What Music/Shows/Movies/Books/Games Inspired You?

Art, cultural, and music, share creative things that you love!
Amaranth Rose
Number of Demon Familiars: 5

Can be now or in your childhood ^^ what media opened your eyes to the possibility of magick and the fantastical divine? Of creatures and of the self? I'm really curious to hear all your answers!

Here are mine:

Anime:
Sailor Moon
Cardcaptor Sakura
**These two shows really influenced me from a young age, teaching me that even a normal clumsy crybaby girl can be a warrior of love and justice, and that no matter what, everything will be okay :) plus that 90s magic was so nostalgic and I love it to this day! :devillove:

Shugo Chara
A kid's show but with surprisingly in-depth look at the many aspects of self that we may be ashamed of and try to hide. It's a great coming-of-age anime about realizing your true self and power. I spent all of middle school watching this LOL.

More recently, Little Witch Academia because of its message of never giving up and believing in the magick inside of you.
I just finished it today and shed some tears...

This goes under movies but I'll just put it here:
Studio Ghibli movies, especially Totoro and Princess Mononoke
**Totoro and Princess Mononoke because of how they depicted the beauty and power of the forest and its creatures.

Movies:
Harry Potter
Chronicles of Narnia
**I used to play witches with my cousins and we'd wave around sticks pretending to cast spells while running around :) my brother used to be my "professor" and would give me assignments like copying down magical plants and their uses, names of creatures, and then we would have potions class. It was so much fun because we would collect ingredients from the backyard and from the kitchen and pretend to mix potions! Also, magical school. Come ON! Who wouldn't want to go to that?!?
**Narnia, of course, opened my eyes to the idea of different realms and the differences in the passage of time. I also longed to find different realms and play with different creatures. Also I had the biggest crush on Edmund. Oh dear. XD

Anastasia (animation)
**She's always been my favorite princess since something seemed so familiar about her not remembering life as a child. It's like us when we're exploring our long lost memories... plus, that whole movie was brilliant with the music box, the dancing and singing... whenever I hear that song, I feel such warm nostalgia and longing <3

Books:
Harry Potter
Narnia
The WITCH series
**Yup, same as above. And WITCH series is a good coming-of-age story about magick and kickass teenage girls. YEAH!!!

Guardians of Ga'hoole
Warriors
Redwall
**These all have anthropomorphised animals in them. They are wonderful and lead such interesting lives and have little clans and animal culture... I loved them so much and they partially inspired my love of animals and wanting to connect with them more.
Also, in Warriors, they had medicine cats (like a cat version of medicine man) and I was very intrigued by it and pretended I was a medicine cat... errr... girl and pretended to make poultices out of crushed dandelions LOL.

Water trilogy (by Kara Daley)
**I totally forgot the name of this series but after some searching on Google, I THINK this is what I read when I was in early middle school? The story is very blurry in my mind but I remember being so awed by the story and how the author weaved the words to create her version of Atlantis. I was amazed by the life under water, the society, the mermaids~ It was truly magical so I must buy it and read it to see if it is what I remember <3

Video games:
Fire Emblem series
Lux Pain
Pokémon
Persona series
**Ehehe Pokémon was always a love of mine back in the day and I'm starting to get back into it. I love the idea of befriending all kinds of creatures and forming an ultra powerful team. Also the bond between trainer and Pokémon makes the Pokémon stronger and I really like that :D

**Fire Emblem was recently these past few years but rekindled my interest in kind of medieval fantasy genre with knights, weapons, fighting, magick and dragons!

**Lux Pain is a small, relatively unknown game but it really got me curious about auras and how the mind can be affected by energies, especially by bad ones. Interestingly enough, my interest in the paranormal started happening after I played this game and got curious about some things. I did lots of research on my own and ta dah! Soon afterwards, I bought my own set of tarot cards and did readings for me and my friends for fun.

