Endurance training basics

A section for celebrating health and wellness!
Obsidian Goddess
Patron Deities: Hekate, Belial, President Camio
Your favourite Demon?: My own Demonic Darkness
Number of Demon Familiars: 4

I promised to post some basic exercise and fitness info here, and planned on starting with a topic about meditation, spirituality, and exercise but I decided to start out by first posting some basic guidelines for both endurance and strength training. I will do endurance training today, then around the end of the week I will be back with the strength training basic guidelines. I am going to break things down into small bits and pieces because I am not very patient with typing, computers, uploading images and videos, etc. Today, my thoughts are very pre-occupied, for whatever reason, so please excuse the typos and grammatical errors.

Ok, so let’s start with how hard should you train for endurance fitness. I choose to start here because when I train my clients, the first thing I want to see them accomplish is a fair amount of cardiovascular fitness. The reason for this is simply because with a stronger heart, you have better blood flow to the muscles which in turn facilitates more oxygen and nutrients to the parts you are working on, thus better results in the long run. However, to achieve total fitness, you must work on endurance, strength, and flexibility.

Here are some terms to know before I explain how to calculate your proper intensity level for endurance training:
RHR. Resting heart rate. Average for individuals over 10, including older adults is between 60 and 100 beats per minute (bpm). Highly trained athletes can have a resting heart rate between 40-60. When I used to train for half marathons and marathons, mine was 38 bpm! Gender and age doesn’t have much to do with your resting heart rate nearly as much as lifestyle does. The more active you are, the lower yours will be.
Maximal heart rate (maximal HR) The fastest your heart can beat without you having a heart attack. It is measured in beats per minute and is calculated as follows:
For a low estimate you subtract whatever your age is from 220.
For a high estimate the formula is 210 - ( .5 x your age).
An interesting thing to note is that highly trained endurance athletes can push themselves as hard as they can but their hearts will never reach the maximum heart rate... they reach a plateau and that is where their heart rate stays. Their muscles may give out but their heart recovers fine!
Target heart rate (THR): this is the rate you want to get your heart up to, and keep it there for at least 20 minutes for starters if you can. If you have to slow down the pace a bit for a breather that’s fine, but don’t stop moving for at least 20 minutes... but a lot longer eventually, as you soon will get in better shape . You want your target heart rate to be between 70%-85% of your maximal HR, So once you find your maximal HR, multiply it by .7 or .85. Here’s an example... I am 52 years old, so my maximal HR is 168 beats per minute. I then multiply 168 by .7 which gives me 117.6, so to train at a low intensity level I would try to maintain a heart rate of 117 or 118. For a higher intensity, I would multiply 168 by .85 for a target heart rate of 142.8, well.. 143.
It doesn’t matter what type of cardio workout you do. It’s all good. I do however suggest to do multiple different things. Run a day or two, bike or stairclimb a day or two. Although all endurance activities work your heart in the same way, this helps give your different muscle groups a more equal amount of training and facilities better blood flow, circulation, and delivery of oxygen and nutrients to all of the muscle groups more equally. Ice skating, and cross country skiing are also great winter activities for endurance and they are lots of fun too! Go sledding and run up and down the hill repeatedly. Get in a snowball fight for half an hour or so. Have fun with it! Just make sure you train at least 4 or 5 days a week, and try to not take 2 days off in a row . On your days off, have active rest... go walking or something, but no couch-potato behavior allowed!
If anyone has questions, just ask... it’s what I am here for. :devilgrin: :headbang: :headbang: :devilbanana:
Passion, sadness, eroticism... the pain and pleasure of lust... so deliciously and dangerously irresistible!
Passchendaele
Patron Deities: none (yet)
Your favourite Demon?: Beelzebub, Lucifer, Lord Satan, Marquess Marchosias
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

I hope you don't mind, but I copied this to a handy sheet of paper that I think will come in handy when I start doing the things you have suggested.
A sheet of paper is ever-so handier than my computer if I need to check numbers while hiking up a mountainside. Of course, I could just be "modern" about it and use my phone, but I need that for taking pictures. So, sheet of paper it is. :grindevil:
"Push something hard enough...and it will fall over."
Fudds First Law Of Opposition

“All art that is not mere storytelling or mere portraiture is symbolic...If you liberate a person or a landscape from the bonds of motives and their actions, causes and their effects...it will change under your eyes, and become a symbol of infinite emotion, a perfected emotion, a part of the Dark Divine Essence.”

William Butler Yeats

(The italicized word “dark” is my addition.)

Return to “Health and Wellness”