Who is the real satan? Where did lucifer come from?

Questions and Answers for where to begin on the Darker Spiritual Paths.

Moderator: Akelta

Shershah.chowdhury

I read on here and on different forums about there being different satans in different realms and satan is a title but who is the real satan the actual lord of all the demons? How would you know you're not talking to one of those multiple imposter satans from other realms and not the actual satan himself?

Also where did lucifer come from..hes only mentioned in the bible once and nowhere else so wouldnt that mean satanists believe in the bible. I'm not Christian & last thing is why is there a divide in satanism, half of satanist say lucifer and satan are the same person and other half say they're 2 different beings... how can that make sense...surely satanists would know who they're worshipping or following and believe 1 thing instead of 2 opinions.
SerenitySpells
Patron Deities: Hades, Haagenti, Oriax, Morrigan,
Your favourite Demon?: King Paimon, Buer, Haagenti and Oriax
Number of Demon Familiars: 3

We need to start with 382 AD when Jerome was commissioned to revise many latin versions of the bible.
He was meant to base the translations on ancient Hebrew but instead to turn to the easier Greek language Septuagint version.

He misunderstood the Hebrew Heylel (used for Satan), and translated it into Latin as Lucifer.

Due to this and the wide spread sales of the bible that then occurred we end up in Europe with Satan and Lucifer being seen as the same.

All this came about due to the Greek older mistranslation of Heylel into Eosphoros which is an old way of writing Phosphoros.

Phosphoros and Lucifer mean the same thing. = Light bearer.

Once you start going through the mistranslations you see the Greek and Latin connect all the way through the bible. However none make sense to ancient Hebrew and Akkadian and Cuneiform which were the original languages.

In the KJV Lucifer is mentioned in Isaiah 14:12 when the the fall of the King of Babylon is referenced. This is now also the belief of many Theologians - who have studied ancient Hebrew, Cuneiform, Urdu, Akkadian etc

Peter also mentions Jesus with the words "Morning Star". (again Greek translation)

What we can see is the term "Morning Star" is therefore also a title, the same as Satan and Lucifer is. The brightest and first thing seen in the morning sky.

The bible cannot be taken too literally as it has been translated from many different languages to finally English. Along the way you lose the original context of the word.

The Greek translation of Daemon to Demon is a good example of that.

My eldest studies Assyriology and reads Cuneiform and Demons are the Sumerian "spirits / ancient ones" etc There is no correct translation. In Sumerian Pazuzu is a kind and helpful entity who heals and protects but now he is seen as evil due to how he has been written about and portrayed in movies.

Also the old testament is a rehash of the Sumerian creation story written in a format that the people that lived in that new time could understand. Again Theologians are now in agreement with this - see Professor Irvine Finkle of the British Museum among others.

I apologise for going off topic.
:witch:

“One cannot step twice in the same river” – Heraclitus

“The unexamined life is not worth living” – Socrates
Heretique
Patron Deities: Set, Kali ma, guided heavily by Svengali and Lucifer
Your favourite Demon?: Svengali, Lucifer, Paimon, Azazel, Lucifuge Rofocale, Eurynomous, Namaah, Belial, Lord O
Number of Demon Familiars: 6

It literally depends on what you believe as to who the “ real” one is in you own view. But i personally dont think any one is “ more real” then others. These others are not “ imposters” just they exist at different levels and vibrations. And to me Satan is not simply lord of all demons and just that. in Osw which is the version i connect more with; he is lord of core groups of demons but not all demons in existence in my understanding i also have personal gnosis of how the current Satan became the core ruler, but he is also source of demonic divine, so it is rather more encompassing then just a title and even in one being there are different aspects ( like faces) you can connect with. Also some satanists do not even see satan as a being, but the energy of source. As for Lucifer again depends on who you connect with and your beliefs. I know who he is for me, but there is not just one right answer for this. If we solely look at human literary works and/or limit the beings origins to that ( which they are not created by humans imo nor limited to human knowledge of things) then it pretty much follows what Sengdroma mentioned. Also thanks Sengdroma for going into the detail of it all as well.
Lycana
Patron Deities: Lucifer, Diana, Belial, Naamah, Sobek, Juno, Hethert etc
Your favourite Demon?: arachne, spectral, hellborn, void, mutilation. serpentine and tempest