**The only Persona games I've actually played are 5 and Q, but I watched game plays of 4 Golden and 3 FES. I NEED THEM. Going to play someday. <3 all great coming-of-age stories about confronting your fears and becoming your true self, then fighting enemies with your personas (aspects of your self). Also, the main character is a wild card, meaning they can wield any persona... so they are special and have the potential to master any part of the self. Each game has its own message, and I'm excited about playing more. Oh, I almost forgot! Personas and social links are represented by mythological and fantasy creatures and labeled tarot cards so that is really fun :) it makes me want to pick up my own tarot again.

Whew.... so there's that. You made it!
So here's my question for y'all again! What media things inspired your magickal practice/beliefs today? ^^
Hope will never die!" -Lucina
“In a world of spiders and flies, you are a butterfly.” - companion J
Calin

Great list! Ok I'll play and show my age in the process ; ) :

Books
The Magician by Raymond E Feist
the Servants of the Empire Series
Aradia, Gospel of the Witches
the Earth Sea Trilogy - Ursula Le Guin
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig
Three Books of Occult Philosophy - Agrippa
The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying - Rinpoche
Mystical Kabbalah - Dion Fortune
The Zelator - David Ovason
Initiation into Hermetics and the Magic of Evocation by Franz Bardon -the first is a hands down best magic practical exercises available at the moment for personal mastery - and the second has enough intelligences to engage with to last a lifetime.
The Magic of Herbs - Scott Cunninham
The Elegant Unvierse - Brian Greene - Great intro book on quantum physics - helpful to understand in the context of correspondences and magic working, particularly string theory
Sooo many more - almost everything on my bookshelf has been an inspiration in some way

Art
HR Giger, dark themed tattoo work - always drawing skulls and demons as a kid

Games
Ultima series, final fantasy series, Dragon Age series, Skyrim!! How could I forget Skyrim!!

Movies and TV
In the Name of the Rose (the library in the caverns still gets me hot under the collar)
Mists of Avalon
The Exorcist
The Omen series
Vikings (love the old Gods lore running through this)
Ghost Hunters
Paranormal Investigators
X - Files
Doctor Strange
Army of Darkness - the original
Heros
Penny Dreadful - A must watch series
Constantine
Maleficent
Suicide Squad - I confess a soft spot for the witch queen *grin*

Music
I have a very eclectic mix of music, but a metal head at heart - lots of 'tude and demons and stuff among this lot.
Megadeth - Dave Mustane's lyrics and guitar riffs FTW
Old Metallica
Five Finger Death Punch
Disturbed - Indestructable - great track
Machine Head
Pantera
ACDC
Alter Bridge
Passemoon
Patron Deities: Cailleach, Tefnut, Bes, Kwan Im, Dark Lords

The TV shows Charmed and Buffy!! :witch: :witch2:
I dig the witches! Willow and Tara included from Buffy.
ImageImage

Don’t only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
Ludwig van Beethoven
Amaranth Rose

@Calin that's a great list! I'll have to check out those books!! :devillove: wow!!!

I also have always wanted to play FF but never had consoles... I want to play some soon since they look so beautiful. And Skyrim!!! I need to play more of that as well :devillove:

@Passemoon yessss how could I forget Charmed?! I used to watch with my sister :D I need to finish rewatching that. It was on Netflix so I hope it is still there!

OMG.... I forgot one movie. Pan's Labrinth. I couldn't watch it until I was much older because I was terrified of the child eating monster LOL. But that movie is beautiful and the lullaby is so haunting and sad. I love it :devillove:
User3246
Patron Deities: Papa Legba, Shiva, Odin
Your favourite Demon?: Samael , Lord Uphir, Lord Asmodeus, Lord Satan, Lord Mammon, Lord Azazel
Number of Demon Familiars: 17

