Transitioning part 1- Christianity (or any RHP) to Satanism

Questions and Answers for where to begin on the Darker Spiritual Paths.

Moderator: Akelta

Archdregs

Can't wait for part two.
Preston
Patron Deities: Pazuzu
Your favourite Demon?: Pazuzu
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

Anatel wrote:Transitioning: Christianity to Satanism : this can also include anyone from any Spiritual/RHP based path who turns to the LHP path

Often times we come across seekers who are still in the Christian paradigm, "struggling with Christian programming", or have not long left it and are what I refer to as the "Angry Christian" stage. Im not putting the last two in any particular order as it varies from individual to individual.

The "Struggling with Christian Programming" stage is perhaps the toughest. This is the stage where you have basically broken free from the Christian paradigm and may feel drawn to the darker side of things like demons, however that deeply ingrained from childhood programming literally SCREAMS out to you that this is a bad bad very bad thing! Repent! Repent you sinnerrrrr! You're going to go to hell! You are inviting terror and destruction into your life! What if that Demon possesses you? This is the most difficult as you are still struggling with the yokes of the past which are holding you back from the progress of the future. Its completely natural to go through this stage and it WILL pass. I can't tell you how long it will take. I cant tell you what will finally trigger that release of the bungee cords that keep you bouncing back and forth with your inner programming. But I can tell you, it does happen.

I dont come from a background of generations of Occultists. I haven't inherited special powers from ancestors. My grandfather was a Baptist Minister and as such, the rest of my family followed his teachings. Everything I do you better believe I've earned through literal blood, sweat, and tears. My personal grimoires/notebooks come from me and what I've been taught- not from an undiscovered treasure trove in my grandma's attic. I have one aunt on my grandmother's side who was Luciferian. I never got to know her, nor did i inherit any superpowers or spirits from her. Unfortunately, she was excommunicated from my family.

My family, to this day, are not accepting of my path. That being said, they don't know the true scope either. If they did, I am certain, like my great aunt, i would be forever shunned. This is the burden of having a largely Christian family. Many of you have this issue. My advice is this: read, seek your own truth. Don't be showy about it. Keep your head down, find whats right for you and just smile through the family functions. If you have to bow your head to pray, go through the motions but do it to YOUR Gods- or even yourself. On YOUR terms. They don't need to know you aren't praying to their God. And if you have to go to a family function that requires you to go to church to keep appearances (ie weddings, funerals, etc), I promise you now, your head will not start spinning and you won't start spewing green bile. Not that I recommend it because it is quite annoying, but you won't burst into flames. Sometimes we have to do things we don't necessarily want to to keep the peace. Your companions and DLs will not desert you (though don't expect them to go with you).

For me personally, I didn't make the transition from Christianity straight to the LHP. I studied theology for a few years, though not formally. Anatel style- which essentially meant that I asked myself some hard questions, read everything i could get my hands on and researched various religions to find out what they thought and how their perspectives varied from Christianity. I also studied the "Lost Books" , i studied the origins of the bible, why it was produced, who wrote them, who were those books, included and "lost", originally intended for? Do they apply today? Are they literal, letters TO someone, or allegorical? At the end of it, I came out of my study believing in nothing. Literally nothing. I felt betrayed, brainwashed, controlled and let down. I shunned any religious paradigm for a few years. I should point out that neither "God" nor "Jesus" bothered to show up to tell me to just hang on, that I'd been utterly faithful my entire life until that point and that I wasn't wrong. No Angels heroically appeared in white linens surrounded by blinding white light with trumpets in the background telling me to keep the faith. No. It was radio silence. As it had been my entire life with that paradigm. I walked away with a clear conscience, that for me personally, it was all bullshit.

