Being Out About Demonosophy

Questions and Answers for where to begin on the Darker Spiritual Paths.

Moderator: Akelta

User546
Patron Deities: Lord Satan, Lady Lilith, Lord Leviathan, Lord Lucifer, Lord Azazel, Lord Mammon, Lord Beelzebub
Your favourite Demon?: My Companions
Number of Demon Familiars: 5

Greetings Friends!

As my work with the Dark Lords and my new Demon Companion starts manifesting astounding blessings and powerful experiences at a rapid rate, I find myself in a conundrum.

Typically I am very open with those closest to me about my spiritual work and the effects it has on my personal growth.

I have been having more and more amazing experiences lately, but I am now hesitant to share them because of the stigma attached to Demons.

I am mentally trying to find a balance of wanting to be out, authentic, and proudly honoring these amazing entities while also not drawing unnecessary fear and stress into my innermost sphere.

How do you all handle this? How out are you with your friends and family?

Thank you so much for your thoughts.

:devilshock:
User1265455
Patron Deities: Paimon, Asmoday, Leviathan, Azazel, Amducius
Your favourite Demon?: Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 12

So, my mother is an atheist. She knows I'm a theistic Satanist, but aside from discussing the general philosophies behind the LHP, we haven't really talked in depth because she pretty much doesn't believe in spirits or entities. I find this pretty amusing because she's had some really weird experiences around me.

*Total side note, but when I was a teen, I kept a monster under my bed. MUTB bed down and I think eat dust bunnies... we had wooden floors. My mum went into my room with the dust mop, and I specifically told her, please don't dust under my bed - the MUTB won't appreciate it. She did anyway, and the broom "got stuck" (by which we all mean that my MUTB grabbed it and wouldn't let it go again). She yelled down the stairs for me to come to help her, and I had to bend down and talk to the shadows under the bed, saying, "Please give back the broom. I promise she won't ever do this again. Mum, do you promise?" "Yes. I won't bother him again." The broom came loose and shot forward to land at her feet. I still remember the look on her face... she really didn't believe me until that moment. However, of course, she's "conveniently" forgotten that experience, because, in her mind, she can't be an atheist if invisible things are real.

So we don't talk about invisible things. Instead, we talk about philosophy and ethics and what personal responsibility means. She knows I work with demons but she's decided that actually means I'm just confronting my issues by externalizing them through ritual. *shrugs*

Anyway... my dad doesn't know, but I haven't seen him in five years, and I'm not likely to see him ever again, so... it doesn't matter whether he knows or not.

I'm out on facebook, so it's probable that if other relatives are actually paying attention, they know - but none of them have asked me about it or acknowledged it in any way at all.

My husband knows everything. He knows I work with demon companions and spirit companions, he knows I'm a theistic satanist and demonolatress. He knows I've been doing demonolatry Goetia, and he knows I'm working my way into the Qlippot. He's gone to work with Tease a few times when things were really bad - his work is sometimes pretty dangerous, and sometimes the danger comes from other people just flat out being careless and not doing their jobs, so Tease goes to work with him to kick people in the ass and get shit done... or get those people gone.

My son I don't think knows - but I haven't been hiding it from him so much as he's just got his own life and he's busy living it - and we really only talk when he's having the typical troubles of a young man today - our phone calls are basically me telling him, "This is what I lived through, and this is how I dealt with it, and this is the consequences, and this is what I learned." If he ever asked, I'd tell him.

I don't believe in keeping secrets from my loved ones, but mostly, they don't care what I believe, as long as I'm a good person, which they think I am.

Each family is different. Each relationship is different. Knowing the people in your life well enough to know what you can talk with them about, and what they'd prefer to not know, is important to how you come out about theistic Satanism and spirit work... or really, anything.

If your family is strictly religious, or if they prefer the don't-ask-don't-tell approach, or if they're openminded and willing to listen - well, only you can really know that. Use your past experiences with those people to determine how you choose to approach this.

Remember that not talking about something isn't the same thing as flat out lying. Remember that you are entitled to privacy, and if you need to keep this aspect of your life private to protect your relationships, and those relationships matter to you, then you keep it quiet.

If you want to be out, and there are people in your life who would not appreciate it... be out to the people who can, and let the people who can't think what they will. You can always come out - there's no time limit. If you need to wait until you're on your own, do that.

