The First Ever Feminist: According to Christianity.

The place to post about ancient, lost, and forgotten cultures, archaeology and the old world.
Catamite
Patron Deities: That’s a Secret
Your favourite Demon?: Dunno yet

So I'm pretty sure everyone here should know the name "Lilith" a very well known demoness am I right? Well did you know that the story behind Lilith in the Bible was basically the story of a woman who wanted equality and was forced out of her home because of it? :/

You see the story goes like this. God created man and woman. Adam, and Lilith. The difference between Lilith and Eve was how they were created for you see Lilith was created from the same earth as Adam at the same time as Adam and with the same aspect of God as Adam. Lilith was equal to man which was Adam in almost every way. However Adam expected her to be more of a subservient woman. A trophy wife almost. Lilith strived for equality however and but of course she refused this idea. "Lay beneath me woman" Adam has said to her. She eventually renounced God and says his name, this gives her this immense power and she flies away to the skies. It was then that God made Adam's second wife which was Eve. As he slept God made Eve from the rib of man and this was what made him able to push that subservient role into his woman. Lilith was cast out of the garden of Eden and became an evil and vengeful spirit and this is what made the stories of the succubus we know today as demon. Lilith was just a feminist who was cast out of paradise for her views of equality and soon became the go-to gal when you wished to throw blame because of miscarriages or the death of newborns... She is now seen as a night demoness who's children are born from the essence young men who sleep alone.

There was once another Goddess with a similar name of Lilith and is seen as a woman with bird like talons and wings but I know nothing else of her except that she was once worshipped in an ancient culture...
Fe Yo We. "Make Them See."
user1876
Patron Deities: Azazel Rosier
Your favourite Demon?: Azazel Satan Prince Mo Prince V Lucifer Mammon Belial Rosier Babael Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 26

Catamite wrote:So I'm pretty sure everyone here should know the name "Lilith" a very well known demoness am I right? Well did you know that the story behind Lilith in the Bible was basically the story of a woman who wanted equality and was forced out of her home because of it? :/

You see the story goes like this. God created man and woman. Adam, and Lilith. The difference between Lilith and Eve was how they were created for you see Lilith was created from the same earth as Adam at the same time as Adam and with the same aspect of God as Adam. Lilith was equal to man which was Adam in almost every way. However Adam expected her to be more of a subservient woman. A trophy wife almost. Lilith strived for equality however and but of course she refused this idea. "Lay beneath me woman" Adam has said to her. She eventually renounced God and says his name, this gives her this immense power and she flies away to the skies. It was then that God made Adam's second wife which was Eve. As he slept God made Eve from the rib of man and this was what made him able to push that subservient role into his woman. Lilith was cast out of the garden of Eden and became an evil and vengeful spirit and this is what made the stories of the succubus we know today as demon. Lilith was just a feminist who was cast out of paradise for her views of equality and soon became the go-to gal when you wished to throw blame because of miscarriages or the death of newborns... She is now seen as a night demoness who's children are born from the essence young men who sleep alone.

There was once another Goddess with a similar name of Lilith and is seen as a woman with bird like talons and wings but I know nothing else of her except that she was once worshipped in an ancient culture...
' I know the Story of Adam and Eve well Most Christians want believe that Eve is not Adam's First Wife because they believe every Word that's in ' The Bible to be true if it's Not in their Good Book then of Course it Can't be , The truth and anything Else Can only Be the Works of, the Devil in their Eyes .I Believe Lilith Was Adam's First wife and She wanted Something better Other then having to Submit to him all ' The Days of her life So Yes She Stood up for herself by renouncing God He didn't like that So He goes and makes another Wife for Adam ' One that would obey him Because '' I feel in God's eyes all women are underneath a Man it Was one of thee Many things about Christianity that Sicken me to my Very Soul
I Have Won Sinner Of The Month Five Times Now ' My Grandmother Always Said either Stand For Something are You Will Fall for Anything ' I am not Just Walking My path . I am Living it !
Catamite

velle wrote:
Catamite wrote:So I'm pretty sure everyone here should know the name "Lilith" a very well known demoness am I right? Well did you know that the story behind Lilith in the Bible was basically the story of a woman who wanted equality and was forced out of her home because of it? :/

' I know the Story of Adam and Eve well Most Christians want believe that Eve is not Adam's First Wife because they believe every Word that's in ' The Bible to be true if it's Not in their Good Book then of Course it Can't be , The truth and anything Else Can only Be the Works of, the Devil in their Eyes .I Believe Lilith Was Adam's First wife and She wanted Something better Other then having to Submit to him all ' The Days of her life So Yes She Stood up for herself by renouncing God He didn't like that So He goes and makes another Wife for Adam ' One that would obey him Because '' I feel in God's eyes all women are underneath a Man it Was one of thee Many things about Christianity that Sicken me to my Very Soul