Yet.. here we are, humans. We have this inane desire to believe in something bigger, something more important than ourselves. We LIKE the thought of some Divine beings out there pulling the strings of the world like a master puppeteer. I guess that's why magick appealed to me. It put the power of science and the unknown into my hands. I have always been drawn to it. It was always forbidden in my house. It was "of the devuuuul". Even tarot cards would earn me a rightful place burning in the pits of hell for eternity. But I didn't believe in that anymore. So with a pounding heart and a grin on my face, I purchased Scott Cunningham's "What is Witchcraft?" and my very first Rider Waite Tarot Deck. Gods I felt so rebellious! LOL So deliciously naughty. But then.... i read the book. I touched the cards. My life forever changed. I wasn't being naughty or rebellious. I was empowering myself. I was doing what I was always drawn to. The last of the yokes that bound me to a misogynistic, monotheistic, dis-empowering, sheeple mentality paradigm.. finally broke free. Never to return. I began to believe again... In myself, in the spirit world, in forces greater than us that perhaps HAD no definition... maybe they didn't need it. They just WERE.

So... from an ex christian to now (relatively haha) balanced Satanist for those of you out there going through the very struggles I did, my advice (that and $5 will get you a coffee ;) ) is this:

1) Ask questions. Question EVERYTHING. We are ingrained to just accept accept accept whatever we are told. THIS is your time , your chance to question every single thing you've ever been told to believe. If the explanations you get through talking to someone or your own hard book research doesn't net you the answers that resonate with you, ask more. Look in every direction. Branch out. The world is full of information. Find it.

2) Do not start working right away with demons. Demons will mirror you in many ways. If you are brought up believing they are nasty beasts here to devour our souls, even if you don't fully think that now, your fears will be mirrored in a Demon. Not to scare you but , lessons and all that. WAIT until you are free of those yokes and you can see a Demon for what it is- A divine being that holds great wisdom. If you try to jump too quickly this can lead to many problems including depression, energy depletion, etc. Give yourself time , there's no race here. Wait until you understand the true nature of the Dark Lords, what they offer and most importantly HOW they teach before you go summoning them to test your metal.

3) TAKE YOUR TIME. Don't rush yourself to believe something or switch to Satanism. Forcing will only disturb your natural process of digesting the information you are learning. This could distort things for you and send you in the "too dark too soon" or "Angry Christian" mode (i'll talk about this in another article). Remember this: You do NOT have to believe in ANYTHING if you don't want to! This is YOUR life, YOUR path and don't let anyone tell you any different. Again, time is key. Allow yourself the luxury of exploring whatever the hell you want, including many different religions. Find your truth. You may just find its a mix of everything!

4)Don't let your fear rule you. We have been taught from very early so many deeply ingrained fear tactics to control us- "You'll go to hell if you do this!" "Your soul will face eternal damnation if you...." blah blah blah... ad nauseum. I can tell you all day long "Hell" in the Christian sense is an allegory to keep us in line , however that's something you need to find and believe for yourself. When something scares you and you know its been ingrained in you, talk to someone who's been there. Ask how they got over it. Work through it, face it, and defeat it.

5) Conversely, don't be that idiot that goes all in plunging head first into your perception of "darkness". Learn first what exactly darkness is. Don't go by the emo goth kids stereotypes of soul selling, sacrificing, calling upon "Satan's minions" to do your dirty work. At best you'll look like an asshole to the DL's and your friends. At worst, you'll attract a sludge that will literally eat your energy until there is nothing left of you. Think of how self satisfied those Christians in your life will be when that happens. You've just proven every damn thing they ever said right.

6) Don't spout off to "muggles" that you're now so dark super darrrrk darker than darrrrrrrk darkkkkk.... They wont get it and will probably judge you as a crackpot, weirdo, or at best, someone to steer well clear of. You have nothing to prove to anyone but yourself. Silence is golden- even Satan says that. One of my favorite Satanic quotes is this one

“The real satanist is not quite so easily recognized as such”
― Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

I can assure you right now anyone who sees me in RL would not know for one second I'm a Satanist- based on their own misconceptions of what a Satanist actually is. I bake cupcakes for my daughters school functions. I help with bake sales. I attend PTA meetings. I help with charity food drives. I love to wear bright colors, flowery girly patterns, I smile and say hello to everyone i know and can often be seen chatting away in the mornings with the crossing guard, who is also a good friend of mine. You do NOT have to advertise it! Unless ... ya know.. you need the attention, in which case I would say that you should perhaps look into that. I don't hide who or what I am, but i just do not advertise it and I don't have anything to prove to myself or others. I don't need to stand out physically from the crowd. I like being "invisible" ;)

