Choosing your Patron Deity?

Questions and Answers for where to begin on the Darker Spiritual Paths.

Moderator: Akelta

Soultransformer

I've been doing alot of reading, and I came across choosing your Patron Deity. That there are several ways to do this: by choosing one that is simalar to some part of you, by your element, or by how you generally feel. There are quite a few demons listed, if you see one or several that fit your element or that are similar to you, you will probably need to get to know them. You probably need to work with them in order to know if there's a connection. Do you research them, do you meditate on them, or what are other ways to get to know them in order to help choose your Patron Deity?
Anatel
Your favourite Demon?: DH, my twin
Number of Demon Familiars: 16

Research and meditation are good ideas. You can also do some form of sigil art, you can draw the sigil on a piece of paper and sleep with it under your pillow or mattress, sigil jewelry, prayers , incense and candle offerings, herbal offerings. Anything that can forge a respectful connection. When you want to decide on a patron, choose a Demon and stick with just that Demon for a period of time. I'd say like 3-4 weeks. that should give you enough time to decide if you want to continue working with Him/Her and will also help you form a bit of a relationship regardless of if you move on or not. Dont rush on choosing a Patron, especially if youre new. Take your time :) Of course, that also depends on what path you follow. you could have 100 patrons if you wanted to lol It sounds like you are reading Connolly's book, in which case she suggests and practices only choosing one Patron, and doing it very carefully.
Age is a number and an attitude......and a measurement of how far you can toss your boobs- Akelta
Soultransformer

MagicWand-a wrote:Research and meditation are good ideas. You can also do some form of sigil art, you can draw the sigil on a piece of paper and sleep with it under your pillow or mattress, sigil jewelry, prayers , incense and candle offerings, herbal offerings. Anything that can forge a respectful connection. When you want to decide on a patron, choose a Demon and stick with just that Demon for a period of time. I'd say like 3-4 weeks. that should give you enough time to decide if you want to continue working with Him/Her and will also help you form a bit of a relationship regardless of if you move on or not. Dont rush on choosing a Patron, especially if youre new. Take your time :) Of course, that also depends on what path you follow. you could have 100 patrons if you wanted to lol It sounds like you are reading Connolly's book, in which case she suggests and practices only choosing one Patron, and doing it very carefully.
Yeah you guessed correcty about the book I'm reading lol. Don't know where to start so I'll just start with getting to know my elemental demon, and if not move on to the ones with Egyptian names since I've always been drawn to ancient Egypt ever since I was a kid.
Anatel

The Egyptian pantheon is perfectly fine to start with :) Many Demonolators incorporate them into their path. In fact, Connolly has worked closely with Set and Thoth( and has invoked Him in the past for writing creativity). I would recommend starting with the lesson on page 186 of her Complete book of Demonolatry book. She suggests going through the demon directory and finding one or two demons that you feel you resonate with. I took this a bit further. i looked at the names, then the sigils, then the Enns. I said the enns to see if i felt anything, looked at the sigils to see how i felt. if i felt a connection, a tingle, a bit of dizziness (there are subtle signs) then I would do research on that Demon. if i STILL felt a connection, i would meditate, if i STILL felt a connection i would put out offerings, say prayers, light candles etc to forge a relationship.
Also, her reading list for beginners- not sure if you've seen that yet but its ..Initiation into Hermetics by Franz Bardon is a good start. it lays the foundation for many magickal paths, as well as demonolatry.
Age is a number and an attitude......and a measurement of how far you can toss your boobs- Akelta
Soultransformer

