A Short Q&A About Conjuring Terminology

Share your stories and experiences you have had with the paranormal and the metaphysical.
User1265455
Patron Deities: Paimon, Asmoday, Leviathan, Azazel, Amducius
Your favourite Demon?: Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 12

What are the definitions for the following – Conjuring, Binding, Attachments?

Well, first off, obviously, conjuring and binding are two totally different things – although you cannot really have a binding that isn’t conjured, if you’re talking entities or spirits.

Conjuring, essentially, is a ritual of sorts where the conjurer positions themselves somehow at an in-between space and CALLS… and spirits or entities of their desired type come to them (hopefully – they might not come, or the conjurer might get the wrong species or be tricked – this is where training and sharp wits come in), and then the conjurer pulls them through in some manner to this realm, to a specific location, for a specific purpose. Whether a conjurer negotiates with an entity or spirit prior to bringing them here, or once they are here, depends on their process (their ritual) and what kind of work they have planned for the entity or spirit. I generally like to settle contract details before I pull them through, but there are other styles of conjuration where you pull them through and then settle the details, and if you can’t settle on anything, then you dismiss them and try again.

Binding, on the other hand, is where you actually magickally suck an image/feeling/taste/whatever of the essence of a spell or spirit into a vessel, thus creating a bond between the object or person, and the entity, spirit, or spell. This object then begins to radiate the energy of that essence, which allows the keeper of the object to more easily tune into the spirit, entity, or spell, and allows for auric adaptation to that energy. In other words, the binding draws energy to itself, alters the energy to mimic that which it represents, and pours it back into the keeper.

So, ok, what’s an attachment, then?

Attachment is where the entity or spirit is the one who creates the bond… the bond is not as sound, it’s not as strong, and the flow of communication isn’t as vibrant. An attachment can be broken, whereas a binding is often based, at least with spirits and entities, on contracts that cannot be broken except when specific conditions are met… Binding is like creating two phones that can only call each other. Everyone can have lots of phones, if they like, but each “line” is to only one pairing. Attachment, on the other hand, happens all the time… everytime you touch something, you exchange a bit of your energy with that object, but you don’t ever have to think about it ever again… essentially, the energy exchange is much less meaningful than a binding exchange – anyone can attach to anything, and just as easily detach from anything, at any time. Binding, because of contracts and because of purposeful essence mimicry and exchange, is far more deeply wedded, and thus more permanent and well.. binding. ;)

Does conjuring require a specific portal for each spirit or entity?

Yes and no – when I conjure anything but the cecaelia, I often get multiples showing up and need to wade through them all and decide which I keep and which I don’t… but it’s like a portal for one because my portal to conjure through is specific at the time of conjure to that KIND of entity – however, I do not have to open a new portal for every single entity of that type. I DO have to close a portal and open a new one to get a different kind of entity.

So what’s the deal with unbound spirits and entities?

Unbounds are, in a sense, just visiting. They randomly float through on various planes, sometimes using portals, sometimes staying on their own layer – but as a person adapts to sensing the unseen worlds around them, they become more and more aware of those other layers and the amount of travel going on.

Can an unbound be bound without being conjured?

Conjuration actually pulls an entity or spirit through to this layer temporarily, specifically for a purpose… in this case, to create a contract spell that allows the spirit or entity a stronger connection to this plane through two possible mediums… a relationship with a human, and/or a vessel that they can draw energy from to maintain that presence. Because binding uses essences imprinted onto a vessel, and that process is a form of conjuration, it isn’t possible to bind without there being a kind of conjuration going on.

Does that mean that when I use a spelled tool that binds for me, I’m conjuring?

Well, yes and no. Technically speaking, conjuration is occurring, but also technically speaking, you’re not the conjurer, because you aren’t the one who’s actually in charge of the process – you’re using a tool because you don’t know how to do it properly on your own. That means that while you are conjuring, you are not, per se, a conjurer.

Why use vessels? I mean, even using people as vessels – if the energy is always there, why bother?

Honestly? It’s purely convenience and psychological assistance.

It’s quite true that a vessel with a binding on it is not the spell or spirit or entity, nor is it the home of the spirit, spell, or entity… but it IS a marker – a useful place for energy to collect in a certain manner and then be forwarded to both ends of the bonded – spirit/spell/entity, and keeper. In other words, vessels are also an easy method of holding, in order to empower, either the effects of a spell, or an image of a contract and the essence of the being under contract, and thus they are the “phone.” With spirits or entities specifically, the contract exists, the vessel is a representation of the existing contract… however, a vessel is not necessary for the contract to exist – it’s merely a convenient place for energy to collect and be channeled to both the spirit/entity/spell and the keeper. Vessels are also a constant reminder of those energy patterns – they are a physical representation of a keeper’s relationship with the spirit, entity, or spell.

Why do I keep having to recharge my vessels if the spirits or entities aren’t in them? Why are there charging spells?

The reason you keep having to recharge your bindings is because you’re actually charging the contract spell that allows the spirit or entity to draw on enough energy to be more… “here” than “there.” The more a spell's energy is drawn on, and the more powerful the pull on those energies, the more frequently an item must be charged. A charging spell, bound to the spells on a vessel, charges itself and any other spells, which means you no longer have to charge it - it instead charges itself.