If you really want to come out, start laying the groundwork ahead of time. Start talking, not about the Demon Lords, not about companions, but about the philosophies that the LHP has formed around. Talk about the 11 laws that LaVey set out. Talk about the nature of personal responsibility. Talk about the way the LHP stresses consent.

The more you talk about the philosophies and where you stand ethically and morally, the more comfortable you make other people... so that if "I'm a theistic demonolater and satanist ever comes up, you've laid the groundwork to be able to say, "Well, yeah, everything we've talked about, that's Satanism."

Good luck, and trust what you know of the people in your life. :devillove:
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series
User546
Patron Deities: Lord Satan, Lady Lilith, Lord Leviathan, Lord Lucifer, Lord Azazel, Lord Mammon, Lord Beelzebub

Nyctophilia Raven wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:47 am
So, my mother is an atheist. She knows I'm a theistic Satanist, but aside from discussing the general philosophies behind the LHP, we haven't really talked in depth because she pretty much doesn't believe in spirits or entities. I find this pretty amusing because she's had some really weird experiences around me.

*Total side note, but when I was a teen, I kept a monster under my bed. MUTB bed down and I think eat dust bunnies... we had wooden floors. My mum went into my room with the dust mop, and I specifically told her, please don't dust under my bed - the MUTB won't appreciate it. She did anyway, and the broom "got stuck" (by which we all mean that my MUTB grabbed it and wouldn't let it go again). She yelled down the stairs for me to come to help her, and I had to bend down and talk to the shadows under the bed, saying, "Please give back the broom. I promise she won't ever do this again. Mum, do you promise?" "Yes. I won't bother him again." The broom came loose and shot forward to land at her feet. I still remember the look on her face... she really didn't believe me until that moment. However, of course, she's "conveniently" forgotten that experience, because, in her mind, she can't be an atheist if invisible things are real.

So we don't talk about invisible things. Instead, we talk about philosophy and ethics and what personal responsibility means. She knows I work with demons but she's decided that actually means I'm just confronting my issues by externalizing them through ritual. *shrugs*

Anyway... my dad doesn't know, but I haven't seen him in five years, and I'm not likely to see him ever again, so... it doesn't matter whether he knows or not.

I'm out on facebook, so it's probable that if other relatives are actually paying attention, they know - but none of them have asked me about it or acknowledged it in any way at all.

My husband knows everything. He knows I work with demon companions and spirit companions, he knows I'm a theistic satanist and demonolatress. He knows I've been doing demonolatry Goetia, and he knows I'm working my way into the Qlippot. He's gone to work with Tease a few times when things were really bad - his work is sometimes pretty dangerous, and sometimes the danger comes from other people just flat out being careless and not doing their jobs, so Tease goes to work with him to kick people in the ass and get shit done... or get those people gone.

My son I don't think knows - but I haven't been hiding it from him so much as he's just got his own life and he's busy living it - and we really only talk when he's having the typical troubles of a young man today - our phone calls are basically me telling him, "This is what I lived through, and this is how I dealt with it, and this is the consequences, and this is what I learned." If he ever asked, I'd tell him.

I don't believe in keeping secrets from my loved ones, but mostly, they don't care what I believe, as long as I'm a good person, which they think I am.

Each family is different. Each relationship is different. Knowing the people in your life well enough to know what you can talk with them about, and what they'd prefer to not know, is important to how you come out about theistic Satanism and spirit work... or really, anything.

If your family is strictly religious, or if they prefer the don't-ask-don't-tell approach, or if they're openminded and willing to listen - well, only you can really know that. Use your past experiences with those people to determine how you choose to approach this.

Remember that not talking about something isn't the same thing as flat out lying. Remember that you are entitled to privacy, and if you need to keep this aspect of your life private to protect your relationships, and those relationships matter to you, then you keep it quiet.

If you want to be out, and there are people in your life who would not appreciate it... be out to the people who can, and let the people who can't think what they will. You can always come out - there's no time limit. If you need to wait until you're on your own, do that.

If you really want to come out, start laying the groundwork ahead of time. Start talking, not about the Demon Lords, not about companions, but about the philosophies that the LHP has formed around. Talk about the 11 laws that LaVey set out. Talk about the nature of personal responsibility. Talk about the way the LHP stresses consent.