I know there are others, like me, who have made this transition successfully. Feel free to share with us your ways of cutting ties with , or coming to terms with, not just Christianity, but ANY RHP based religion. For those of you who successfully incorporate the two, please feel free to share that also!
It's great to find your story because I'm going through it and your story and tips contribute a lot to growth, reading your story and knowing that there are more people who have already gone through this shows that we are not few, Christian programming is devastating.
Thank you very much.
"Beware of getting rid of your demons, you may be getting rid of your best part"
"Be obedient to the spirits, that they will be obedient to you"
Lou Cypher

Hi Preston, I was raised in a Christian home, went thru some traumatizing experiences that left me nowhere to turn but my beliefs. I started studying the bible like a fiend & Judaism to know the roots. That's when I started seeing the inconsistencies & contradictions. My transition has been slow, over 10 yrs. I don't view Daemons as evil, the ones I have invoked felt familiar as if I should already know them.
Oceanos
Patron Deities: Tiamat, Lucifer, Danu
Number of Demon Familiars: 4

Anatel wrote:Transitioning: Christianity to Satanism : this can also include anyone from any Spiritual/RHP based path who turns to the LHP path

Often times we come across seekers who are still in the Christian paradigm, "struggling with Christian programming", or have not long left it and are what I refer to as the "Angry Christian" stage. Im not putting the last two in any particular order as it varies from individual to individual.

The "Struggling with Christian Programming" stage is perhaps the toughest. This is the stage where you have basically broken free from the Christian paradigm and may feel drawn to the darker side of things like demons, however that deeply ingrained from childhood programming literally SCREAMS out to you that this is a bad bad very bad thing! Repent! Repent you sinnerrrrr! You're going to go to hell! You are inviting terror and destruction into your life! What if that Demon possesses you? This is the most difficult as you are still struggling with the yokes of the past which are holding you back from the progress of the future. Its completely natural to go through this stage and it WILL pass. I can't tell you how long it will take. I cant tell you what will finally trigger that release of the bungee cords that keep you bouncing back and forth with your inner programming. But I can tell you, it does happen.

I dont come from a background of generations of Occultists. I haven't inherited special powers from ancestors. My grandfather was a Baptist Minister and as such, the rest of my family followed his teachings. Everything I do you better believe I've earned through literal blood, sweat, and tears. My personal grimoires/notebooks come from me and what I've been taught- not from an undiscovered treasure trove in my grandma's attic. I have one aunt on my grandmother's side who was Luciferian. I never got to know her, nor did i inherit any superpowers or spirits from her. Unfortunately, she was excommunicated from my family.

My family, to this day, are not accepting of my path. That being said, they don't know the true scope either. If they did, I am certain, like my great aunt, i would be forever shunned. This is the burden of having a largely Christian family. Many of you have this issue. My advice is this: read, seek your own truth. Don't be showy about it. Keep your head down, find whats right for you and just smile through the family functions. If you have to bow your head to pray, go through the motions but do it to YOUR Gods- or even yourself. On YOUR terms. They don't need to know you aren't praying to their God. And if you have to go to a family function that requires you to go to church to keep appearances (ie weddings, funerals, etc), I promise you now, your head will not start spinning and you won't start spewing green bile. Not that I recommend it because it is quite annoying, but you won't burst into flames. Sometimes we have to do things we don't necessarily want to to keep the peace. Your companions and DLs will not desert you (though don't expect them to go with you).

For me personally, I didn't make the transition from Christianity straight to the LHP. I studied theology for a few years, though not formally. Anatel style- which essentially meant that I asked myself some hard questions, read everything i could get my hands on and researched various religions to find out what they thought and how their perspectives varied from Christianity. I also studied the "Lost Books" , i studied the origins of the bible, why it was produced, who wrote them, who were those books, included and "lost", originally intended for? Do they apply today? Are they literal, letters TO someone, or allegorical? At the end of it, I came out of my study believing in nothing. Literally nothing. I felt betrayed, brainwashed, controlled and let down. I shunned any religious paradigm for a few years. I should point out that neither "God" nor "Jesus" bothered to show up to tell me to just hang on, that I'd been utterly faithful my entire life until that point and that I wasn't wrong. No Angels heroically appeared in white linens surrounded by blinding white light with trumpets in the background telling me to keep the faith. No. It was radio silence. As it had been my entire life with that paradigm. I walked away with a clear conscience, that for me personally, it was all bullshit.

