What exactly is dark and shadow magick?

Spells and Rituals that are on the darker side of the spectrum.
Shifa
Patron Deities: Ceiling Cat
Your favourite Demon?: Basement Cat

After replying to another thread, I saw this forum section and thought to expand further.
I was thinking about the uses of despair, and silence/void. I assume this would be dark and/or shadow magick. I don’t truly understand what shadow magick is though.
What do you do with the shadow?
Fall into the depths of nothingness beyond the dark
Heretique
Patron Deities: Set, Kali ma, guided heavily by Svengali and Lucifer
Your favourite Demon?: Svengali, Lucifer, Paimon, Azazel, Lucifuge Rofocale, Eurynomous, Namaah, Belial, Lord O
Number of Demon Familiars: 6

this is an interesting question. There are a few types of shadow magick i know of. there is the Shadow which is the repressed sides of ourselves that we can work on integrating and there can be magick around that. There is also umbra which is shadow energy itself- it can be used quite a few things, concealment, it can delve into illusion magick too, or just using the energy of the shadows themselves to form and work with things. It is more ephemeral though this kind of work. but it can be powerful. Silence can be an interesting area to work with too- but i think it would lend itself to more baneful workings if used for others. For the self though it could be an interesting area to explore. like a still point or nothingness- nothingness can delve into areas of non-reality which may be of some interest to you. Basically the way i heard of it is looking at creation and existence like a painting on a canvas. The void is the canvas from which and upon which all things come into existence, it can be integrated into the layers of existence but it also remains unaffected by it, encompassing it in a way. The non-reality realms are what is left when you peel back the canvas. But these realms and energies are extremely dangerous, as non-reality energy seeks to subsume everything back into itself and amalgamate it all to a blank slate again. so its very difficult to connect with or even maintain a singular separate form or existence within. Actually going to those realms can lead to complete destruction. This is just one level though of seeing the workings of "realities" and creation. However such ideas may help in your further explorations.

Another way of exploring shadow/umbra magick is perhaps looking at the interactions of light and shadow and how they play out together even on a more molecular level to have an understanding of what to do with it magickally as well. Perhaps spacial magick may also be of interest.
Shifa
Patron Deities: Ceiling Cat
Your favourite Demon?: Basement Cat

Quite fascinating food for thought. Thank you.
Fall into the depths of nothingness beyond the dark
Melektaus

""The eternal war between Positive Energy and Negative Energy"". Sums up the Good/Bad,, Light/Dark,, Pleasure/Pain,, Bliss/Suffering.. Love/Hate,, Creation/Destruction,, Heaven/Hell,, Good/Evil,,, dualities.... etc...... ""The Dark side of the Force"". ""When light moves away from the Eternal Source, it does not fade but becomes Denser, more Solid"". Lover vibrations, darker, less intensity of vibrations. '"As far away from the Presence of '''''God''''', as one can be"". Except for in the middle of the Earth... . ""Ignorance is the only 'sin',,""... ""Soul needs Light to have Power"". ""Chains of Darkness, reserved for the Judgement."" So, feeding the Demons light energy, might make them very happy. Dark might also mean Hidden, like the definition of Occult. ( Not anymore, thank Satan, we all know ). Back on topic.... Dark and Shadow, to many people, means something being used for negative, vengeful, hateful, fearful, aggressive, jealous, hurtful reasons to bring harm and misfortune on another. That is just one definition. .. Don't want to go overkill on this. Just some possibilities.

Return to “Dark/Shadow Magick”