Anime/animated stuff:
Mummies Alive!
Dragonball Z
Vampire Knight

Art:
Frank Frazetta
Monet
Dali

Movies and TV:
Charmed
The Evil Dead Series
Constantine
Original Star Wars

Games:
Diablo Series.
Alien Series, esp Aliens (2)
It
The Dresden Files

Books:
ANYTHING by Laurell Hamilton- The woman is a GODDESS!
Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series
Feehan's Carpathian Vampire Series
The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever
The Foundations Of High Magick Series by Dennings/Phillips
Enochian Magick
The Middle Pillar
Vampyre Magick
Vampyre Sanguinomicon
Bill The Vampire Series
The Darkover Novels By Marian Zimmer Bradley
“If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.” – Jim Rohn

"The Master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Do not rely on ANYTHING, unexamined. If It does not seem to fit, ask about it. If it ultimately degrades or dishonors or holds you back, it is bad for you, so remove it from your life. If it takes from you and never gives back, it is a leech. Discard it. In magick rely only on your own work: What you have seen and done and used for your own self and in your own way. Only keep what in your own estimation is worth keeping. (Hellcat's Rules Of Satanic Magick)"

Don't get too close. It's Dark inside. It's where my Demons hide!

Hailing Satan isn't a hobby, its a lifestyle. (S@tan)
Amaranth Rose

@Hellcat you like Vampire Knight?!? Haha one of my favorites from way back ^^ I never finished the manga but peeked at the ending and was disappointed so never went back... I'll have to give it another chance someday lol

And I love Monet too!! :devillove:
User3246
Patron Deities: Papa Legba, Shiva, Odin
Your favourite Demon?: Samael , Lord Uphir, Lord Asmodeus, Lord Satan, Lord Mammon, Lord Azazel
Number of Demon Familiars: 17

Amaranthlovecharm wrote:@Hellcat you like Vampire Knight?!? Haha one of my favorites from way back ^^ I never finished the manga but peeked at the ending and was disappointed so never went back... I'll have to give it another chance someday lol

And I love Monet too!! :devillove:
I loved that Vampire Knight! i did not follow it to the end though. :p I do not watch TV much. It was dark and appealed to me. :D
“If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.” – Jim Rohn

"The Master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Do not rely on ANYTHING, unexamined. If It does not seem to fit, ask about it. If it ultimately degrades or dishonors or holds you back, it is bad for you, so remove it from your life. If it takes from you and never gives back, it is a leech. Discard it. In magick rely only on your own work: What you have seen and done and used for your own self and in your own way. Only keep what in your own estimation is worth keeping. (Hellcat's Rules Of Satanic Magick)"

Don't get too close. It's Dark inside. It's where my Demons hide!

Hailing Satan isn't a hobby, its a lifestyle. (S@tan)
elena.rose
Your favourite Demon?: hmm i dont have any yet
Number of Demon Familiars: 4

~Anime~
Sailor Moon
Card captures
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbor Totoro
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle & the rest of Studio Ghibli and miyazaki's work
Rosario
Dance in the Vampire Bund
Little witch Academy
Magi
Fate stay night

*Movies*
Dragonheart
Maleficent
pagemaster
Halloweentown
Hocus Pocus
Pagemaster
The Dark Crystal
The NeverEnding Story
Anastasia
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Hobbit
Bright- Netflix original
The craft
Practical Magic

~TV shows*
Shadowhunters
Witches of East End
Charmed
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
constantine
Once Upon a Time
Lost girl

* video games*
Final Fantasy
Parasite Eve
Clock Tower 3

Books
The plucker by Brom
The devils Rose by Brom
Amaranth Rose

@Elena we have such similar taste in anime!! I'll have to check out those movies. I'm not much of a movie person xD
There are so many good fantasy ones out there though *-*
elena.rose
Your favourite Demon?: hmm i dont have any yet
Number of Demon Familiars: 4

Amaranthlovecharm wrote:@Elena we have such similar taste in anime!! I'll have to check out those movies. I'm not much of a movie person xD
There are so many good fantasy ones out there though *-*
I no right :)devil: I love anime I really have a really big list lol card captures was really big for me growing up, my momo bought me the book that came with the cards and I think I still have them :)devil: :devillove:

Return to “Art, Culture, & Music”