Astral Projection: Tips, Tricks and Methodology

Astral Projection, Lucid Dreaming, OBE's, and other forms of Spiritual Travel discussed here.
Riael
Patron Deities: None at this time.
Your favourite Demon?: Marbas
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

There isn't very much information on astral projection on or around the forums and I thought I'd try to start a thread where everyone can give suggestions, tips, tricks and provide their own personal methodologies for successful astral projection. Not everyone is wired the same or views the world the same so not all methods will work for everyone. Also this is a good place to put any observations about your experiences or observations about the methods contained herein.

The most success that I've had in astral projection was approximately ten years ago while living in Bend, OR. At the time I had stumbled across something on the internet outlining astral projection and I got right onto studying it. I began practicing visualization every day for at least 30-45 minutes. Typically in 10-15 minute blocks throughout the day. When I say visualization; I mean visualizing as if I could see and also bringing in other senses as part of the experience. But it's not just that simple. It was very difficult at first but after the first week it became easier and easier.. much like exercising your physical body. For example: I could imagine getting up from my desk at work, getting in my car and going to the grocery store. But I would make an effort to clearly see everything I would normally see on my path out to my car. I would make an effort to FEEL everything that I would feel while on my way to my car such as the air in my face, my hand on the doorhandle opening each door at work, smelling the mildew smell from that weird spot on the carpet in the call center, hearing the roar of the call center around me... walking down the hallway I can hear my footsteps echoing down the hollow corridor. Exiting the building I can smell the fresh, central oregon air. I can feel the cheap plastic doorhandle of the car and hear the *clap* of the door as it closes. I can feel the seatbelt buckle in my hand as I pull my seatbelt over by body and click it into it's locked position and I can feel the pressure of the seatbelt pressing against my chest. I start the car.. hearing clearly the starter turn the motor over and the cyclinder's in the motor fire to life. I let the car idle a moment as I normally do to let oil circulate and it's off to the grocery store...

But the visualization was in the finer details of the journey. Most importantly... the touch.. the smell.. the hearing.. the seeing. I practiced this with dedication for about a week... maybe a week and a half or so before one night as I was laying in bed (without trying mind you ) I simply slipped right out of my body and suddenly I was floating along the top of my ceiling in my room... staring down at myself. I had read accounts of this before but never thought that *I* would be the one to experience it! I could still 'feel' my physical body and yet I was also aware and could 'feel' my astral? etheric? body as well. I began trying to float away and go explore.. but every inch I moved.. I could feel a pain develop in my physical body. As I moved further and further away the pain.. which felt far away... could still be felt in my current state. I kept trying to fight it... but the pain became so bad that I was pulled back into my physical body. I "awoke" in the same instant in my physical body... and I was completely consumed by pain in every muscle of my body. I laid back down... relaxed... and tried again... I popped right back out within a few moments but the pain was just as bad as before... and I was forced to return within about 10 seconds. This was the first... and last time I astral projected.

Now I don't wish to alarm you. I've NEVER seen anyone else describe any sort of pain during any projection experience. The only MENTION of it I've ever read was in Ophiel's "The Art and Practice of Astral Projection" but it quite literally reads, ' .. now among a few select few individuals have reported physical pain when attempting to project. Now if you run into this duly get me your contact information and I will gladly pass it long to Mr. Fox ( whoever that is? ) " . Unfortunately Ophiel died in 1984 so I believe this 'Mr. Fox' will be nigh impossible to find.

Another notable thing during this time was that I was training especially hard every day physically. I would spend about 2-3 hours each day lifting weights and an additional 1-2 hours each day running. I'm not sure if this had any part to play in my quick ( but shortlived ) success or if it is irrelevent.

Best regards,

R
DoubleD
Patron Deities: Aranunna, Marduk, Anubis, Horus
Your favourite Demon?: Still Learning This

Great post R, great post and such perfect timing. I just bought the book I think you recommended? It showed up yesterday so going to get started.

I love that you started this thread and that you are getting us talking about it...
Riael

DoubleD wrote:Great post R, great post and such perfect timing. I just bought the book I think you recommended? It showed up yesterday so going to get started.

