Question on Spirit Keeping

Questions and Answers for where to begin on the Darker Spiritual Paths.

Moderator: Akelta

Alys-RaccoonReadings
Patron Deities: Aset, Demeter

Nyctophilia Raven wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:03 pm
So, here at S&S, we don't call this "spirit keeping." Language matters, and because words come pre-loaded with all kinds of attachments, layers and sublayers of meaning, choosing the right words for a thing becomes vital. Spirit keepers easily become spirit collectors. Spirit keepers also easily become spirit slave drivers. Here at S&S, we don't use the terms spirit keeping at all... we use the term demon companion. Admittedly, that doesn't work for anyone who's not a demon, but... I have... two harpies, an incubus, a vampire, two wraiths, and a multitude of temple Fu... and I call all of them companions, as well. It reminds me of the relationship I'm choosing to have with them. Keeping is... too close to bondage. I say all this just so you understand the language changes that have occurred here - this is not a criticism, just an explanation, with the reasoning behind it.
I dislike the "keeping" terminology for the same reasons and gravitate more towards "companionship" verbiage. I do default back to "keeping" sometimes because it's so prevalent, but it gives me a squidge. And I like the mindful respect that using words like "companion" pull up and out for me. There is something that feels commoditizing and de-personalizing about saying things like "my keep," and I think that terminology has a cumulative effect that is probably not positive.

Of course, using language like this doesn't condemn anyone to the bad apple barrel in my brain, but I appreciate seeing conversations about this aspect of how we talk about our companionships, partnerships, friendships, and chosen family. It added a nice note to my day. Thanks, NR! :)
VioletShirokuma
Number of Demon Familiars: 15

Just wanted to say NyctophiliaRaven, Vipera, and Alys commentary on the spirit keeping terminology was helpful. I feel very averse to calling myself a spirit "keeper" (but not against anyone who uses it, I'm not them) and also using the word keep is something I don't use anymore, in fact my opinion mostly aligns with Alys ....but the perspectives shared here was very very helpful and I've been grappling with it awhile. Even though OP was asking about demon companions and working with them, the discussion I think is important.
SerenitySpells
Patron Deities: Hades, Haagenti, Oriax, Morrigan,
Your favourite Demon?: King Paimon, Buer, Haagenti and Oriax
Number of Demon Familiars: 3

This has opened a very interesting debate on the nature of language itself. I would say from my perspective and how I was raised (as I think personally that that is important in tone and application), that the terminology "Spirit Keeping" sounds more like being an antique dealer or collector. Reminds me of my mum who adores a very specific china from Holland and will go out of her way to buy it and put it on display. Now she adores and loves this china and takes great care of it as it is precious to her. So I do not see it in terms of enslavement or entrapment.

However as I say to mum its all very well collecting and keeping this china but it just sits there and you do not use it.

She "keeps it".

For me I have some very very old 100 year plus china from Imperial Japan which I still drink tea out of now and again. I interact with this tea set and have bonded with it and its history and everyone in the family knows how special the set is, loves it and sees it as family. We feel a sense of pride and soul happiness in using and holding it. imaging who had used it before and the journeys it must have been on and what it must have seen etc.

I do not just "keep" the tea set but am a Guardian and protector of it.

So I do not necessarily see the term "Spirit Keeping" as negative, the persons intent behind the words not the words its self is what makes something negative.

However I personally use the terms "family" and "companion". Before anyone jumps down my throat and says they are not your family they have families of their own etc, again this is just coloquism and a play on words. I am sure that many or you like myself all had the extended "Aunties" who lived down the road and were your mum's friends. We al know they are not our real aunty but you spend so much time with them that a bond has been created and they treat you like family - including telling you off the required, supporting you when you need it etc etc
:witch:

“One cannot step twice in the same river” – Heraclitus

“The unexamined life is not worth living” – Socrates
Antipodean
Your favourite Demon?: Agares
Number of Demon Familiars: 3

Nyctophilia Raven wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:03 pm
...Language matters, and because words come pre-loaded with all kinds of attachments...Spirit keepers easily become spirit collectors. Spirit keepers also easily become spirit slave drivers. Here at S&S, we don't use the terms spirit keeping at all...Keeping is too close to bondage. I say all this..just an explanation, with the reasoning behind it.
Thanks for that explanation. That is really good to read and resolves some concerns of mine. :)

The 'domination, commanding, constraining' strategies of another time do not make sense to me. As does 'keeping' something as ageless, powerful and immortal in a 'man-made' (human-made?) container.

Place and purpose make sense, as in my alter is a place to connect with the Demonic, even though connection with them can happen anywhere they darn well want it to happen. :)

Appreciate your clarification.
Thalam

I use the term spirit companionship too. When translated; keeping is really not a word I’d use for my companions who are like mentors, guides, and friends to me.

Lycana
Patron Deities: Lucifer, Diana, Belial, Naamah, Sobek, Juno, Hethert etc
Your favourite Demon?: arachne, spectral, hellborn, void, mutilation. serpentine and tempest

I’ve found it varies with my own companions. Like I can feel my busier companions like my king U frequently for brief amounts of time like check ins whereas my alchemist enjoys spending more time here.
Lycana
Patron Deities: Lucifer, Diana, Belial, Naamah, Sobek, Juno, Hethert etc
Your favourite Demon?: arachne, spectral, hellborn, void, mutilation. serpentine and tempest

Sengdroma wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:17 pm

However I personally use the terms "family" and "companion". Before anyone jumps down my throat and says they are not your family they have families of their own etc, again this is just coloquism and a play on words. I am sure that many or you like myself all had the extended "Aunties" who lived down the road and were your mum's friends. We al know they are not our real aunty but you spend so much time with them that a bond has been created and they treat you like family - including telling you off the required, supporting you when you need it etc etc
I use different terms depending on what spirits I’m referring to. There are those who fall into family category. Others are companions. I even have a few I call guards. It all depends on who exactly I’m talking about.
I generally don’t consider a spirit family unless there is a close enough personal relationship and then are agreeable to being considered as such.

Return to “Starting out on the LHP and the Dark Spiritual Paths”