Yet.. here we are, humans. We have this inane desire to believe in something bigger, something more important than ourselves. We LIKE the thought of some Divine beings out there pulling the strings of the world like a master puppeteer. I guess that's why magick appealed to me. It put the power of science and the unknown into my hands. I have always been drawn to it. It was always forbidden in my house. It was "of the devuuuul". Even tarot cards would earn me a rightful place burning in the pits of hell for eternity. But I didn't believe in that anymore. So with a pounding heart and a grin on my face, I purchased Scott Cunningham's "What is Witchcraft?" and my very first Rider Waite Tarot Deck. Gods I felt so rebellious! LOL So deliciously naughty. But then.... i read the book. I touched the cards. My life forever changed. I wasn't being naughty or rebellious. I was empowering myself. I was doing what I was always drawn to. The last of the yokes that bound me to a misogynistic, monotheistic, dis-empowering, sheeple mentality paradigm.. finally broke free. Never to return. I began to believe again... In myself, in the spirit world, in forces greater than us that perhaps HAD no definition... maybe they didn't need it. They just WERE.

So... from an ex christian to now (relatively haha) balanced Satanist for those of you out there going through the very struggles I did, my advice (that and $5 will get you a coffee ;) ) is this:

1) Ask questions. Question EVERYTHING. We are ingrained to just accept accept accept whatever we are told. THIS is your time , your chance to question every single thing you've ever been told to believe. If the explanations you get through talking to someone or your own hard book research doesn't net you the answers that resonate with you, ask more. Look in every direction. Branch out. The world is full of information. Find it.

2) Do not start working right away with demons. Demons will mirror you in many ways. If you are brought up believing they are nasty beasts here to devour our souls, even if you don't fully think that now, your fears will be mirrored in a Demon. Not to scare you but , lessons and all that. WAIT until you are free of those yokes and you can see a Demon for what it is- A divine being that holds great wisdom. If you try to jump too quickly this can lead to many problems including depression, energy depletion, etc. Give yourself time , there's no race here. Wait until you understand the true nature of the Dark Lords, what they offer and most importantly HOW they teach before you go summoning them to test your metal.

3) TAKE YOUR TIME. Don't rush yourself to believe something or switch to Satanism. Forcing will only disturb your natural process of digesting the information you are learning. This could distort things for you and send you in the "too dark too soon" or "Angry Christian" mode (i'll talk about this in another article). Remember this: You do NOT have to believe in ANYTHING if you don't want to! This is YOUR life, YOUR path and don't let anyone tell you any different. Again, time is key. Allow yourself the luxury of exploring whatever the hell you want, including many different religions. Find your truth. You may just find its a mix of everything!

4)Don't let your fear rule you. We have been taught from very early so many deeply ingrained fear tactics to control us- "You'll go to hell if you do this!" "Your soul will face eternal damnation if you...." blah blah blah... ad nauseum. I can tell you all day long "Hell" in the Christian sense is an allegory to keep us in line , however that's something you need to find and believe for yourself. When something scares you and you know its been ingrained in you, talk to someone who's been there. Ask how they got over it. Work through it, face it, and defeat it.

5) Conversely, don't be that idiot that goes all in plunging head first into your perception of "darkness". Learn first what exactly darkness is. Don't go by the emo goth kids stereotypes of soul selling, sacrificing, calling upon "Satan's minions" to do your dirty work. At best you'll look like an asshole to the DL's and your friends. At worst, you'll attract a sludge that will literally eat your energy until there is nothing left of you. Think of how self satisfied those Christians in your life will be when that happens. You've just proven every damn thing they ever said right.

