher realms
Heal yourself and others
Receive and transmit energy and information
Divine the past, present and future
Access a portal to the astral plane
Experience shamanic journeying

HOW TO BEGIN SCRYING

Choose to sit where you will be comfortable for at least 20 minutes. Make sure that you are in a quiet place where will not be disturbed or distracted.

Create a sacred space in a dark room for your scrying session, with the only light being from a white candle or a dim light source behind you and below you. Place your crystal at a comfortable level in front of you so that the light is not reflecting into your crystal. (Some people may prefer to have two candles on either side of the crystal)

Set your intention for the session of what you are seeking to experience.

Close your eyes and visualize a bubble of white light completely surrounding you and your crystal. Imagine that the entire room you are in is filled with the light of love and protection. Visualize a circle of protection around you and know that you are safe and in control of all that happens within it.

Call upon your guides, guardians and angels, and ask to be shown all that is for the highest and best good of all for you to see and to know. Feel your guides loving and supporting you on this journey.
Ask to be given access to the highest levels of the Akashic Record.

Imagine your crystal filled with light and surrounded by light. Call upon the guides, guardians and masters of the crystal to guide you through a gentle healing journey to access all that you need and desire to know, to see and to experience.

Once you are ready, close your eyes and begin to relax. Breathe slowly and deeply into your abdomen. With each breath in, feel yourself relaxing more and more. Each time you exhale, feel every part of your body releasing, relieved of all tension.

Begin to breath rhythmically and fully; try a count of four in, hold four, release four; four in, hold four, release four and so on.

Feel yourself entering a light trance surrounded by sacred space, removed from time and the material world. Silently call your guides, guardians and angels, thanking them for their love, guidance and protection, and reaffirm your desire, intention and purpose.

Now open your physical eyes and gaze into the crystal; remain relaxed and do not hesitate to blink when necessary. Peer deeply into the crystal, or try relaxing your gaze and looking a few inches beyond the crystal. If working with a crystal skull, look deeply into its eyes, or turn it around and look into or beyond its cranium. Do not stare intently, but instead simply gaze into or beyond the crystal in a gentle manner, allowing your eyes to relax. Your eyelids may want to close halfway, which is fine.

Create a conscious link between your third eye and the crystal by visualizing a ray of light coming out of your third eye and entering the crystal.

Relax the focus of your eyes but remain alert. After a while, the surface of the crystal will begin to change and fade; a mist, clouding or fog may appear.

Your inner eyes will now open, and your crystal journey begins. Remember that the inner eye sees inside the mind, through the imagination. Most people when scrying do not see the images appear with their physical eyes in the crystal, but see within the crystal and in the mind's eye. The crystal acts as a focal point, a gateway within. The images can morph into other images, they can be symbols, or they may be actual pictures of events – past, present or future. Try not to judge or control the images, just allow it to flow.

Keep your mind blank except if you have a specific question to ask, then relax and allow the answer to appear and be shown to you.

Do not scry for more than 20 minutes at first.

When you have completed your journey or the work you set out to do, begin to return to your body and ordinary senses. Breathe fully and deeply, and remain still until you feel you have completely returned. Feel yourself stretching into your body, embodying every cell. Now close your eyes and remember all you saw and felt during the scrying or journey. Review your entire experience mentally, and write it all down immediately.

To begin to see
This is a very important exercise to master if you are new to scrying or are having trouble receiving images. It will aid your "visual imagination," which allows your psychic and physical eyes to see clearly together. It promotes clairvoyant strength; it gives discipline and strengthens the inner eye so visions can come with clarity and ease.

Sit in front of your crystal and begin to imagine objects on its surface and within it, one after another. You should try to see these images clearly in the crystal with your eyes open, just as if they were there in reality. Try simple shapes or colors first. Hold onto the image of each shape, object or color one minute before dissolving it and going on to the next. For example, use a red triangle, a yellow square, a blue circle and silver crescent; see them appear in the crystal using your firm imagination. For best results, do this exercise every day for 15 minutes until it is mastered.
User1265455

http://www.crystalinks.com/mirrorscrying.html

Mirror scrying is an evolved form of water scrying. When it became possible to build mirrors they were regarded as being like water that was fixed into one place.

The early mirrors were made of polished copper, brass, marcasite, tin foil or mercury behind glass, polished silver and obsidian. All types of mirrors may be used for scrying and the size is not important.

Because mirrors are linked to the moon mirrors should be backed with silver. Try and use a round or oval mirror instead of a square mirror.

For the frame try and use a mirror that has a silver frame. Old mirrors also seem to work better than new mirrors.

Most seers prefer to use a black mirror. Because this is difficult to buy you may have to make one.

Just simply take out the glass and paint it black. You may have to give it a few coats of paint though. When you put it back in the frame make sure the glass part is to the front.

The use of black mirrors may be traced back over the centuries. Alchemists Edward Kelley and John Dee used a black mirror of shewstone - a piece of polished obsidian.

Catoxtromancy is a form of divination by means of looking glasses. In ancient Rome, special diviners known as "blindfolded boys" were known to gaze into mirrors in order to experience visions of the future or of the unknown, and according to the 4th century 'Scriptores Historiae Augustae' the death of Julian the Apostate was accurately predicted by diviners using this method.

When using the black mirror for scrying you do not want to see your reflection. The best is to leave the mirror on a table and look at it from an angle.

Look into the depths of the mirror as though you were looking into a bowl of water. At first it may appear gray than colors will come and go.

With time and practice you will be able to see sacred images like still photographs or moving film images. Spirits may sometimes look at the scryer, talk to the scryer or even touch the scryer. The visions may even exist outside the mirror and surround the scryer on all sides.
http://www.thehoodwitch.com/

Obsidian removes energetic blockages from your chakras, exposes your ego motivations, empowers manifestation rituals, and aligns your actions with Divine Will. Obsidian is a strongly protective stone, forming a shield against negativity. It grounds you to the earth through the base chakra, absorbs negative energies from the environment, and strengthens you in times of need. It is helpful to highly sensitive people. It blocks psychic attack and removes negative spiritual influences.
Calin

Great posts. Scrying generally takes time to learn, so daily practice and patience are required. Astaroth can definitely help with this, she was happy to charge the mirror I made, and reiterated the importance of daily practice. She suggested using companions to practice with (if you have them) so don't feel like you need to call a demon Lord every time if you do. Lovely demon, Astaroth.

Return to “Study Groups and Community Exercises”