Neuro-divergence and the LHP

Questions and Answers for where to begin on the Darker Spiritual Paths.

Moderator: Akelta

User1265455
Patron Deities: Paimon, Asmoday, Leviathan, Azazel, Amducius
Your favourite Demon?: Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 12

So, this is probably going to be a difficult discussion, but in light of some recent occurrences, a necessary one to have.

Rules for this thread:
NO calling out specific people on their behavior.
NO using specific instances from the forum or the discord server which will point out a specific member.
If you feel targeted or defensive in any way, I urge you to take a step back and take a breath, and if you still have the issue, please message an admin about it. A certain amount of discomfort comes with discussing this topic, but it is not my goal to vilify anyone.

Let's start with the obvious. I Am Neuro-Divergent. In fact, there are a LOT of people in S&S who are. Part of that is just statistical probability at work - the percentage of neuro-divergents to neuro-typicals within the metaphysical/pagan communities is greater than that found within the regular population. So this discussion applies every bit as much to me as it does to anyone else with this issue.

Being neuro-divergent and walking the LHP is an art. There is a perception of the LHP here at S&S which revolves very strongly around personal responsibility. The expectation is that no life experience or issue should be used as an excuse, but instead be viewed as a challenge, and solutions found and worked into daily life and behavior.

I am autistic. I have other issues. I am quick to tell people, "if my behavior is difficult to understand, this is where I'm coming from." But it's not an excuse, it's an explanation, and I always follow that statement with, "if my behavior is not acceptable, I need to know it, so that I can work on it." My goal isn't to be perfect, but I absolutely believe in always trying to do and be better.

It's important that if you are neuro-divergent, you not be hesitant to share that with us if difficulties arise. We're not asking for deeply personal information, but a little background goes a long way towards leniency.

HOWEVER... there are things that we are NOT going to be lenient about. They are discussed in the rules of the forum, but let's go over them again, here.

If you consistently create social discord, using your divergence as an excuse, and do not attempt to clean up your own mess, we cannot be lenient. No matter how compassionate and sympathetic we MIGHT feel, the simple truth is this is a community, and the overall health of EVERYONE has to be considered over an individual. If you're really having a tough time, our first recommendation is to let people know that you're having trouble, and our second is to take a step back from this community, and perhaps from metaphysics in general, until you feel more stable.

This path can be inherently destabilizing, most especially for neuro-divergent people, so it's important that you surround yourself with very grounded people, who are willing to tell you when a reality check is needed. For that reason, we have a rule here about not allowing people to claim to be, as we call it, "The Great And Powerful Oz." Whether it's true or not doesn't matter to us... the effects such claims have on the claimant and the community almost ALWAYS lead to unhealthy interactions with each other and with reality, so we do not allow it.

Sharing deeply personal experiences is part of this community. Sharing UPG (Unverified Personal Gnosis) is part of this community. LABELING things as UPG is part of the HEALTH of this community. We will not shame you for your UPG. However, if your UPG presents as you being either a danger to yourself or to others, we will not be lenient.

Frustration and depression are a part of neuro-divergence life. For most of us, we grew up without a clue we were neuro-divergent, and so we grew up misunderstood, and mistreated. We're left with deep insecurities, maladaptive behavior patterns, and rage. If this is you, as long as you post trigger warnings, we welcome you sharing your feelings and seeking comfort. However, if you have trouble dealing with your emotions, and such conversations devolve into personal attacks, drama, swearing at members, or name calling, you will be warned and the thread will be locked.

Ultimately, everything boils down to one fact. You may be neuro-divergent, but you are on a forum dedicated to the Left Hand Path. Personal responsibility, accountability, and self-control are expected, even from our youngest members. There are always reasons, there are always explanations, but neither reasons nor explanations can be used as excuses.

I have fucked up. I have said things, and done things, from my neuro-divergent place, and they have been shitty things to say and do. Every time, I have asked for, and received, criticism. It hurts. It makes me run away for a little while. But it's important to me to receive it, because if I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I cannot do better, and I want to do and be better. That's my job in my life - to always seek to improve myself. It's your job, in your life. So if we tell you something, even if it hurts, even if you have to step away for awhile until the pain is something you can cope with... know what we say to you comes from a place of similar experiences, compassion and sympathy, and that we want to help you do and be better.

The question is... do you? The choice is in your hands, as is the responsibility to handle the consequences. Take up your power, accept command of your actions to the extent that you are able, and walk with your head held high.

Be Well.
-Raven
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series

Return to “Starting out on the LHP and the Dark Spiritual Paths”