6) Don't spout off to "muggles" that you're now so dark super darrrrk darker than darrrrrrrk darkkkkk.... They wont get it and will probably judge you as a crackpot, weirdo, or at best, someone to steer well clear of. You have nothing to prove to anyone but yourself. Silence is golden- even Satan says that. One of my favorite Satanic quotes is this one

“The real satanist is not quite so easily recognized as such”
― Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

I can assure you right now anyone who sees me in RL would not know for one second I'm a Satanist- based on their own misconceptions of what a Satanist actually is. I bake cupcakes for my daughters school functions. I help with bake sales. I attend PTA meetings. I help with charity food drives. I love to wear bright colors, flowery girly patterns, I smile and say hello to everyone i know and can often be seen chatting away in the mornings with the crossing guard, who is also a good friend of mine. You do NOT have to advertise it! Unless ... ya know.. you need the attention, in which case I would say that you should perhaps look into that. I don't hide who or what I am, but i just do not advertise it and I don't have anything to prove to myself or others. I don't need to stand out physically from the crowd. I like being "invisible" ;)

I know there are others, like me, who have made this transition successfully. Feel free to share with us your ways of cutting ties with , or coming to terms with, not just Christianity, but ANY RHP based religion. For those of you who successfully incorporate the two, please feel free to share that also!
Ooh lookie here, what a hidden gem of a topic, I feel this should definitely be one linked to the newly converted types who come onto the forums. It would help them understand themselves better, and how its okay to deviate from the norm, if anything its quite the freeing path to pursue in life.
Olha Pollock

user1876 wrote:
Thanks a lot Anatel for this beautiful text. You put the right words on lots of my feelings ! This is very comforting. :)
GoddessDawn
Patron Deities: Lucifer, Luithian, Belial
Your favourite Demon?: Lucifer
Number of Demon Familiars: 1

I remember the night (sometime after my dedication) that I spent hours yelling, screaming, and blaspheming the Christian Trinity. I got off my bed and felt like I no longer had a stomach, just a hole that felt repulsive and malignant. I suddenly felt what I can distinctly describe as heavy chains falling from somewhere within my body, but at the same time freaking out because I felt chains in my bodyfalling to the floor and yet seeing nothing. As for the hole, I am no longer hollow, thank you.

Namaste.

Naamah.
Let Nature proceed to make the process instinctive... -Theron Q. DuMont
Passchendaele
Patron Deities: none (yet)
Your favourite Demon?: Beelzebub, Lucifer, Lord Satan, Marquess Marchosias
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

Thank you GoddessDawn for bringing this back up. It's the first I've seen of it. It's awe-inspiring and so, so, so true on so many levels.
My first encounter with Spiritual Satanism was just a few years ago, but long after I began rummaging around in Paganism and Witchcraft. I have had more than one reader tell me that Witchcraft in not my Path. And some have said Shamanism is, I still can't make up my mind. Which is just me throwing blocks in front of myself. And doing a very good job of it to.

We will find our Path, those of us who question the validity of, basically, everything. Even the ground we walk on. The only real constant here in corporeal existence is change. Much, most of human existence is a matter of perspective. The view we take in at any given point in our lives. Life really is relative, which drives devout christians, devout anybodies, completely around the bend.
“No! There is right and wrong! Light is good, darkness is evil”

Ask them to define “evil” and they'll say “Satan and demons are pure evil!” Press a bit harder, and you don't have to press very hard at all, you will learn that anyone who does not agree with them is also “evil” Kinda like a Certain Person in Washington D.C. Nothing bad is ever his fault, and he won't waste a moment taking credit for other peoples work.

Tell them that their faith is also a matter of how they chose to view the world, that “faith” is about as permanent as a soap bubble, and they will puff up, point a finger at you and tell you that you are hopelessly lost. Right before they blindfold themselves and continue down their path, screaming “Satan did that to me” every time they trip over something.

It would be laughable if it weren't so sad. But, that is their choice. That is all they ever had, it's all we really have while we are in The World, the ability to choose. No ones Path is ever chosen for them. It just doesn't work that way
"Push something hard enough...and it will fall over."
Fudds First Law Of Opposition

“All art that is not mere storytelling or mere portraiture is symbolic...If you liberate a person or a landscape from the bonds of motives and their actions, causes and their effects...it will change under your eyes, and become a symbol of infinite emotion, a perfected emotion, a part of the Dark Divine Essence.”