So, can a binding ever get low enough on energy that the contract is void?

No, a binding cannot ever get low enough on energy for the contract to become void. The contract is based on a timeframe… usually one agreed on between the conjurer and the entity or spirit, and the symbol of it, and the spell of it, fading, does not negate the contract itself. Contracts are usually until either the death of the keeper, or until the spirit/entity and keeper BOTH agree to an alteration of the contract.

The spell might fade from your awareness and experiences may dry up, but once a spell is laid into an object, no matter how fizzled out the spell becomes, it’s still there. Until it breaks according to the rules of the contract, the spell will remain. Once the spell breaks, that’s a different story… Charging helps refresh the spell to give the spirit or entity more vital force to be present with… it doesn’t have any actual effect or lack of effect on the contract.
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series
Galadraal
Number of Demon Familiars: 10

Thank you for the very useful and interesting information on the subject (I didn't see the thank you button)
lawyerguy2013
Number of Demon Familiars: 15

The Creepy Hollows website discusses binding and bridging. I haven't seen the term "bridging" mention at here at S&S. Is bridging something unique to Creepy Hollows or do other conjurers do that as well?
Akelta
Goddess of the Void
Patron Deities: Satan, Lucifer, Mammon, Azazel, Andras, Paimon, Leviathan, Unsere, The Family
Your favourite Demon?: Tiger, High Prince H, Bear, Oblivion, Quasar, Prince V, Venom, Cadaver, My Family
Number of Demon Familiars: 66

Though the basics of binding are similar, we sometimes have different terminologies and there are different variations and techniques to binding which vary from conjurer to conjurer.

For the demons we conjure here, I craft the bindings from their own energy frequency and allow them flexibility to move around and interact with us even when we are away from their vessel. They have no problem coming to us even from a distance, which is what Creepy Hollows bridging also allows for I beleive. My Son of Satan prince V's vessel is actually in a safety deposit box, yet I interact with him daily.

The bonding ritual that we send out with all the demons actually is designed to create a link between demon and human companion so they have a strong connection and it helps getting to know eac other and finding the best way to communicate.
Lover of Demons
Royal Demon Goddess
Darling of Sublime Romance
Daughter of Demonic Macabre

Walk with Satan in Shadow
Rise with Azazel in Potential
Dance with Lucifer Under the Moon
Kneel before Mammon's Throne
lawyerguy2013
Number of Demon Familiars: 15

Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know.
User1265455

Resurrecting a dead horse.

I've never understood why "Bridging" is at all necessary. I mean, when I conjure and bind, I bind the contract, the entity, and the supporting energies, to the vessel, but in the same space, I also do all that to the person I'm binding the entity for...

Why on earth would you ONLY bind to a vessel, and not to the person you're under contract to conjure and bind for? It's... just a weird way to do things. I want to say sloppy, but, it's not that, really, so much as adding an unnecessary step.

*puzzled Raven*
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
Nefer
Your favourite Demon?: I have a few
Number of Demon Familiars: 4

I have a question. Suppose you have a companion and you both agree it would be best for them to leave your keep and go to your friends keep. Your friend can be helped more from them. Does that void the original contract from the conjurer? Does that mean the vessel must be charged now, when it used to not have to be?
The power of the universe lies within. "Those who don't believe in magic will never find it" ~Roald Dahl
User4445

Akelta wrote:Though the basics of binding are similar, we sometimes have different terminologies and there are different variations and techniques to binding which vary from conjurer to conjurer.

For the demons we conjure here, I craft the bindings from their own energy frequency and allow them flexibility to move around and interact with us even when we are away from their vessel. They have no problem coming to us even from a distance, which is what Creepy Hollows bridging also allows for I beleive. My Son of Satan prince V's vessel is actually in a safety deposit box, yet I interact with him daily.

The bonding ritual that we send out with all the demons actually is designed to create a link between demon and human companion so they have a strong connection and it helps getting to know eac other and finding the best way to communicate.
:devilthumbs: in a safety deposit box. It must be solid gold with glitter.
User1265455

So, I know this is from over 6mo ago, but it was never answered, so I thought I'd take a swing at it.
Nefer wrote:I have a question. Suppose you have a companion and you both agree it would be best for them to leave your keep and go to your friends keep. Your friend can be helped more from them. Does that void the original contract from the conjurer? Does that mean the vessel must be charged now, when it used to not have to be?
So, most conjurers have a clause in their contracts that says, essentially, that if through mutual agreement, the spirit or entity will be passed to another, that the contract will remain in effect, but that the new person will be the keeper. Most contracts, even those that specify you and the entity/spirit by name, will have a clause allowing you both, in agreement, to either dissolve the bond, or pass the bond to another, if all three of you agree.

However, just to feel more comfortable with the passing of beings, I always formally pass them on. "So and so, this is ___, your new keeper as we have all agreed. ____ please greet SoandSo. May your new relationship with each other be ever joyful. I release SoandSo, and all bonds and spells that bind us." ____ then says "Hello, SoandSo, I am ___, your new keeper as we have agreed. I accept all the bonds and spells that bind us, and pledge myself to this responsibility."

But that's what _I_ do... I don't think it really has to be that formal... it just has to be backed by INTENT.

-Raven

Return to “Paranormal Experiences, Supernatural Events, and Metaphysical Phenomenon”