As pointed out it really depends on your prespective.
As an Etrusco-Roman polytheist, I identify Lucifer as both a minor Roman spirit as well as a title of my gods Apollo and Diana (Lucifero and Luciferia). When I think of Lucifer, I think of Apollo. This is reinforced by my witchcraft tradition that I belong to. That is entirely my perspective and relationship with him. Depending on your relationship and how you are approaching him your mileage will vary naturally, as do the views of everyone else regarding him.
Shershah.chowdhury

Lycana wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 12:10 pm
As an Etrusco-Roman polytheist, I identify Lucifer as both a minor Roman spirit as well as a title of my gods Apollo and Diana (Lucifero and Luciferia). When I think of Lucifer, I think of Apollo. This is reinforced by my witchcraft tradition that I belong to. That is entirely my perspective and relationship with him. Depending on your relationship and how you are approaching him your mileage will vary naturally, as do the views of everyone else regarding him.
That doesnt make sense, their cant be different versions of 1 being then that means those other versions ain't that being. If theres 1 queen elizabeth and theres another person called queen elizabeth in another country does that mean they're the same person.
Red6joker
Patron Deities: Lord Lucifer, Lady Scylla
Your favourite Demon?: Lord Lucifer, Lord Satan, all of my awesome companions
Number of Demon Familiars: 93

Shershah.chowdhury wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:37 am
Lycana wrote:
That doesnt make sense, their cant be different versions of 1 being then that means those other versions ain't that being. If theres 1 queen elizabeth and theres another person called queen elizabeth in another country does that mean they're the same person.
Yes they can be different versions of the same being. Your views of what is possible is limiting on what you perceive around you.

Lucifer himself has different aspects such as a dark, a light, dragon, angel, and infernal that I know of. Him having a female aspect would not surprise me in the slightest.

Apollo has been associated with Lucifer before just a different name.

If their was a queen Elizabeth of country A, there is nothing stopping the possibility of a queen Elizabeth of country B, and they can be very different or similar it all depends on perception and interaction.

If you want to approach Satan or Lucifer as separate beings then you can. If you want to approach them as the same then you can also, they will not waste time correcting your views as it is not important enough. Many demons do that when they get called the wrong name. They just say "yeah sure I'm so and so also" rather than going into the details and explaining the differences, when the practitioner can't tell the difference themselves. It's usually not worth the time and effort.

If you view them as one thing then that is fine. As you grow your views will change naturally if you let it. BUT your views does not mean someone else's are wrong.
Lycana
Patron Deities: Lucifer, Diana, Belial, Naamah, Sobek, Juno, Hethert etc
Your favourite Demon?: arachne, spectral, hellborn, void, mutilation. serpentine and tempest

Shershah.chowdhury wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:37 am
Lycana wrote:
In the context that I’m speaking of it is traditional Roman. There is a literal minor god/spirit called Lucifer who is the morning star, he is under the Kingdom/domain of Apollo who is titled Lucifer who is also connected to the same star which is why Lucifer is within his domain and the twilight period marked by that star as the first and last star visible before dawn. In this context Lucifer can apply to either. Strega who call upon Lucifer as usually talking to Apollo as Lucifer, the gods who rebelled against his father and was cast down etc.

Those who don’t follow an Italian/Roman perspective from which the name Lucifer comes may not acknowledge this however and honor Lucifer from another context.

In the ancient world and early Christianity and even medieval Christianity names and titles link various expressions across regions of the being recognized as the same.

Return to “Starting out on the LHP and the Dark Spiritual Paths”