Satanic music, what to look for, how to identify, and how to decern.

Art, cultural, and music, share creative things that you love!
Zonk01
Patron Deities: Leviathan
Your favourite Demon?: Lucifer, Leviathan, Agares
Number of Demon Familiars: 19

What started me on the LHP was music. Specifically my dive into black and death metal. The energy in that music can be rough, but you can find some really unique forms of magickal practice in them.

A lot of music is magickal, and the energy that’s created really can be trance inducing at times. Just think about how many times you have listened to music and jammed out, or had an experience with lyrics that made you think “this is what I’m feeling right now!” The energy can’t be denied. I meditate to all kinds of music and try and discern the energies in it. But my favorite feeling is finding music with demonic energy in it, which has been unknowingly put in it or purposefully been dropped there. For the past 5 years I’ve been on a quest to find purposefully find satanic music, and I get really excited when I do find it. I connect to the music much more when I do find a satanic link. It can be through the lyrics or just instruments, but when it’s there, it is THERE.

The most obvious satanic music puts it somewhat blatantly in front of your face. Through imagery of pentagrams, sigils, depictions of the baphomet, it’s uaually in your face. But you can’t take that at face value though. Lots of groups that do that are just being reactionary to other ideologies, so you have to be careful when you see a pentagram on the cover.

Lyrics are another obvious sign of satanic belief. But just like the imagery, you can’t take it at face value. Look for names of demons, references to Satan, or magickal practice. Even with the group yelling “hail Satan” they could just be LeVeyan Satanists trying to react to other ideologies. Try to read the energy and see if it has the intent of praise or the intent of blasphemy against other religions. Sometimes, if you’re lucky, it will be both.
Look for the subtle hints. Some bands don’t shove pentagrams and other satanic symbols down your throat, but they are still satanists.

Your best bet if finding actually Satanic music is metal and rock, but there are a few within other genres. The best places to look are the sub-genres of metal. Black metal, doom metal, and death metal have a lot of satanic bands in them, although they have personal beliefs about demons and Satan that differ from my own. Just explore and try and look for the subtle clues in the music.

Here’s my list of satanic groups that I have strong reason to believe practice satanic philosophy and magick:

Behemoth
Bathory
Thy Art is Murder
Bryzum
Venom INC
Belphegor
Dark Funeral
Entombed
Ghost (still not sure about them, but a definite maybe)
Lord Belial
Mayhem
Year of the Goat
Mercyful Fate
Morbid Angel
Gorgoroth
Rotting Christ
Sabbath Assembly

These are the groups I’m really confident about, but I’m always searching for more. And please add more to this list if you find one. Nothing like worshiping demons through music :)
“I summon the one with the horns and the fire
as I throw myself right into the dark. I open the doors to the other side,
where everything is so old
I'm leaving this world and I enter the void
where the shadows forever reign.”
- “Where the Shadows Forever Reign” by Dark Funeral
Shifa
Patron Deities: Ceiling Cat
Your favourite Demon?: Basement Cat

Fall into the depths of nothingness beyond the dark
wanderer
Patron Deities: Astaroth, Beelzebub
Your favourite Demon?: companions
Number of Demon Familiars: 6

I would tentatively add led Zeppelin to the list. In houses of the holy they talk about Satan's daughter and after talking about letting the music being your master says "Satan and man".

And of course the stairway to heaven controversy. When played backwards one clearly hears "here's to my sweet Satan" and a bunch of other black magicky sounding things about the Lord turning me off and there's no escaping it. I don't know what to make of that shit but I clearly heard it.

Honestly most people can't write a song that good fowards yet alone backwards and forwards. And the singer basically said the lyrics were from automatic writing. Smells like some kind of spirits were involved, though not necessarily demons, or some magick. Maybe drugs too.

And the guitarist Jimmy Page was obsessed with the occult and Aliester Crowley even buying his house. He actually opened a book store that seeked out and sold rare occult books.

And the symbol for the record company they created is a fallen angel.
I'm not sure they're satanic (wouldn't be surprised if they were) but they or at least Page was into some serious magick, which found its way into some of their songs (mostly the better ones.)
“If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s.” – Joseph Campbell
Zonk01
Patron Deities: Leviathan
Your favourite Demon?: Lucifer, Leviathan, Agares
Number of Demon Familiars: 19

I’m going to add volbeat to the list. I’m pretty confident they have meta influence, and practice magick.
“I summon the one with the horns and the fire
as I throw myself right into the dark. I open the doors to the other side,
where everything is so old
I'm leaving this world and I enter the void
where the shadows forever reign.”
- “Where the Shadows Forever Reign” by Dark Funeral

Return to “Art, Culture, & Music”