Focus Question

Mind power and mental mastery, a place to develop and expand ones cognitive abilities.
Celtic Star

Whimsy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:25 pm
Lol :lol:
I totally understand this! I remember trying to play the staring game with friends and it felt like the more you thought about not blinking the harder it was. I think it's because in the end, it psyches you out because you're being told you can't do something and you feel like you really need to.

I'd start yourself off on easy mode then if you're worried about it and do less time. The candle light is an interesting choice because afterward you can try and hold the image it burns into your brain. Try to do it in a dark room, focus on it for a minute then envision. Then focus again etc. Then gradually build up your tolerance and time.

This is making me think of the Ironic process theory. In that theory, people are given a task not to do something, such as 'don't think of a white bear'. They are so focused on trying not to think of it, which would cause them to do the very thing they were told not to do. The only way to accomplish the task is to instead shift thought, or focus on something else.

Though in this case people might accidentally turning a 'what to do' task into a 'what you can't do' task unintentionally making a bad 'self-fulfilling prophecy'. Ex: I cant blink, or move.
Magic is really very simple, all you've got to do is want something and then let yourself have it.
Aggie Cromwell
User1265455
Patron Deities: Paimon, Asmoday, Leviathan, Azazel, Amducius
Your favourite Demon?: Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 12

Celtic Star wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:05 pm
Whimsy wrote:
I totally understand this! I remember trying to play the staring game with friends and it felt like the more you thought about not blinking the harder it was. I think it's because in the end, it psyches you out because you're being told you can't do something and you feel like you really need to.

I'd start yourself off on easy mode then if you're worried about it and do less time. The candle light is an interesting choice because afterward you can try and hold the image it burns into your brain. Try to do it in a dark room, focus on it for a minute then envision. Then focus again etc. Then gradually build up your tolerance and time.

This is making me think of the Ironic process theory. In that theory, people are given a task not to do something, such as 'don't think of a white bear'. They are so focused on trying not to think of it, which would cause them to do the very thing they were told not to do. The only way to accomplish the task is to instead shift thought, or focus on something else.

Though in this case people might accidentally turning a 'what to do' task into a 'what you can't do' task unintentionally making a bad 'self-fulfilling prophecy'. Ex: I cant blink, or move.
To carry this example...

You both just lost The Game.

Also so did everyone else. muahahahaha
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series
Celtic Star

Nyctophilia Raven wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:23 pm
Celtic Star wrote:
Whimsy wrote:

To carry this example...

You both just lost T̵̢̯̭̻̲̗̜͓̩͇͔̟̣͕͓̬̹̺̤͎̓͆̀̊̾̆̈́̈́̾͜͜ͅh̸̗̖͓̗́̐ȇ̷̢̡̛̜̩͔̜̬͍̬͓̱͕̫̟̔͋̾̄̂̽̌̋̃͝ͅ ̷̛̖̪͔̍̈́̀̐̏̈̓̃̔̃͒͗̈G̸̛̘͔͓̺̳͐̅̋̈́́͋̾̍͂̓̈̉̎̔̏͘̚ǎ̵̦̝̯̲͉̟̔̌̊̈́͒̈̂͘̚͘ͅm̷̢̝͚̦͖̖̣̭̘̪̦̫̺̻͖͙̰̖̮̒̏̀́͑̑͊͒͐̽̌̕͜ͅę̷̨̡͈̙̘͈͉͎͈̻̜͍̏́͜.̵̢̢̨̢͕͔̫̒͜

Hmmm?
Magic is really very simple, all you've got to do is want something and then let yourself have it.
Aggie Cromwell
Whimsy

Celtic Star wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:29 pm
Nyctophilia Raven wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:23 pm
Celtic Star wrote:
Whimsy wrote:

To carry this example...

You both just lost T̵̢̯̭̻̲̗̜͓̩͇͔̟̣͕͓̬̹̺̤͎̓͆̀̊̾̆̈́̈́̾͜͜ͅh̸̗̖͓̗́̐ȇ̷̢̡̛̜̩͔̜̬͍̬͓̱͕̫̟̔͋̾̄̂̽̌̋̃͝ͅ ̷̛̖̪͔̍̈́̀̐̏̈̓̃̔̃͒͗̈G̸̛̘͔͓̺̳͐̅̋̈́́͋̾̍͂̓̈̉̎̔̏͘̚ǎ̵̦̝̯̲͉̟̔̌̊̈́͒̈̂͘̚͘ͅm̷̢̝͚̦͖̖̣̭̘̪̦̫̺̻͖͙̰̖̮̒̏̀́͑̑͊͒͐̽̌̕͜ͅę̷̨̡͈̙̘͈͉͎͈̻̜͍̏́͜.̵̢̢̨̢͕͔̫̒͜

Hmmm?
Haha, I remember the game! You're not supposed to think about it! Otherwise you lose..

Which unfortunately, it seems we've all lost! Again..

Return to “Mind Power, Focusing and Mental Mastery”