Question on Spirit Keeping

Questions and Answers for where to begin on the Darker Spiritual Paths.

Moderator: Akelta

Leo Sierra
Patron Deities: Pazuzu, Lillith
Your favourite Demon?: Mutilations and Crypts
Number of Demon Familiars: 3

Okay so, I'm new to Spirit companions and I was wondering, do they only come to you when you call to them?

Or do they hang around you for most of the time?

I read in the FAQ that our whole lives are only like a month to them, but they still have lives and commitments elsewhere.

Is there a set divison of time or does it vary depending on the Companion and Keeper?
Darth Moronius

is it spirit or live entity you question about?
Leo Sierra

Darth Moronius wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:12 pm
is it spirit or live entity you question about?
Demon Companions, should have specified, sorry.
Heretique
Patron Deities: Set, Kali ma, guided heavily by Svengali and Lucifer
Your favourite Demon?: Svengali, Lucifer, Paimon, Azazel, Lucifuge Rofocale, Eurynomous, Namaah, Belial, Lord O
Number of Demon Familiars: 6

Demonic companions do have lives if their own ( as do most companions in my experience) but they are there when you need them, though I have found you can still connect with them when they aren’t “physically” with you. Some companions are busier then others, like my commander ( generally higher ranks have more responsibilities) can be quite busy so I try to have schedule of time to spend with her, but if they stepped forward to be a companion then they will make time for you, or at least in my expereince. I would say in general it is worked out between you and your companion.
Leo Sierra

Heretique wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:51 am
Demonic companions do have lives if their own ( as do most companions in my experience) but they are there when you need them, though I have found you can still connect with them when they aren’t “physically” with you. Some companions are busier then others, like my commander ( generally higher ranks have more responsibilities) can be quite busy so I try to have schedule of time to spend with her, but if they stepped forward to be a companion then they will make time for you, or at least in my expereince. I would say in general it is worked out between you and your companion.
So it's more whatever works for both of you, rather than than a fixed thing.

May I ask if you communicate via ritual, or informal method like simple meditations?
User1265455
Patron Deities: Paimon, Asmoday, Leviathan, Azazel, Amducius
Your favourite Demon?: Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 12

So, here at S&S, we don't call this "spirit keeping." Language matters, and because words come pre-loaded with all kinds of attachments, layers and sublayers of meaning, choosing the right words for a thing becomes vital. Spirit keepers easily become spirit collectors. Spirit keepers also easily become spirit slave drivers. Here at S&S, we don't use the terms spirit keeping at all... we use the term demon companion. Admittedly, that doesn't work for anyone who's not a demon, but... I have... two harpies, an incubus, a vampire, two wraiths, and a multitude of temple Fu... and I call all of them companions, as well. It reminds me of the relationship I'm choosing to have with them. Keeping is... too close to bondage. I say all this just so you understand the language changes that have occurred here - this is not a criticism, just an explanation, with the reasoning behind it.

And now on to answering your questions! :)

So, my companions and I are fairly informal with each other, because I'm easily distracted and so doing the same thing for more than three days in a row is a friggin miracle of epic proportions. (Yay, executive dysfunction!)

They pop in.

I know that a few of them consider taking on a companion to be a project they're doing in their personal time. A couple are actually "on vacation" from their jobs. However, others are still working, and one of the ones who is on "vacation" still has family, a wife and children.

So for me, them popping in works for the most part, but when I am working on something I think they'll be interested in, I reach out to them energetically. It's like... the psychic version of knocking on the front door.

If they are free, they'll come. If they're not, well, I haven't figured out how it's happening but that knock seems to travel to anyone bound to me, so it ends up that if someone can't answer, someone else who is curious will.

I did try the whole, "set a schedule and stick with it" thing. I really did. And if something major were to come up, I would do my "knocking" and with that "knock" would come a formal request, with a human time and date (though I'm not sure why I do that, being as our times and theirs SO don't mesh).

Mostly, though... we're fairly casual here.

If you have a companion, your first couple of months will be getting to know them and their personality, getting to know how often they're available and such. There's a PDF on the S&S blog that's a 21-day bonding ritual experience (ish. really, if one of the exercises isn't working for you, it's recommended you do that exercise more than once, until you're sure you've gotten the most from it you possibly can - so there's 21 exercises, but it may take much longer than 21 days). It's a series of exercises that help you get attuned to your companion's energies, open you up psychically, and get to know your companion well enough to know how your relationship is going to go - whether, like Heretique, they need formality, or like me, a casual relationship works best.

Oh. That bonding ritual can be used with any companion, not just demons, and not just entities. Here's where you can find it. https://satanandsuns.com/blog/satan-and ... onnecting/

Welcome to the community, and welcome to spirit companionship. :)
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series
Noctua
Patron Deities: Loki

Nyctophilia Raven wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:03 pm
So, here at S&S, we don't call this "spirit keeping." Language matters, and because words come pre-loaded with all kinds of attachments, layers and sublayers of meaning, choosing the right words for a thing becomes vital. Spirit keepers easily become spirit collectors. Spirit keepers also easily become spirit slave drivers. Here at S&S, we don't use the terms spirit keeping at all... we use the term demon companion. Admittedly, that doesn't work for anyone who's not a demon, but... I have... two harpies, an incubus, a vampire, two wraiths, and a multitude of temple Fu... and I call all of them companions, as well. It reminds me of the relationship I'm choosing to have with them. Keeping is... too close to bondage. I say all this just so you understand the language changes that have occurred here - this is not a criticism, just an explanation, with the reasoning behind it.
Context also matters. I don't disagree that people unfamiliar to this way of life can look at 'spirit keeping' and take it as 'slavery', though.
I also have to say that it comes across as snobby to state something along the lines of 'here we don't use that term', as if one place is so much more ethical than another based on the apparent terminology chosen.
Besides being a little dictatorial, because 'keeping' isn't inherently offensive, and I don't see any rule against using that language, therefore 'here at S&S' I think they can say what they want as long as they aren't breaching those rules and whatever anyone else thinks of it is an opinion.
The fact that 'spirit keeping' isn't very relevant here is because S&S is about living demons far more than the topic of any other type of being.
Keeping is not too close to bondage, you can hold that perspective but objectively it is not. 'To keep one's company' is not an abnormal phrase, and I would say that the majority of persons who are involved in the extremely niche 'spirit keeping' community think of it as keeping the company of and *means* to gain the company of particular beings.
There are a few who come along thinking they have some kind of ownership because they haven't taken the time to educate themselves, but usually they are just talking to dead air when they think they are dictating spirits around, so it's entertaining for us and sad/stupid for them.