The more you talk about the philosophies and where you stand ethically and morally, the more comfortable you make other people... so that if "I'm a theistic demonolater and satanist ever comes up, you've laid the groundwork to be able to say, "Well, yeah, everything we've talked about, that's Satanism."

Good luck, and trust what you know of the people in your life. :devillove:
Thank you so much for your incredibly thoughtful response!

I loved reading about your MUTB, tee hee!

Yeah that's really good advice. I've already kind of been doing that. I come from a very open minded family and my friends are as well. Lately I've just been bringing up the topic of the word Demon and how it's often been used as a weapon by dominator culture against many indiginous religions deities. That's spawned some really cool conversations around the dinner table.

I've also been noticing how people so often used the word "dark" when what they really mean is "harmful." It's really common in the new age scene, which I participate in because I do energy healing with crystals. People often use language like dark energy, dark entities, dark intent etc etc to mean harmful. There is such a bias against darkness and dark themes, it's no wonder so many of the world's problems are trapped firmly inside the shadow.

:seasaw:
User1265455

Flux wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:32 pm
I've also been noticing how people so often used the word "dark" when what they really mean is "harmful." It's really common in the new age scene, which I participate in because I do energy healing with crystals. People often use language like dark energy, dark entities, dark intent etc etc to mean harmful. There is such a bias against darkness and dark themes, it's no wonder so many of the world's problems are trapped firmly inside the shadow.
So, that language you've been thinking about? Think a lot more about it.

When we refer to anything bad, we say it's dark or black. When we talk about anything positive, we say it's light, or white.

The words we use to describe baneful magick vs. beneficial magick are inherently tied to racial perspectives, and many of us are working as hard as we can, in our own language, and in informing others, to clear our magickal language, our jargon, of this inherent racism.

As you say, there is a bias against darkness and dark themes, and that is not accidental.

As for the rest - you're very welcome, and I'm glad that you feel you're on the right track. :)
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
User546

Nyctophilia Raven wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:46 pm
So, that language you've been thinking about? Think a lot more about it.

When we refer to anything bad, we say it's dark or black. When we talk about anything positive, we say it's light, or white.

The words we use to describe baneful magick vs. beneficial magick are inherently tied to racial perspectives, and many of us are working as hard as we can, in our own language, and in informing others, to clear our magickal language, our jargon, of this inherent racism.

As you say, there is a bias against darkness and dark themes, and that is not accidental.
I absolutely agree! This is one of those things that once you're aware of... It's so shocking to see how it pops up everywhere.

It's actually how I knew that I'd outgrown my last metaphysical mentor. She made a point at the beginning of our training to use language like "harmful lower frequencies of energy" but pretty quickly fell back into the biased language.

I've changed some of my exercises to be less biased and it feels so much better doing them that way. For example a basic practice was stated as "breathing in Light, and breathing out Darkness." Yuck. I've altered it to "breathing in Love, and breathing out Fear." I like that a lot better.
Gauche
Number of Demon Familiars: 2

Flux wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:57 am
Greetings Friends!

As my work with the Dark Lords and my new Demon Companion starts manifesting astounding blessings and powerful experiences at a rapid rate, I find myself in a conundrum.

Typically I am very open with those closest to me about my spiritual work and the effects it has on my personal growth.

I have been having more and more amazing experiences lately, but I am now hesitant to share them because of the stigma attached to Demons.

I am mentally trying to find a balance of wanting to be out, authentic, and proudly honoring these amazing entities while also not drawing unnecessary fear and stress into my innermost sphere.

How do you all handle this? How out are you with your friends and family?

Thank you so much for your thoughts.

:devilshock:
I think a majority of us tend to follow the path of not hiding it yet not overly going out of our way to say how we worship. Personally, I am similar to noc. I explain my interpretations and the way i comprehend things and people tend to gauge me by my actions as a person. Sure i will admit it freely if asked,but i dont feel compelled to tell. Then again,anyone that goes out of their way to ask me either knows me on a personal level, or they feel things. I have literally had a reiki master stop her session and ask me point blank why i was different. She said my crown chakra tends to stay open and feels like a waterfall when she would pass over it,then kept referencing that she felt i was more than just me and that she kept getting pulled to my left side from femine energies. My companion is female,multiple energy workers reference my crown being open lol and my companion does favor my left side--and also uses my crown for connection as opposed to my third eye--we try crown to crown.