I love that you started this thread and that you are getting us talking about it...
As luck would have it I also received my new copy yesterday. Oh and before you get started... or if you already have. Get a notebook and a pen... and write down notes as you go outlining what he's telling you. He doesn't organize that very well and it's helpful to do that the first time so you don't have to read back through over and over again.
Eilana
Lady of Monsters
Your favourite Demon?: Ombre, Mammon, Swallowtail, Sizzle, Elegy
Number of Demon Familiars: 69

I've felt pain during astral projection but it was in different instances, it wasn't from just leaving my body and separating, but rather I was in an uncomfortable position or something happened in the environment (whether where my physical body was or astrally) and it snapped me back.

I'm really interested to hear more of your experiences and more details on the pain. I see you said that you never tried again, do you think you might? I'm wondering if something was there interfering ... I have astral projected a lot and had some weird experiences in terms of senses and things occurring. Too many to name really as I have been doing it for years now and I don't remember every single instance. I'm able to get out very quickly, without issue and travel around whether in this plane or others.

Thank you for sharing this, I find it fascinating. I'm currently working on astral projection with time shifts. Also moving my mind into different states of consciousness while my body is still functional and moving physically (not just laying somewhere in a disconnected state). I play around a lot with the different states of consciousness and disconnecting from my body. So I do find this very interesting ...
:death: :death: :death:

~ Burn the ships to take the island. ~

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Riael

Eilana wrote: I'm really interested to hear more of your experiences and more details on the pain. I see you said that you never tried again, do you think you might?
I have been trying for quite some time now but I haven't had nearly the same results as before. Admittedly I am much more distracted these days with wife, kids and 9-5 job so I believe that has made it more difficult to find time to practice visualization as much as I was before.

In regard to the pain: it began in my calf muscles in my physical body.. I could feel it while out of body. I could 'feel' it but it seemed like a distant pain like it was far away. Almost dulled. As time went on however the pain spread through each muscle in my body. The pain itself was exactly like a 'Charlie horse' or a cramp that occurs in the calf muscle. However in this case it spread to each and every muscle fiber in my body. As a result my muscles were sore for a good 2 days after the experience. I was lifting weights a lot at the time but it was nothing like muscle soreness from working out. As far as I could tell ( I was 100% lucid, as much as in the physical plane ) I could see no other entities around me when I was out of body. After that experience I quit.. and all notions of trying again were discarded until the last year or so. I regret my backsliding all that time ago. I truly do. Now I see astral projection as a life goal... despite any pain, attacks or problems I may run into while trying to reach that goal.
Riael

Eilana; one little gem I've always wanted to try when I become successful at AP... it's hard to describe to please bear with me. The theory is... that with your astral body you can lay in or "become one" with say another person. You can "match" their frequency and enter their body, and in turn experience things as through their eyes and also supposedly read their thoughts and examine their memories. I've only seen it mentioned once by one person on an obscure forum... but let me know if you have any success!

Also I'll post more later about this.. I have a couple of books with all my magick/AP/occult notes at my friends house ( safe keeping ) that I need to pick up. Wife and I were going through a really bad spat and she's... destructive so... those were the very first things that were secured away for safe keeping. I could give a *F* less about my video game consoles, computers, TVs etc... what I really care about is my spellbooks and my notebooks on the occult lol.
DoubleD

Riael wrote:
DoubleD wrote:Great post R, great post and such perfect timing. I just bought the book I think you recommended? It showed up yesterday so going to get started.

As luck would have it I also received my new copy yesterday. Oh and before you get started... or if you already have. Get a notebook and a pen... and write down notes as you go outlining what he's telling you. He doesn't organize that very well and it's helpful to do that the first time so you don't have to read back through over and over again.
Great tip R, I use flash cards, (does that show my age or what) so will make sure I have them and a pencil ready, great advice.

I have only had one real AP and several half sleep ones where i woke up feeling like I was floating above myself, awake but not. It remind me of what it might feel like to walk through quicksand, slow and odd. I floated today and I could tell I was close, my arms and body felt strange, heavy yet light, there yet not. I kept jerking myself awake or out of it. I am not frustrated since I haven't even started, but it was a good float. Sometimes I just bounce on the walls and think about work. Today that wasn't the case.

I look forward to having someone to walk this skill with and I look forward to your advice and shares.
DoubleD

Riael wrote:Eilana; one little gem I've always wanted to try when I become successful at AP... it's hard to describe to please bear with me. The theory is... that with your astral body you can lay in or "become one" with say another person. You can "match" their frequency and enter their body, and in turn experience things as through their eyes and also supposedly read their thoughts and examine their memories. I've only seen it mentioned once by one person on an obscure forum... but let me know if you have any success!