My point exactly Velle. It's stuff like this that makes me wonder, what was the true origin of Christianity... ya know?? Like was it really the word of some sick twisted misogynistic God or the words of chauvinistic cavemen who want to toy with faith to make the world work for them, ugh.
DoubleD
Patron Deities: Aranunna, Marduk, Anubis, Horus
Your favourite Demon?: Still Learning This
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

And I am going to politely point out that this isn't an issue with Christianity, this is monotheism period. Zoroastrian, Islam, Christian, Jewish were all the same tenants. I will also point out that the story of Lilith didn't come from Christians, it came for Jewish lore.
Catamite

DoubleD wrote:And I am going to politely point out that this isn't an issue with Christianity, this is monotheism period. Zoroastrian, Islam, Christian, Jewish were all the same tenants. I will also point out that the story of Lilith didn't come from Christians, it came for Jewish lore.
This is true but I point it towards Christianity because even still the concept is the same.. they both hold misogyny within their teachings which in my personal opinion stem from corruption of the books by chauvinist cavemen
DoubleD
Patron Deities: Aranunna, Marduk, Anubis, Horus
Your favourite Demon?: Still Learning This
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

Fair enough.

So I do take issue with the word misogyny, it is an overused word from all the people freaking out about current politics. I don't consider how women were treated a form of misogyny, unless we are talking about Islam, where women are sexually mutilated and forced to live in a lower position as men. Jewish, Christian and even Zoro may have held women in a certain regard but they didn't hate them.

I don't feel that most religions created their systems based on their hatred of women, they created their societies around skill sets that each of the genders best manages. Men were hunters and gatherers and women maintained the family systems. humanity wouldn't have survived without this sort of setup. Men are hard wired to be protectors, providers and strong, women to be nurturers and care givers. Does this mean all women were that way? of course not but it was part of society.

Things have progressed in many ways but our true natures have not. Men are not misogynists because they look at women and think they are beautiful or because they think sexual thoughts about them. Of course that isn't what you were implying and this isn't the place for me to go on a current state of the world diatribe. But I want to be mindful of that word and remember what it really means.
Leo Sierra
Patron Deities: Pazuzu, Lillith
Your favourite Demon?: Mutilations and Crypts
Number of Demon Familiars: 3

Always loved that story.
Lilith was possibly, maybe a later version of the Mesopotamian being Lamashtu.
Lamashtu was the rival of Pazuzu, she was believed to suck the blood of newborns.
Lilith also appears in one of the Sumerian story of Inanna and the Huluppa Tree, (Lilith makes her home in the tree’s trunk.)
Yes I really love the fact that she has become a symbol of female liberation.
She defied sex based stereotyping and (like the human women who also escaped such confines) was cast out and shunned for it.

I think people forget that the faulty presumptions these sex based stereotypes come from were put forward by men with an agenda. Patriarchy is after all the simple idea that men enjoy status above women, in return for the possibility of getting their balls shot off in battle for the king/emperor/president.
And it began in earnest in Assyria, long before Christianity or Judaism was thought of. Goddesses that had stood alone, were officially paired off with male gods.
This idea is greatly helped if you spread incorrect and insidious ‘knowledge’ that certain classes are naturally limited in their capacities. i.e. Women are too emotional to be educated beyond a certain level, or else their poor ladybrains will overheat. Or that non Europeans also have different limits and capabilities.
And it was only in 1973 that the medical establishment finally came to its senses and declassified being gay as a mental illness.
Stereotypes basically derive from eighteenth and nineteenth century ‘scientists’ who wanted to create an illusion of superiority.

Wynd Runner
Patron Deities: Lilith, Astaroth, Satan, and Lucifer

Lilith is older than humanity. This story about Lilith is nonsense and made up to prop up the patriarchy and shame and control women.
"Will you spill the wine
to summon the divine?"

Darkness at the Heart of my Love - Ghost
Dragonoake
Patron Deities: Zepar, Delipitore
Number of Demon Familiars: 4

Catamite wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:04 pm
It was then that God made Adam's second wife which was Eve. As he slept God made Eve from the rib of man
This is something that I've often wondered about....
If you have the power to create a universe with a word, and create a living creature from a pile of dirt, why do you need to put that creature to sleep and take a tissue sample from him to create another one?
It would, however, make sense if you wanted to clone this creature
The first step in working miracles is realizing that you can.

Return to “Ancient Cultures, History, and the Evolution of Religion and Spirituality”