Trapping a spirit into an object? Is it possible ?

The answers to the questions our Coven has been asked. Don't see your question? Feel free to ask! :)

Moderator: Akelta

Blu
Your favourite Demon?: My Companions
Number of Demon Familiars: 4

Maybe your heard it your self a couple of times, but is it actually possible to imprison a spirit or an entity into an object like a box?
Like a genie in a bottle?
It must be terrifying.
Alone when you see documentaries about prisons and solitary confinement mit humans.
They go insane. How must it be for a spirit or entity then?
Imagine if it happends to you as a spirit when you are dead.
It`s different if you banish someone or imprisonen a being into an object.
"Loyalty is more important to me than money"Franz Sanchez from the James Bond movie Licence to Kill
Blu

Like the concept of earthbound spirits from dead people.
"Loyalty is more important to me than money"Franz Sanchez from the James Bond movie Licence to Kill
bren

In a sense, this is possible. For example, a sculptor definitely puts a piece of his soul into a sculpture. Mediums feel the soul of a person touching certain objects related to a person, which means we all leave some kind of imprint on objects.
User1265455
Patron Deities: Paimon, Asmoday, Leviathan, Azazel, Amducius
Your favourite Demon?: Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 12

There are spells and rituals that absolutely "trap" spirits in vessels. Such things are in every culture - think about the toyol demons - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyol

There's a grimoire: "The Art of Drawing Spirits into Crystals," http://www.esotericarchives.com/tritheim/trchryst.htm Which uses angels to trap demons in crystals.

So yeah. It's definitely a thing.
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series
Blu

This is horrible! :devilcry:
When you can do this with demons, I guess humans are not excluded from it.
So you can bond a humansoul too.
Aprophis
Number of Demon Familiars: 5

It definitely is possible.
Two Roads diverged in a yellow Wood and I took both, for I am Quantum.
Aksho Kharneth Akhash
Aksho Slaaneth K'Khaa
Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
Aksho Nurgleth Dh'Akh

Sanity is for the weak
User1265455

Whiski wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:06 pm
This is horrible! :devilcry:
When you can do this with demons, I guess humans are not excluded from it.
So you can bond a humansoul too.
Several African diaspora religions have the tradition of a Soul-jar - literally, trapping a person's soul in a jar at the moment of death so you can use it to animate dead bodies, and as a servant. I'm not sure how the animation part goes, but using a soul as a servant, yes.

There's also a long tradition in Hebrew mysticism of trapping spirits in rings.

People call on the dead to tell the future - and sometimes they use objects as a medium - and sometimes those objects become 'spirited' and get passed down through generations.

Yes, it's horrible if you think about it from your perspective, but... really, we trap cows and pigs and sheep and chickens and goats and horses, cats, dogs... we trap and enslave others to do our will or to serve us as food. We farm land, taking it from others, human and non, for our own desires...

This is just... what humans do. Of course we'd do spiritually what we've always done materially. It's not surprising at all.
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
laalbieglna
Patron Deities: Angrboda and Loki
Your favourite Demon?: Goetics
Number of Demon Familiars: 26

Just want to point out, though, that the entire genre of container magic is much more about creating a spirit vessel as an interface with the physical world and a comfortable touchpoint for that spirit within a human home than it is about literally trapping spirits in the vessels. Hoodoo is full of container magics, they are known in Jewish folk magic as well, and the beings generally aren't "trapped" in them anymore than they're trapped in a vessel from S&S or CH. That is not the point of these magics. I am not saying it's impossible, but in most cases. as the majority of practitioners work, the jar, box, bowl, or figure is used to invite the spirit and create a space that is secure and comfortable for them and easy for us to physically interact with, not to set a trap.
User1265455

laalbieglna wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:34 pm
Just want to point out, though, that the entire genre of container magic is much more about creating a spirit vessel as an interface with the physical world and a comfortable touchpoint for that spirit within a human home than it is about literally trapping spirits in the vessels. Hoodoo is full of container magics, they are known in Jewish folk magic as well, and the beings generally aren't "trapped" in them anymore than they're trapped in a vessel from S&S or CH. That is not the point of these magics. I am not saying it's impossible, but in most cases. as the majority of practitioners work, the jar, box, bowl, or figure is used to invite the spirit and create a space that is secure and comfortable for them and easy for us to physically interact with, not to set a trap.
This is absolutely true. The reason I mentioned the other things was because that was the question asked - "Can a spirit be trapped in a vessel?" Yes, they can. Are most spirited vessels holding trapped spirits? Most likely, no. :hug:
Shershah.chowdhury

Blu wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:55 pm
Maybe your heard it your self a couple of times, but is it actually possible to imprison a spirit or an entity into an object like a box?
Like a genie in a bottle?
It must be terrifying.
Alone when you see documentaries about prisons and solitary confinement mit humans.
They go insane. How must it be for a spirit or entity then?
Imagine if it happends to you as a spirit when you are dead.
It`s different if you banish someone or imprisonen a being into an object.
Yeah, some people do this in middle east, south asia they put the djinn inside a bottle then bury them alive underground inside the bottle. Idk how true it is though

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”