Also I'll post more later about this.. I have a couple of books with all my magick/AP/occult notes at my friends house ( safe keeping ) that I need to pick up. Wife and I were going through a really bad spat and she's... destructive so... those were the very first things that were secured away for safe keeping. I could give a *F* less about my video game consoles, computers, TVs etc... what I really care about is my spellbooks and my notebooks on the occult lol.

Now this is fascinating, smart move on saving your stuff. Everyone I know is going through it right now, even Joanne and I are having more of "those" moments that normal. It will work out, hang in there. Every excited to read more about this.
user4558013
Your favourite Demon?: Rosier

Now this is my kind of thread :D :lol: i'll respond to this when I get back from work!
Start and end every conversation with laughter.

You might as well laugh now because you’re going to laugh about it when you're further down the road anyways.
Eilana
Lady of Monsters
Your favourite Demon?: Ombre, Mammon, Swallowtail, Sizzle, Elegy
Number of Demon Familiars: 69

Riael wrote:
Eilana wrote: I'm really interested to hear more of your experiences and more details on the pain. I see you said that you never tried again, do you think you might?
I have been trying for quite some time now but I haven't had nearly the same results as before. Admittedly I am much more distracted these days with wife, kids and 9-5 job so I believe that has made it more difficult to find time to practice visualization as much as I was before.

In regard to the pain: it began in my calf muscles in my physical body.. I could feel it while out of body. I could 'feel' it but it seemed like a distant pain like it was far away. Almost dulled. As time went on however the pain spread through each muscle in my body. The pain itself was exactly like a 'Charlie horse' or a cramp that occurs in the calf muscle. However in this case it spread to each and every muscle fiber in my body. As a result my muscles were sore for a good 2 days after the experience. I was lifting weights a lot at the time but it was nothing like muscle soreness from working out. As far as I could tell ( I was 100% lucid, as much as in the physical plane ) I could see no other entities around me when I was out of body. After that experience I quit.. and all notions of trying again were discarded until the last year or so. I regret my backsliding all that time ago. I truly do. Now I see astral projection as a life goal... despite any pain, attacks or problems I may run into while trying to reach that goal.
Work and life definitely impacted the time I had to AP. I AP'ed when I was younger, stopped for quite awhile (over 10 years) then got back into it and had to rebuild my skills. It's definitely possible to do. I really do feel you though on the lack of time, believe me LOL
Riael wrote:Eilana; one little gem I've always wanted to try when I become successful at AP... it's hard to describe to please bear with me. The theory is... that with your astral body you can lay in or "become one" with say another person. You can "match" their frequency and enter their body, and in turn experience things as through their eyes and also supposedly read their thoughts and examine their memories. I've only seen it mentioned once by one person on an obscure forum... but let me know if you have any success!
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have done this and I have heard of other people doing it as well. I ended up doing this through some of the work I did with Demons, learning to channel, astral project and other things. It kind of crossed over in my study of energies and shifting to different states of consciousness... It was an intense experience for me. I astral projected into the body of one of my Demons (reverse channeling? :lol:) and saw different realms through his eyes. I researched and spoke to others, it can be done with other people/humans (I'm guessing you want to do this with another human being, not a spirit/entity?). But yes I am very familiar with this. There's different things to consider in either case, whichever you want to do.

Merging with someone like that was one of the most indescribably amazing experiences I ever had in the astral, being completely energetically one with him was euphoric in ways I can't fully explain. I blogged about parts of it and other parts I wrote down but never shared. I must go dig through my notes lol

I have astral projected to locations where other people were waiting for me and we tested things, including whether or not they could feel me touching them, what I could see energetically or what I could see in the physical location. Examples specifically, energetically I have seen energy around people and predicted illness, people were able to feel me touching them and described things or I described things to them, and checking out physical locations and seeing things there (I am still developing seeing physical things now, my skills could be better. I am definitely better at seeing things astrally/energetically in that state, than seeing like I see with my physical eyes).

I so get you on the destructive partner thing. My ex smashed one of my altars when we were still together. They were the first thing I packed up when I decided I was leaving him lol everything else was secondary to me too.

I'm enjoying this topic, thank you Riael for posting it ^^ looking forward to reading and sharing.
:death: :death: :death:

~ Burn the ships to take the island. ~

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Return to “Astral Projection, Lucid Dreaming, OBE's, and other forms of Spiritual Travel”