William Butler Yeats

(The italicized word “dark” is my addition.)
User3246
Patron Deities: Papa Legba, Shiva, Odin
Your favourite Demon?: Samael , Lord Uphir, Lord Asmodeus, Lord Satan, Lord Mammon, Lord Azazel
Number of Demon Familiars: 17

The only 'rule' I have ever learned about Satanism, or any religion, really, is that there ARE NO RULES! I have seen some people do the "Ooo! I am SO dark and nasty!" and make that work, and people who do and say everything right, with such wisdom and magick, and they just fail, eventually going back into the mainstream religions and losing their initial passion. On the whole, I have found that Satanism suits me. My Demons are not going to stop me if I want to return to Christianity, though. I have to constantly remind myself that they will not push anything on me, even helpful things, and I have to ASK them for their help or even their opinion. I make my own mistakes. I make a lot! I have seen people crash and burn in Satanism, because they did not do their shadow work, and their own inner beliefs and experiences just eat them alive. One of the greatest lessons I have to learn from Demons is "Love yourself." Yes. Love! Not a very Demonish subject, right? Also "Remember to laugh." is another good one. Along with "Everyone screws up." You will, too. So have compassion for someone you see who is doing that. Let them have the space they need to realize that without giving up on them, or fixing it for them. We all make mistakes. My relationship with Demons reminds me of that quote from Chris Tucker in "Rush Hour" He said " No, no, no, you put your own shit in the back of the car! I'm not a skycap!" Our demons are NOT our servants. We take care of our own shit. Yes. XD
“If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.” – Jim Rohn

"The Master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Do not rely on ANYTHING, unexamined. If It does not seem to fit, ask about it. If it ultimately degrades or dishonors or holds you back, it is bad for you, so remove it from your life. If it takes from you and never gives back, it is a leech. Discard it. In magick rely only on your own work: What you have seen and done and used for your own self and in your own way. Only keep what in your own estimation is worth keeping. (Hellcat's Rules Of Satanic Magick)"

Don't get too close. It's Dark inside. It's where my Demons hide!

Hailing Satan isn't a hobby, its a lifestyle. (S@tan)
Minerva418

:hug: Omggg there's so much love here! I just really wish all their lying and fear breeding would end. I just don't get it, what does that achieve? Why would you teach a community that you love so much how to fear and hate? I'm kinda saddened by the fact that a resolution to this problem won't be seen by me in this lifetime... :frowndevil:
Zonk01
Patron Deities: Leviathan
Your favourite Demon?: Lucifer, Leviathan, Agares
Number of Demon Familiars: 19

Thank you for posting! When I was first transitioning out, I dealt with a lot of what you were talking about. Going against the flow correctly isn’t about lashing out totally against it, it’s about being the better person. Rebellion has its place, but total rebellion is not the answer.

We have to accept that being LHP is normal, but different from the paths others are on.

I relate fully to not inheriting anything, and starting from the ground up. It’s what I did. I share the same tears, blood, and all this in the face of having to live a double life in front of family and friends. I’ve had to make peace with all the things I can’t control, I’ve had to make peace with the fact that ignorance is causing my emotional split between my family and I. It’s spiritually one of the toughest things I can think of, but if it wasn’t this way, I wouldn’t have learned so much about people and life this early on in my life. I wouldn’t have learned anything, or be able to empathize with people who grew up in a situation like this. But there is a beauty in starting from the ground up. Every little victory is beautiful. Every success, no matter how small, is unbelievably foufilling.

Looking back, I remember vividly all of the spiritual events that changed my life, like the first time I talked with Lucifer. Or the time where I first actually heard words and sounds. I still feel giddy when I experience amazing events, and I KNOW that it was real! It still is beyond amazing to me. My spiritual growth and experiences are pure joy to me, and I know for sure that can not be taken from me, no matter how hard someone tries.

I just hope that your words reach the right eyes at the right time. Going back, if I had heard all of this, I would have been able to save a year of my life, and not waste it trying to be someone who wasn’t me. But this is just hypothetical talk. Sometimes we just need to live it to actually grow. Overall wonderful article, very spot on and accurate!
“I summon the one with the horns and the fire
as I throw myself right into the dark. I open the doors to the other side,
where everything is so old
I'm leaving this world and I enter the void
where the shadows forever reign.”
- “Where the Shadows Forever Reign” by Dark Funeral

Return to “Starting out on the LHP and the Dark Spiritual Paths”