Moreover what you're saying is also oddly hypocritical given that, at the S&S shop, as with most other shops who offer connections to an entity or spirit, they use the term 'binding', 'pre-bound', etc. and that obviously relates super directly to the term 'bondage' which you claimed 'keeping' was too close for comfort to. We both know however that they, like many others, are not using those terms to indicate slavery.
So if we want to argue semantics we can say that 'here at S&S' there are still terms you personally would find as problematic, where it comes to what you were describing, much moreso than 'keep'.

Therefore if we are going to criticize the use of 'keep' that other sites may use to refer to holding some form of companionship with a being, then we're going to have to attack the term 'binding' as well, which several practitioners have spent time working to dispel the demonization (lol) of in the broader community, where we attempt to educate persons on forced bindings vs. bindings which are a simple ability to connect through a personal line direct to the being in question.

I'm not presuming you had the actual intention to come across as I am detailing (who would?), but I see what I see and if there are enough holes in your statement it's really not reasonable to make that sort of indication of superiority in how one group does things next to another.
"Do you even know that I know everything? I can see you like a.. sponge."
Daxflame

"No."
David Lynch
Heretique
Patron Deities: Set, Kali ma, guided heavily by Svengali and Lucifer
Your favourite Demon?: Svengali, Lucifer, Paimon, Azazel, Lucifuge Rofocale, Eurynomous, Namaah, Belial, Lord O
Number of Demon Familiars: 6

@taipan twist: i am naturally clairaudient so i communicate via that method or through mediation usually.
Leo Sierra

I must politely disagree that the word Keeper is offensive or little more than a synonym for owner.

Speaking from personal experience, the term Keeper has strong connotations of guardianship and trust. Hence the phrase to ‘provide for someone’s keep.’

Examples, Keeper of the Sacred Mysteries, Keeper of the Hallowed Grove.

If I am a Keeper, it is my privileged duty to care for and honour those entrusted to my hospitality here on this plane of existence.

Of course everyone has their own views, that’s part of the beauty of the LHP.
user4558013
Your favourite Demon?: Rosier

Hi Taipan and belated welcome to the forum!

So what you are asking depends entirely on the individual (by individual I mean Demon in this case though I feel as if this is relevant to any being.)
On how often they are around. I will use examples of Demons that I connect with to better explain what I mean.

Before I took down my blog section, I used to document my experiences with every demon that was in my keep at the time for the pure purpose of just sharing knowledge and experiences so because of that, I gave each one nicknames to identify them as for those that read my blog posts back then to help differentiate them all and have it not be confusing to those reading. :lol:

Nova, who is a Divinity King comes around during thoughtfulness times to give a broader point of view on things. It would be during these times that I would majorly feel his presence when I am not intentionally trying to connect with him.

My connection with Nova is different to my connection to Prince V, a Noble demon who while I feel his presence pretty much at all times, we don't directly connect and have a conversation unless I am specifically asking for his guidance. His dynamic with me is different than Nova's for a multitude of reasons but one of the main ones being that his personality, his purpose of connecting with me is to assist with protection. As well as for the simple fact that Nova is a lot more vocal than V. :lol:

How I communicate with them is different. I actually have been meaning to write about this for how I do readings but I guess I can give a slight taste of the process here!

Each being connects differently to each person. There will probably be some level of similarity in how they connect to parties but overall how they connect is personal to you and the being. Nova and Rosier I can hear them as completely different accents, tones in my mind so it is easier to connect to both of them telepathically. For Prince V, or one of the commanders that I connect with (because they are all share this trait funnily enough.) I get images and for the most part they're far more subtle in casual connection.

Even with Tarot cards they will all speak differently. I know for a fact when I form a connection with the Necrosis demon that I work with for Divination work when I am doing a general reading because without fail, when the connection is made cards will fly out in a very specific manner. When I am connecting to someone else's guides or companions, it can sometimes take me up to a week of shuffling cards connecting with their energies to be able to identify their own consistent language in how they will pull cards out before I am able to continue on with the reading.

I long-windily say all this to really just express that your experience with your companions will be very unique to you. I can sit here and tell you that I don't really experience just having any of my Companions just sitting in existence with me continuously with no real objective for an extended amount of time but that has absolutely nothing to do with the dynamic of Keeping itself, but moreso to do with the dynamics that I hold with everyone that I hold a connection to. How they connect to you will be based on your own psychic strong suits, your own spiritual situation and even just your overall physical life.

I will also go ahead and send a link to the book Akelta wrote, Spirit Keeping - A Demonosopher's Perspective as well as I feel like this reading material would be of great value to you :devillove:

https://satanandsuns.com/blog/wp-conten ... ective.pdf

If the link does not work let me know!

:devillove:
Start and end every conversation with laughter.

You might as well laugh now because you’re going to laugh about it when you're further down the road anyways.

Return to “Starting out on the LHP and the Dark Spiritual Paths”