Discovering Your Patron

Questions and Answers for where to begin on the Darker Spiritual Paths.

Moderator: Akelta

Mephistopheles

Greetings everyone,

As you can probably tell, I am new here and beginning my journey on the LHP.

Having perused a few old threads and liked what I have seen, I am eager to learn more and begin practising!

Hence this thread. I am wondering if you have any advice which would help me to discover my patron.

I have already started meditating on certain names, and have slept with a sigil of Azazel under my pillow and recited his enn until falling asleep for the last few nights.

Am I on the right track? Any other recommendations?

Thanks.
Anatel
Your favourite Demon?: DH, my twin
Number of Demon Familiars: 16

I would suggest acquiring a copy of S. connolly's Complete Book of Demonolatry - you can find it on amazon.

She has a whole section on there telling you different methods of picking a Patron.
For my own self though, my Patron came out of the blue, as i was working her methods, but not with him. Sometimes it can take years to find one, sometimes sooner. My advice is to just explore and dont dedicate or commit to anyone just yet until you've worked with quite a few and had a feel for them, their energy and how you resonate with them. Take your time there is no race or hurry. :)
Age is a number and an attitude......and a measurement of how far you can toss your boobs- Akelta
Parabola
Patron Deities: Lucifer, Satan

You could always jump on the astral plane and take a little trip, your spirit guide will lead you in the right direction..
You simply cannot be a Satanist, and not involve Satan..

HAIL Satan
HAIL Lucifer
Akelta
Goddess of the Void
Patron Deities: Satan, Lucifer, Mammon, Azazel, Andras, Paimon, Leviathan, Unsere, The Family
Your favourite Demon?: Tiger, High Prince H, Bear, Oblivion, Quasar, Prince V, Venom, Cadaver, My Family
Number of Demon Familiars: 66

Wanda is absolutely right, do not rush it and take as much time as you need. Work with different demons you are called to and get a sense of their energy. Picking a patron does not mean you have to stop working with the others.

When it comes to your patron, it is a very personal thing and a lot of people just know when they find the one who is meant for them.
Lover of Demons
Royal Demon Goddess
Darling of Sublime Romance
Daughter of Demonic Macabre

Walk with Satan in Shadow
Rise with Azazel in Potential
Dance with Lucifer Under the Moon
Kneel before Mammon's Throne
undertaker
Patron Deities: 0
Your favourite Demon?: 0
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

Hi, new here so by patron, do you mean a guardian demon or demon guide?
Anatel
Your favourite Demon?: DH, my twin
Number of Demon Familiars: 16

undertaker wrote:Hi, new here so by patron, do you mean a guardian demon or demon guide?
hi undertaker,
a patron deity or patron demon is one that you form a deep close personal relationship and bond with. They can , and most often times do, become guides and guardians to those who follow them. :)
Age is a number and an attitude......and a measurement of how far you can toss your boobs- Akelta
Andreeje
Patron Deities: Hecate, Sepheranz, Lucifer, Belial
Your favourite Demon?: Marbas, Arkos, Anima Sola
Number of Demon Familiars: 8

I know this is an old thread, but this question comes up a lot on many forums from people just starting out. When you first start getting your feet wet, there is an overwhelming amount of information and so many possibilities, so many things to do and work on. One of the things that has the biggest draw is finding a Patron, I fully understand why, there is a sense of security in devoting yourself to one specific Diety, especially for those coming from other religions. But I think it's something that most people should hold off on. One reason is that a lot of people just starting tend to do a lot of hopping around, it's natural when faced with so many Spirits and Paths; also, devotion is something that should be taken very seriously. What a beginner may want as their Patron on day one may be very different than after a year or two. Which brings up another point, a Patron may not always be the one you "want", it's not always about picking one, so much as its discovering who it is. Not always, but sometimes you already have a Patron because they have "picked" you instead of the other way around, and by trying to rush in and devote yourself to another it could limit your view and take quite a while to discover this fact.

Another thing you'll see is Patron hopping, where people switch monthly or yearly, claiming each time that this is their Patron now. That's never a good idea in my book, because like I said, devotion is a serious thing and should be treated with respect, as you should also respect the Spirits you devote yourself to and continue to do so. This doesn't mean there won't be Spirits who step in on a ever changing basis to guide and teach you. Work with them; explore and learn everything they are there to show you. But to call them you Patron and devote yourself to them just to change your mind later isn't the best idea.

With that being said, I'd hold off on spending so much time and effort finding a Patron for a while. Down the road you may be surprised who you find out it is for you. Start with the basics for now: meditation, energy work, basic ritual, divination, and start by working with a small handful of Spirits on a regular basis. As Anatel said, Connelly has a good method for choosing a handful of Dieties to start working with, and there is a good chance that your Patron may be in that mix. But hold off on claiming so until you really know them intimately. Hell, it took me over 15 years to find mine, and I'm glad I waited and kept my "spiritual chastity belt" on and saved myself for Her:) Not to say finding yours will take that long, not by any means, I'm just a tad stubborn and that was my case only. Hopefully you will have a faster time than I did, but then again I wasn't looking either, my Patron came to me and it wasn't one I ever would have thought of years earlier. Good luck to ya:)
Keighn

I need help invoking Satan into myself. I'm more into the sexual nature with satan than the pure adversarial nature in myself. Just some nice provacative dreams with Satan would be nice. Satan knows my tastes in this nature but I'm still needing a push.
User5191
Your favourite Demon?: DW and the DF
Number of Demon Familiars: 10

While we're digging up the past.. I might as well give a little shout out to this thread. I was able to find an e-copy of the book that Anatel mentioned above. Good news, no shipping and only 9.99. Value. Boom.
Anyway, it appears that this might be a good launching off point into understanding more of these mysteries...
"Verily I say unto thee, thou shalt gaze upon my field of fucks, and ye shall see that it is barren." -Bathosias

"Allow me to quote myself" -Bathosias
badblood
Patron Deities: Lucifer, Azazel, Claunech

It's an absolutely fantastic book. Really enjoyed what I've read thus far.

Return to “Starting out on the LHP and the Dark Spiritual Paths”