Really everything comes down to perception. Some people say demons are dark,i say they are divine. I dont differentiate between the two. In my understanding energy is energy,it isnt dark or light and rather what makes the difference is how its directed and with what intent. A demon in my eyes is just as divine as a biblical angel.

If you think about it,most people see exorcisms as some sort of working of light..but really..is it not a form of execration magick to force and entity that was unwilling to leave a host?
And on the inverse, a dark lord or lady could actually help you perform an exorcism and no one would be the wiser. Same thing, but it doesnt make one exorcism light and one dark..you know? Instead..i just refer to them as both divine. In my eyes its still a form of execration 🙄
Just imagine a desperate scream from far away;You can't hear what its saying but you know whats about to happen and its going to be really...painful

User1265455

Flux wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:15 pm
I've changed some of my exercises to be less biased and it feels so much better doing them that way. For example a basic practice was stated as "breathing in Light, and breathing out Darkness." Yuck. I've altered it to "breathing in Love, and breathing out Fear." I like that a lot better.
I really like that. That's a very good change.
User546

Nyctophilia Raven wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:09 pm

I really like that. That's a very good change.
Thank you! It feels way better. :devilthumbs:
User546

Gauche wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:52 pm
]

I think a majority of us tend to follow the path of not hiding it yet not overly going out of our way to say how we worship. Personally, I am similar to noc. I explain my interpretations and the way i comprehend things and people tend to gauge me by my actions as a person. Sure i will admit it freely if asked,but i dont feel compelled to tell. Then again,anyone that goes out of their way to ask me either knows me on a personal level, or they feel things. I have literally had a reiki master stop her session and ask me point blank why i was different. She said my crown chakra tends to stay open and feels like a waterfall when she would pass over it,then kept referencing that she felt i was more than just me and that she kept getting pulled to my left side from femine energies. My companion is female,multiple energy workers reference my crown being open lol and my companion does favor my left side--and also uses my crown for connection as opposed to my third eye--we try crown to crown.

Really everything comes down to perception. Some people say demons are dark,i say they are divine. I dont differentiate between the two. In my understanding energy is energy,it isnt dark or light and rather what makes the difference is how its directed and with what intent. A demon in my eyes is just as divine as a biblical angel.

If you think about it,most people see exorcisms as some sort of working of light..but really..is it not a form of execration magick to force and entity that was unwilling to leave a host?
And on the inverse, a dark lord or lady could actually help you perform an exorcism and no one would be the wiser. Same thing, but it doesnt make one exorcism light and one dark..you know? Instead..i just refer to them as both divine. In my eyes its still a form of execration 🙄
Thank you for your input! I agree with you that everything is fundamentally energy and that energy is at it's basic level neutral. Intent is everything!

It's so funny you mentioned that story about the reiki master. I've also had a couple similarly funny experiences with energy healers. In one, I was having a reiki healing done long distance. The Healer would also go into a trance and connect with your guides and get what she called soul level information to pass onto to you.

When she was relaying her experience, she told me that she'd never seen a soul like mine before and was baffled. She could only say that it came from a place of incredible darkness. Of course I was tickled by that, but didn't totally understand it yet.

Now that I'm further along my journey on the path of night, it makes complete sense.

:ideadevil:
Dragona
Patron Deities: Hecate

As I have gotten older, I've been more out about my beliefs. When I was way younger, I didn't really want to say anything to anyone and thinking about it now, perhaps it was also because things were new to me and I was making my own choices and I did worry about how others would view me.

At the present, if I meet someone new I will just tell them I'm Pagan; I don't think I need to spell things out to people who I may or not meet again and even if I end up running into them again or a person I would know a bit more and hang out with from time to time doesn't mean I'd spill the beans on everything I believe or what I practice. I may say some things here and there but I don't just offer the information up; the person will really have to say something of interest for me or on the other hand really get to me in a bad way because I will end up standing up for what I believe in.

My husband is an atheist but he'll listen to what I have to say or ask me some questions here and there but he's fine with what I believe and what I practice. I have told him some information about demons and he was quite interested. I have a teenage son and if he were to ask me about anything I have or my beliefs and so on, I'd explain the best way possible so he'd understand without boring him (I hope not) but, I wouldn't lie to him, I have never done that with my son and I see no reason to start doing that.

Return to “Starting out on the LHP and the Dark Spiritual Paths”