MagicWand-a wrote:The Egyptian pantheon is perfectly fine to start with :) Many Demonolators incorporate them into their path. In fact, Connolly has worked closely with Set and Thoth( and has invoked Him in the past for writing creativity). I would recommend starting with the lesson on page 186 of her Complete book of Demonolatry book. She suggests going through the demon directory and finding one or two demons that you feel you resonate with. I took this a bit further. i looked at the names, then the sigils, then the Enns. I said the enns to see if i felt anything, looked at the sigils to see how i felt. if i felt a connection, a tingle, a bit of dizziness (there are subtle signs) then I would do research on that Demon. if i STILL felt a connection, i would meditate, if i STILL felt a connection i would put out offerings, say prayers, light candles etc to forge a relationship.
Also, her reading list for beginners- not sure if you've seen that yet but its ..Initiation into Hermetics by Franz Bardon is a good start. it lays the foundation for many magickal paths, as well as demonolatry.
Thanks for that, I'm gonna try and work on that. I hadn't gotten that far in the book yet or to the lessons, but I was only thinking ahead cuz she did mentioned it earlier before the actual lessons.
Soultransformer

What's an actual good source to get pictures of demons? I'm going through a demon dictionary and looking up their names with google image search, but don't know how accurate google results are with demon names. Looking for a demon with a look that appeals to me now as mentioned in that exercise. So far I've found Abigor and Agrat-bat-mahlat real appealing . I still have alot to go before I've gone through the whole demon directory, but I've gone through all the A listings.
Vixen

soultransformer wrote:What's an actual good source to get pictures of demons? I'm going through a demon dictionary and looking up their names with google image search, but don't know how accurate google results are with demon names. Looking for a demon with a look that appeals to me now as mentioned in that exercise. So far I've found Abigor and Agrat-bat-mahlat real appealing . I still have alot to go before I've gone through the whole demon directory, but I've gone through all the A listings.
In that case google images is not your friend LOL, the most rhp slanted images ever! Hmm, I actually wouldn't know image wise where to find good pictures of them...
cotton candy delirium
...madness like sugar
sweetness
still dark
but colored
ravenous ecstasy
in cookies cream
Anatel

soultransformer wrote:What's an actual good source to get pictures of demons? I'm going through a demon dictionary and looking up their names with google image search, but don't know how accurate google results are with demon names. Looking for a demon with a look that appeals to me now as mentioned in that exercise. So far I've found Abigor and Agrat-bat-mahlat real appealing . I still have alot to go before I've gone through the whole demon directory, but I've gone through all the A listings.
LOL luna is so right there.
I would not go by pictures if i were you. the reason they are so scant, is because Demons can appear differently to different people. You can have ten people see the same demon and have nearly ten differing descriptions.
Soultransformer

MagicWand-a wrote:
LOL luna is so right there.
I would not go by pictures if i were you. the reason they are so scant, is because Demons can appear differently to different people. You can have ten people see the same demon and have nearly ten differing descriptions.
lol I'll just leave that one out as in picking a demon that appears best to me in looks. I'll just go by the other one that she sugests in the book and then meditating on them. I'm a visual person so that's why I was looking for pictures.
Galadraal
Number of Demon Familiars: 10

MagicWand-a wrote:The Egyptian pantheon is perfectly fine to start with :) Many Demonolators incorporate them into their path. In fact, Connolly has worked closely with Set and Thoth( and has invoked Him in the past for writing creativity). I would recommend starting with the lesson on page 186 of her Complete book of Demonolatry book. She suggests going through the demon directory and finding one or two demons that you feel you resonate with. I took this a bit further. i looked at the names, then the sigils, then the Enns. I said the enns to see if i felt anything, looked at the sigils to see how i felt. if i felt a connection, a tingle, a bit of dizziness (there are subtle signs) then I would do research on that Demon. if i STILL felt a connection, i would meditate, if i STILL felt a connection i would put out offerings, say prayers, light candles etc to forge a relationship.

There wasn't a "thank you" button so I just quoted you to thank you :-) I haven't really thought of looking for a patron yet but I have been drawn to Lord Mammon. I don't even know most of the demons yet :devilviolin: so reading through their names, seeing their sigils and reading their enns sounds like an excellent way to learn about them and how I resonate with them. I've been interested in Egyptian gods and goddesses for a long time too :-)

Return to “Starting out on the LHP and the Dark Spiritual Paths”